Search results

1. Sancus

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

Ah what I meant to say is that there's little advantage to wider directivity in mch, not that directivity is irrelevant either way. I agree with you, I think there may be some advantage to narrower directivity for that reason.
  2. Sancus

I've always figured that wide directivity Increases envelopment in a stereo situation because you're just throwing more energy into the room to form reflections. And it's pretty well established that stereo listeners like speakers that increase envelopment because stereo is so deprived of it in...
  3. Sancus

What he actually said(in reply to you on YouTube), for those who care about subjective opinions: Personally, knowing the reliability of my own auditory memory and just how often I've been surprised when actually doing a proper A/B test with sub-1s switches, I will seriously never understand...
  4. Sancus

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

DBA requires a minimum of 8 subwoofers so no. But it's pretty easy to manually calculate the delays and levels for DBA so you only need a miniDSP or similar to implement it. And at that point you could have any room correction system treat it as a single subwoofer. Dirac ART is (sort of) a more...
  5. Sancus

Do you understand what multisub is? It's not having more than one subwoofer in general. It's having multiple subs that play the same signal, not different signals. Like I said, GLM can do more than 1 sub but it will not optimize them to play together. It behaves a bit like Dirac with no DLBC or...
  6. Sancus

Sure, I know what the manual says. You can(obviously) use more than one subwoofer *in general*. But GLM doesn't do real multi-sub, by which I mean, setting delay, gain, and EQ filters separately and *differently* for each sub to achieve smooth bass overall. That is what MSO & Dirac DLBC do...
  7. Sancus

Yes, that's all true. I do like GLM a lot, and I use it with my system, it's just missing that one particular feature is all. 1. Certainly, yes. Cardioid bass also reduces sidewall interactions. 2. They don't have to be stacked but because the W371 can play as high as 200-300hz depending on...
  8. Sancus

GLM can't do any real form of multisub bass management which is a serious limitation for a domestic system, especially at the price. A nonGLM multisub system like miniDSP+MSO or Dirac ART can significantly outperform GLM.
  9. Sancus

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

It's because Tannoys all measure poorly and don't seem to have improved much since they invented them, they certainly haven't solved the problems that Kef has let alone Genelec.
  10. Sancus

FR variation around MLP, SPL in perspective

Single point measurements are not very useful or representative of what we hear in the first place, except for low frequencies where the change over distance is less. That's why you need to average bunch of measurements together to properly configure room correction or use MMM. You can...
  11. Sancus

Is the amplifier of SVS subs unreliable?

This is a question that has no real answer, because no one knows what people have subjected their subwoofers to and no one outside SVS has large scale data either. I have an SVS SB12 NSD from 2008 that still works about as well as it did 16 years ago. I'm not aware of any evidence that would...
  12. Sancus

If you played content that didn't go below 100hz and didn't get anywhere near SPL limits, I'm quite confident that you would hear variation in room effects long before you'd hear any fundamental difference between the various sizes of Ones, even if they were placed side by side. The bass...
  13. Sancus

Yes, there is some variance. It is noticeable but it doesn't ruin things unless the volume is set really high and I'm usually at 75dB average for tv/film. The loss is less than 6dB per doubled distance indoors because of reflections. The 6dB and 3dB figures assume an anechoic environment...
  14. Sancus

It's roughly 6m x 4m x 2.8m(ceiling). Now that I checked again, the surrounds are 1.7m away from the center seat.
  15. Sancus

Depends on distance and sub crossover but I use 8341As crossed at 100hz for surrounds and they'll do over 100dB without compression or audible distortion at 2m or so. 8351Bs will do almost 110dB at 2.5m. That is per speaker.
  16. Sancus

Honesty in specifications

Dunno what to say to this. Your post is just wrong on all points. Bit silly to even type it. That's true yes. Your measurements are pretty consistent though I do consider 4-5dB significant and it is audible. I wasn't saying it's literally impossible for one sub to ever be linear, I don't think...
  17. Sancus

How Many Inches?

Most non-pro, non-PA speakers sold these days are designed to at least fit in a HT, if not for that purpose specifically. So the width of a speaker is REALLY important, because you're often flanking a huge TV with limited space. Multiple smaller woofers provide a much narrower baffle without too...
  18. Sancus

In my experience you just don't get a linear response with one sub, no matter how hard you try, unless you genuinely restrict it to a single point measurement. But single point measurements are highly unrealistic, unless you're genuinely putting your head in a vice in a single seat. And two...
  19. Sancus

There are some sub manufacturers, like Arendal, that publish CEA2010 which is about as honest as it gets. It's becoming more common, but I wouldn't hold my breath for all mfgs. Some are built around dishonesty. That said, you always want at least two subs in a serious system. And there are...
  20. Sancus

Do I really need a sub? (including REW measurements)

People parrot this because Geddes said it in a pdf or maybe in a video, I can never remember. The documentation of his advice is terrible. It makes more sense when you understand he was talking about specific setups with truly gigantic sealed woofers(15", as I recall). It's a pretty bad idea...
Top Bottom