Search results

1. S

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

The frequency spectra of both an infinitely sharp step and an infinitely narrow pulse contain all frequencies from zero to infinity. According to the time-frequency uncertainty principle, 2pi * delta(f) * delta(t) >= 1, where delta(t) is the width in time (duration) of the pulse or step, and...
  2. S

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

Headphones. :cool: To be serious, deep bass harmonic distortion performance of speakers correlates well with the total area of the bass drivers. The Revel F206 has two 6.5 in (diameter) drivers for a surface area of 2(pi/4)(6.5^2) = 66 in^2, the Revel F328Be has three 8 in drivers =...
  3. S

What volume level do you use for classical music? Loud or quiet? What are your opinions regarding relaxation and volume?

I think one of the great things about classical music is it includes so many sizes and types of ensembles you can find pieces suitable for any use or occasion. Pretty much all classical has a wider dynamic range (SPL difference between the loudest and softest passages) than typical pop music...
  4. S

Spending big bucks on HiFi Audio

I've noticed that a current trend in the classical music world is imperiling the living space and maybe the sanity of collectors: releasing "complete editions", all the recordings by a given conductor, artist and/or ensemble on a given label, and enticingly priced in cost per disc. For example...
  5. S

I don't doubt that, but the total waste of resources from an environmental point of view is due to the sum of actions by industry and consumers - and very concept of "fast fashion" indicates that the industry is selling the idea to consumers "you should replace your clothes more frequently to...
  6. S

I had to check to remind myself of what that looks like, and I say well worth the price for those who can afford it - especially the "in your face" factor if the owner can arrange for it to be viewed by professional or social rivals. Gives the impression it's going to come to life any moment and...
  7. S

From a report "Fast Fashion and its Environmental Impact in 2024", I don't think there are any audiophiles / audio enthusiasts who throw 85% by weight of their existing gear in the trash each year, so we're way ahead of the fashion industry (which is much larger because it appeals to a larger...
  8. S

Question about amplitude, frequency and energy in an audio signal

I wonder what the power spectrum for a string quartet recording looks like, probably not quite as weighted toward the bottom octaves.
  9. S

Question about amplitude, frequency and energy in an audio signal

I found a good reference on basic physical properties of sound waves, including examples from our shared obsession (audio systems): "Sound", chapter 17 of "University Physics Volume 1", published online by openstax.org, a division of Rice University, under a Creative Commons license...
  10. S

Looking for Warm Headphones with a Certain Sound Signature

The Philips SHP9600 headphones are currently available directly from Amazon, "New, Ships from Amazon.com, Sold by Amazon.com, Customer Service by Amazon.com", which I understand is your preference. But to discover the "true Amazon" option, you need to scroll down the page I listed before, look...
  11. S

Looking for Warm Headphones with a Certain Sound Signature

The Philips SHP9600 headphones are currently available from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9600-Headphones-Open-Back-00/dp/B08B477BHS
  12. S

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Any tower speaker in the Wharfedale Diamond line, or Elac Debut, or the Elac Debut Reference tower (I think that's just one model).
  13. S

More reviews of entry-level AVRs?

I suggest more reviews of recent, entry level, multi-channel AVRs (typically 7.2 nowadays, less commonly 5.2) would be useful to people getting started with their home audio / theater hobby. There are a fair number of reviews of other types of entry level gear, such as loudspeakers, but not so...
  14. S

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

2016 model year or later Denon and Marantz AVRs and AVPs support MultEQ Editor (for Android and iOS) and MultEQ-X (Windows). I think Audyssey did a good job in making their MultiEQ-X app (Nov 2021 +) compatible with 5-year-old hardware ("piggybacking" on the hardware support for the previously...
  15. S

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

The three DSP versions internal to AVRs/AVPs, MultEQ, MultEQ XT, and MultEQ XT32, are still used by Denon/Marantz. The following list shows what's in the D/M hardware from the most recent model years. MultEQ, does NOT support external apps: Denon AVR-S660H Marantz NR1510 (slimline) MultEQ...
  16. S

Loudness Management (Fletcher-munson?) - Dolby vs Audyssey Dynamic EQ in current generation AVR's

I suspect Audyssey Dynamic Eq + Dynamic Volume is better than alternatives for my purposes because of the "fine tuning" adjustments. I mean the 4 reference level offsets (0, -5, -10, -15) on Dynamic Eq, which lets you choose the strength of the loudness compensation at lower volume, + the 3...
  17. S

Audyssey MultEQ Frequency Range

As previous posts suggest, if you are using a separate audio analyzer program like Room Eq Wizard (REW), you can compare your system's frequency response with Audyssey on (full range correction) and Audyssey off. That will show whether Audyssey is solving any problems at higher frequencies. If...
  18. S

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

I don't have a Denon X4700, I have an X4300. Very likely the same behavior of pre-out clipping (or at least SINAD getting a lot worse) above 1.4 V rms happens in many generations of Denon AVRs before the Xn700 (model year 2020) generation. But those earlier generations don't have a "preamp mode"...
  19. S

Yes, from that graph and the accompanying commentary by amirm:
  20. S

Are there any measurements showing how high the preamp output voltage can go before clipping, in "preamp" or "internal amp off" mode? I see the figure showing the pre-outs clip at 1.4 V rms with internal amps on. But this figure stops at 2 V rms, and shows the pre-out signal is still clean (very...
Top Bottom