Search results

1. S

Got a Chinese tube amp and now world is upside down

Sorry for the late reply and I absolutely am still in love with it. It will have to be pried out of my dead cold hands :)
  2. S

Very well said. I guess its about enjoying things and not always being serious :)
  3. S

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Yes I think that would be the case for the majority of people who listen for music enjoyment. After all few people ever do a blind listening session in a home scenario wondering which of these devices measures better. Most would judge by which they are enjoying or prefer listening to more...
  4. S

IMO, in a standard room, even one with some treatment, there are enough issues - that almost negate worrying about small issues or deviation out of some amplification or preamp devices. Of course I'm speaking in standard home listening of course. Many speakers put out quite a bit of distortion...
  5. S

Well I would have said measurements are super important but recently after me trying a tube amp out of curiosity and having my mind blown about how enjoyable what I'm hearing sounds - makes me wonder how important measurements are for a home audio setup and music enjoyment. I know its a...
  6. S

I actually did notice that even after about 5 minutes my amp was ready to go. I read online that one should wait like 20 mins but I think even 5 min was fine :) Also thats a neat looking amp right there. One thing I did with mine is put it on a APC R1200 voltage regulator set to 110V as I...
  7. S

Oh awesome! cant wait to do this on the weekend :)
  8. S

Hah well luckily I've got a bunch of gear to alternate between and try until I figure out whats going on. I'll list some songs and or albums that get me happy for one reason or other :) Obviously there is a ton more but things flying off the top of my head Dave Brubek - Take Five Bela...
  9. S

Oh that could then explain why it sounds more 'alive' and dynamic then. Interesting. I wonder if there is an RTA tool that can plot SPL over time at a decent sample rate and do it for a duration of a song) then I'd do the setup like I did - and play back, then compare the two and see how their...
  10. S

Oh very interesting post and thread there. Thank you for that link :)
  11. S

Oh sorry didnt mention that. I do try and level match. The way I do it - not sure if this works but I basically feed the amp a tone at the desirable volume I want with one of my amps, then put a resistor on the output and measure the voltage drop across, then I do the same with the other amp and...
  12. S

Oh fantastic. I'm checking it out. Great find :) So all in all, quite a low power amp but watching to see what he says :) ... so having now watched the video. Seems its a very reasonable performer - low power aside!
  13. S

Ya I was fully prepared to hate this thing because the idea of tubes in this day and age seemed silly. LOL. Then I got seduced somehow lmao
  14. S

You have a very good point! So I've voiced my speakers to be fairly neutral (or as much as I can just passively crossed over) and the high frequency driver is a titanium compression driver. I wonder if its a little unforgiving and the tube then makes a lot of the music feel more pleasing and...
  15. S

Anyone in Toronto - and going to the Audio Fest?

I go once every few years just as a means of seeing what new stuff is out there and hanging out with friends. Anyone else going to this? I think I'll be there saturday :) https://audiofest.ca/toronto/
  16. S

Thank you my friend. I think I'll always have the solid state - so it will be something to flip between depending on the mood but I thought I was going to buy this thing and basically have it be like a little joke but it definitely pulled the right strings for me and now my mission is finding...
  17. S

LOL ya I mean I guess I've read about the tube distortion so I know it cant really be technically better or not even close but mentally its doing it for me LOL. I'm almost trying to convince myself I'm crazy for liking it but at the same time i'm telling myself I dont care haha. Also I was...
  18. S

Thanks David. Yes I think so. And my guess is that its also dependent on the speakers. I am planning on taking this over to a friends place to hear it on his setup - his speakers are 93db@1W. Just want to see if it still does things I'm liking or falls apart on different speakers or setup :)
  19. S

Oh interesting, didnt think of the distortion adding perception of detail. I always thought it was mostly perceived as warmth. I should look more into this. Definitely the amp is struggling with EDM at very high levels but sounds surprisingly together at mid levels (80s to 90's)
Top Bottom