Search results

1. N

Which integrated amplifier headphone jack style is the best? Resistor vs seperate circuit?

When it comes to integrated amps and their accompanying headphone amplifiers, which style do you think is the best? Resistor from main speaker output, or when there is a seperate circuit and amplifier powering the headphone jack? The reason that I ask is that I have a yamaha A-S501 which uses...
  2. N

What's everybody's thoughts on the Wharfedale Diamond 225s?

Have a pair self being driven by a yamaha A-S501 which is being fed by a topping D10S Not a bad set of speakers IMO - great bass.
  3. N

CONFIRMED: WiiM Mini is perfect for the Yamaha A-S501.

So I recently found a brand new Yammy A-S501 for AUD $520 on sale on the Australian Amazon website and couldn't help my self - since the RRP is closer to $1000 with the 'sale' price being 700ish.. Saw that it had a USB power supply on the back along with the coaxial and optical input DAC and...
  4. N

Class AB amps (Cambridge/Yamaha) vs Class D (Loxjie A30, SMSL, etc)

The class Ds offer way, wayy more value for money, but are they of the same quality as a class AB Yamaha A-S501, for instance? Currently have a cambridge Audio Azur 550a - so wondering if a Loxjie A30 would be a 'step up'?
  5. N

Turning bookshelf speakers on the side (horizontal) vs upright (vertical)?

Does this make a difference in your opinion? I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225s coming that I am planning to lay on their side and put my TV on, so that they provide a platform for the TV and make space for the center speaker under the TV. These will be hooked up to my integrated amp...
  6. N

YOUR experience with Wharfedale Diamonds 225?

Just bought a pair of these for a rather cheap price - what should I expect when I receive the order?
  7. N

How important is an AVR's 'rated output' for movie watching?

So yesterday I'm walking through my neighbourhood and about 800 meters away from my place, I'm walking past an apartment complex/building, where I heard somebody's music playing from the third or fourth floor, and boy did it sound very loud, so loud in fact that I'm surprised that the person was...
  8. N

In your opinion, what is the 'gold standard' in subwoofers?

Based on my understanding there's the stuff you don't really want to buy, it's okay, but not worth the asking price - this includes subwoofers from brands like Klipsch, Polk, Sony, Wharfedale, etc. Then there's the 'good value for money' stuff from brands like SVS, Monoprice-Monolith, and the...
  9. N

Music streaming services (Spotify, Deezer, iTunes, etc) are only playing 2.0 on Windows 11 PC.

Even though I have a subwoofer hooked up, there's no music being played through it, unless there is a dedicated 0.1 channel - i.e. a movie on netflix which is 5.1. Does anybody know the setting that would be required to make the music play in 2.1? I've tried going into realtek speaker set up...
  10. N

Anybody have any information on this particular USD $25 Fosi Audio USB-DAC, pre-amp, and amplifier?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001511685339.html?mp=1 This thing looks like value for money - it even has copper binding posts... Gonna buy one and see how it goes - it can make for an easy raspberry Pi + Moode/Volumio streamer, with a dac and amp in one, powering the speakers.
  11. N

What's everybody's thoughts on 'premade' crossovers for DIY, speaker improvement, & restoration?

For example, the Aiyima shop in aliexpress sells speaker crossovers and freq dividers... ranging from one all the way to six frequency dividing bands.. - https://yimaglobal.aliexpress.com/store/group/3-Ways-Crossver/2148016_513531758.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.pcShopHead_11157324.1_3_2...
  12. N

Debating my next 'audiophile' bookshelf speaker purchase.

So i've been in this hobby for only about 8 or 9 months now and it's been a pretty good trip - started off with some Logitech Z623s, then went to a Edifier S350DB, expanding to some Wharfedale crystals and a Yamaha V6A, SVS SB1000, then added a Cambridge Audio Azur 550A, which i think sounds...
  13. N

Anybody PREFER listening to music on bookshelves or tower speakers only (without the subwoofer)?

So i currently have a cambridge audio Azur 550A driving a pair of wharfedale crystal 4.3 towers, which are a three-way design, with a frequency response ranging from 50 to 20 000 hz. At times I like to listen to music and sometimes I'll hook up my amp's pre-outs to the sub's input and it does...
  14. N

What's everybody's thoughts on the cambridge audio 'minx' series subwoofers?

Posting this in the right section this time - so i've recently purchased a CA Minx X300 subwoofer, which is an eight inch subwoofer and has a passive radiator on the bottom - reason for purchasing it? It was small and cost the equivalent of about $50 USD (100 here in Aus).. very good condition...
  15. N

What's everybody's thoughts on the cambridge audio 'minx' series subwoofers?

So i've recently purchased a CA Minx X300 subwoofer, which is an eight inch subwoofer and has a passive radiator on the bottom - reason for purchasing it? It was small and cost the equivalent of about $50 USD (100 here in Aus).. very good condition, etc - so i guess that i just 'felt like being'...
  16. N

Is it OK for a three-way designed speaker to out put the same tone through two drivers?

Say for example i have a three way loud-speaker with a separate tweeter, mid, and bass drivers and i play a 450HZ tone though the generator on google, and it's being output from both the bass and mid driver, would this indicate a flaw (or an opportunity to improve) with the cross over design...
  17. N

I currently own and use the Topping D10S as a DAC - will 'anything else' give me better performance?

So I'm currently running apple music on my macbook pro with the apple music 'lossless switcher' - this is great because i can easily connect a 5 meter long USB-C to USB-B cable from my laptop to my Topping D10S which is situated right next to my amplifier, with the analog connections measuring...
  18. N

Are SVS subs over-rated?

So everywhere that i go online, the SVS subs are the first to be recommended for both home theatre and audiophile use. My understanding is that they 'only' cost $500 USD and this is why they are a good purchase - or have i been mislead and there is something else truly great about the brand...
  19. N

EQ software for Windows 11?

Right now I am using the Realtek software that came with my asus motherboard, and it works quite well for controlling my 5.1 surround sound on the PC - I can adjust the delay/distance as well as the decibels. Although it's basic, it is really useful - but I was wondering if there was anything...
  20. N

What's your best, 'speaker cost to performance ratio', purchase?

For me it would absolutely HAVE to be a pair of Edifier's P17s that i'd purchased on sale from edifier's Australian website for a measly $65 dollars - this is the equivalent of some $45 USD/euros or british pounds. What do i like about these speakers? For the price almost everything. They...
Top Bottom