Search results

1. A

Erin's KEF Blade 2 Meta review.

I had them at a reasonable volume level, I wasn't trying to test the system like that one time I accidentally maxed out a pair of Q550s when comparing them with something else. I wasn't trying to disturb everyone else in the store, nor was I trying to break anything. It's just that in that...
  2. A

That is possible, I can't refute or support it, however. Though, I do find that KEF's Q950 towers have the "alive-ness" to some extent. Generally, I have attributed my experiences with this sound effect to having larger / more efficient tweeters and midrange drivers. I can't find any spins of...
  3. A

Yeah, I "heard" the blades once in a showroom with some decent amplification and a digital audio source (of some kind) driving them. Personally, I felt that the bass was pretty well done, and it sounded very "smooth" and "full". The room acoustics weren't ideal, but I could tell that they were...
  4. A

best home theater speakers (5.1) under 30k

I would second the Denon recommendation. They make good stuff, but as a disclaimer I haven't messed with any of the modern Dirac stuff. However, I would caution against KEF, depending on OP's room size. My main issue with KEF for home theater use is just that they seem to lack dynamic...
  5. A

best home theater speakers (5.1) under 30k

Or you could go passive, but JBL, if you want something that isn't just usable for elevator music... (See subjective comments of this review) (Yes, I agree that Revel speakers are good, but personally I like horns and compression drivers). Now, I do not know the size of your room, so I am...
  6. A

Opera Grand Mezza

General advice is that basically every speaker can benefit from integrating a subwoofer properly. General advice is also to have some way to apply a high-pass filter to the main speakers, either through a miniDSP (or similar) or an AV receiver. In your case, looking at the speakers you...
  7. A

Yamaha powered speaker block diagram

Out of curiosity, which processor did you use?
  8. A

Bingo. That's exactly what I thought. RE: The dynamic EQ discussion: I did some research and, based on what other forums are saying, it seems like the "Dynamic EQ" in this case is to restrict the bandwidth as the system approaches maximum output. In other words, it would shelf down the bass as...
  9. A

Yes indeed. Though I think that statement is referring to the limiters. Basically, what they are saying is that theoretically, the amplifier section can output 1000w to the LF driver, and 1000w to the mid/high driver. Therefore, they can say that the speakers are "2000W" speakers. However...
  10. A

Looking at it, it looks pretty standard for these kinds of powered speakers. I have attached a link to JBL's SRX812 manual. On page 3 it has a block diagram: https://jblpro.com/en-US/site_elements/srx812p-spec-sheet In my opinion, these are both their respective manufacturer's "high-end"...
  11. A

PS Audio sent Erin their speaker??!!

I started this post earlier today, and am just now finishing it, so it is a bit off the current discussion topic...: Good job @ Chris and the team at PS Audio. Despite PS Audio's reputation, I would say this speaker is definitely a solid performer, at least based off the measurements. The low...
  12. A

High frequency response, how important is it?

Doing the test, I have a hard time hearing anything above 14khz, with my headphones. However, I happen to know that the old wireless (not bluetooth) headphones I have are basically useless above that. I do hear differences when I experiment with a "low pass" to the treble. I would say that my...
  13. A

What happens if I cut the bass reflex cover of my Soundcore Motion Plus?

I will agree with this statement, but I have a few more points to add: 1. This speaker doesn't seem to have a port. It uses 2 woofers on the front and a passive radiator (or 2, I can't tell). This functions similar to a port in terms of how it can allow for more bass output, but they can...
  14. A

Kef Reference Meta reduced prices when new model released question

Yeah, the R series jumps from a 2-way design to a 3-way design with the dedicated midrange driver, if you aren't using subwoofers and bass management then that will make a difference from the Q-series. You can look up the measurements for the reference 1 and the R3. I don't know if linking to...
  15. A

Kef Reference Meta reduced prices when new model released question

While I haven't been following the prices on those speakers, I would say that getting them new, for less than half of their current price, is probably not going to happen. On the used market, maybe. But new, probably not. The truth of the matter is that while yes, there is a difference between...
  16. A

Any of the SRX800 series JBL worth pursing for home hifi .?

I should explain something else here. This may get a bit more technical and I would encourage anyone interested to do their own research into the theory behind horns and compression drivers. When I say the PRX900 series or the PRX812 will have better treble dispersion, I am referring to the...
  17. A

Any of the SRX800 series JBL worth pursing for home hifi .?

To start off with, I don't have experience with the SRX 835, or (knowingly) with any of the SRX stuff. However, I do have experience with the PRX812. My main opinion is that these are PA speakers. They are designed to provide a large crowd with good quality sound, not necessarily to provide a...
  18. A

“some amps run out of current first and some run out of voltage first” get me confused.

"It depends"... There really isn't a simple way to put it, because it's not simple. In some cases, having limited current capability can change the sound of a system (See Truthear's Zero IEMs, due to their "subwoofer", they are sensitive to DAC / Amp output impedance, ie: DAC/Amp current...
  19. A

When would headphones generate clipped sound because of insufficient power?

I responded to your other post, and just saw this so I figured I would restate a bit of what I said, for posterity's sake. My big post...
  20. A

“some amps run out of current first and some run out of voltage first” get me confused.

To answer your question, distortion occurs through numerous sources. One way it can occur is by not having enough output power to reproduce the input signal (ie, clipping). Some devices clip in a cleaner manner than others. For example, class A/B (non-switching based amplifiers) and tube amps...
Top Bottom