Search results

1. EarlessOldMan

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

I won't buy his cables until he exorcises the demons from them.
  2. EarlessOldMan

13 dBHL of hearing loss. Continue using IEMs and headphones?

Let me suggest that this is a question for an actual expert in the field. Talk to your audiologist or other person who is qualified to offer diagnoses and prescribe treatment.
  3. EarlessOldMan

The Truth About Vinyl Records

The Walmart near me is selling a Washburn-branded Strat-style electric in a single-single-humbucker configuration. It comes in a set with a 10-watt practice amp, cable, gig bag, stand, extra strings, and picks. I have bought a bunch of cheap Strat-style guitars over the past few years, and most...
  4. EarlessOldMan

That joke just slipped right past you, didn't it?
  5. EarlessOldMan

I have to know whether something cost a bunch of money before I decide whether I like it.
  6. EarlessOldMan

I don't know that Amir's methodology itself is flawed. He is transparent about it, and he responds to people who have raised questions about his methodology. Replication attempts would help us decide the question of the reliability of Amir's methodology. But that isn't a flaw in his methodology...
  7. EarlessOldMan

I have worked (as a lawyer) for companies that were certified by Underwriters Laboratories to conduct their own measurements of their products. The various standards organizations (UL, Canadian Standards Association, ISO and the like) provide a valuable benefit by establishing at least some...
  8. EarlessOldMan

The scientific method assumes that all individual observations are subjective and thus that any individual observation may be unreliable or invalid. We try to achieve objective observations by comparison of multiple subjective observations, thus eliminating observer bias. This is why replication...
  9. EarlessOldMan

Bernard23 makes some very important observations. I'd like to amplify on his comments, especially his closing sentences: All of us like to think of ourselves as being able to respond neutrally to inputs from the world that we inhabit. We believe that we're actually objective observers. And...
  10. EarlessOldMan

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

The Bergmann is beautiful. I have an FFYX T224 with an air-bearing linear-tracking arm, along with three older Japanese linear-tracking turntables (Technics, Hitachi, and Luxman--the last of which is very nice). With that said, I usually listen to turntables with pivoting arms. My current...
  11. EarlessOldMan

PS Audio PowerPlant 3 Review

Real connoisseurs know to use peat.
  12. EarlessOldMan

Now you tell me.
  13. EarlessOldMan

Vinyl Heads, Take Note

I'm 65. I grew up shooting guns, running power saws, mowing lawns with power mowers, and other such things without hearing protection. I have vicious tinnitus. I ain't fooling' myself at all: I know my hearing's shot, so I ain't gonna claim I can hear a danged thing particularly well . . .
  14. EarlessOldMan

Ain't it the truth. So much '70s US vinyl sounds pretty bad. To me, a lot of it has a sort of "boxy" sound. That poor quality has sent me back to records from the '50s and early '60s. I've been very impressed by the sound out of some of the Dot and Command disks that I have. Enoch Light had...
  15. EarlessOldMan

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

If I were working with the company, I'd be thinking about its obligations under Section 15(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Act, 15 U.S.C. sec. 2064. I'm not stating that the company has any such obligation at this time. I'm stating only that, if I were advising the company, I would want to...
  16. EarlessOldMan

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

I represented manufacturers in many lawsuits involving failures, or alleged failures, of electrical appliances--typically larger appliances. Any reasonable manufacturer will understand that a product will eventually fail. Moreover, some products will fail earlier in their designed lives than the...
  17. EarlessOldMan

We always worked with qualified experts (including engineers in-house at our clients). And in every case in which I represented a defendant, my understanding of the product and its role in the incident was vastly superior to that of counsel for the plaintiff or plaintiffs. It got to the point...
  18. EarlessOldMan

I also worked on a lawsuit brought after this incident in Jacksonville, Florida. I think that four people died in that one.
  19. EarlessOldMan

Ha! I practice in the U.S. I have bachelor's and master's degrees in English (along with my J.D.). It may be different in England. But I worked on a $1 billion claim out of Canada, and our Canadian counsel just had a law degree. Here's a video of part of that incident:
Top Bottom