Search results

1. S

Kef LS60 and Room correction?

The Dynaudio Focus series has the feature set the OP wants. Have you listened? I have to say, I like the Dynaudio sound too. This site makes me wish for Revel and Focal to join the active speaker market too. Offer Dirac with all of them and we would be so spoiled for choices.
  2. S

Focus - new active Dynaudio speakers

They do have a wave guide, iiuc, which partly explains the good measurements. No substitute for sending a pair to @amirm of course and getting the full spins and comparison.
  3. S

A review just came out in Stereophile, with measurements. https://www.stereophile.com/content/dynaudio-focus-10-active-loudspeaker Can someone with experience and knowledge with speaker measurements comment? I really wish John Atkinson measured distortion. I'd like to compare the low end...
  4. S

Technics SB-C600

Anyone heard the Technics SB-C600 speakers, announced last Sept? Any measurements?? There was a thread here about the earlier SB-C700, which arguably sounded and measured better than the original KEF LS50s...
  5. S

KEF LS50 meta vs LS50 Wireless II

Yes it is! Temporary might mean a few happy years :)
  6. S

KEF LS50 meta vs LS50 Wireless II

Update: I got the passive Meta with a sub and kept the TDAI for now. The 1120 doesn't have digital out. It's a temporary solution until I get actives with room correction built in.
  7. S

I'll add that eventually I would expect an all-in-one solution to sell for less than separates and deliver better sound for the price. While these kinds of speakers are still new, there isn't yet much competition, and sales volume isn't high enough for full economies of scale, it makes sense...
  8. S

It's also to be expected that they would discount the old model when the new one has just launched. What was the going price in Australia a year ago? Imo, $2,500 USD for premium two way passive speakers that reach down to 50 Hz is fairly typical of the market. Make it active for another $2,500...
  9. S

Interesting! Thanks for those details. In the LS50 the surface area of the mid range drivers is smaller, and they need higher excursion, so it makes sense to add the shorting ring and disc. It might be that the more conventional driver in the Dynaudio has similar or lower distortion. The...
  10. S

The Focus 20 XD listed for $5,999 USD and the Connect hub was another $499. The new Focus 10 is actually a price drop of $1,000, with one less box and room correction. It's a price cut across the line. I'm not saying that makes it a bargain, but at least the prices are moving in the right...
  11. S

The way Dynaudio described their Focus tweeter, it sounded like they might have an equivalent to the KEF "meta" material for absorption. Is that right? I don't see anything like that in the woofer diagram, if I'm interpreting it correctly. Are there objective specs that are worse for the...
  12. S

Philharmonic BMR Monitor Semi-Objective Review - Road Show Stop 1

That drum solo sounds great! It makes me think domes aren't so bad on drums that are recorded well.
  13. S

It's true, most music is delivered through inexpensive speaker amplification. A good home amp and speakers can easily do better than the typical music venue. When I go for live shows, it's the percussion that always sounds so different to my ears. Thanks for the drum solo recommendation! I'll...
  14. S

Thanks! This is really interesting and makes sense. At least part of it is in the recording and mix.
  15. S

A question for the community: To my ears, no speakers I've ever heard are able to reproduce the sound of percussion -- drum sticks hitting cymbals, or clapping hands, or snapping fingers -- with enough realism that you could close your eyes and really imagine you were hearing the live...
  16. S

Monitor Audio Concept 50 announced

They're definitely trying to make a visual statement. It does seem like it's out of the same playbook as the Blade. It's not as practical or compact a design. To shrink them down much, they'd need to switch to LS60 style opposed outward firing woofers instead of inward. Also, I have a hard...
  17. S

Passive Speaker Recommendations for USA (by @sweetchaos)

Am I misinterpreting the data on Stereophile and SoundStage? For several years, Stereophile has shown off-axis response plots like this: And SoundStage plots 15, 30, 45, 60 and 75 degrees off-axis, split into two plots. Here's an example of 45/60/75: It's a lot of valuable data that can be...
  18. S

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

He's sincere. He's good at explaining features and summarizing the marketing literature. It's obvious to most people here that he's wrong about many things, but he's not a bad person. In one video, he mentioned that he was fine with 384 kb compressed audio and didn't particularly notice the...
  19. S

Yes. Eg, Platin makes a transmitter for $179 that converts HDMI or optical to WiSa. There are others. I haven't tested any of them though. I am definitely not an expert, but my hunch is that it really shouldn't make any difference, unless there's signal unreliability. I would hope any input is...
  20. S

After a little reflection... I feel like Dynaudio has got basically the ideal feature set here. If anything, they're a little ahead of the industry. Not many TVs support WiSa yet, but once enough do, there's really no need for a streaming box to plug cables into for most people. Vinyl and CDs...
Top Bottom