Search results

1. W

World's First Lossless High Resolution Immersive Streaming Service

For streaming no, for archival purposes, yes.
  2. W

No, Mercedes-Benz were the pioneers in ESC(Electronic Stability Control), so buying a Mercedes is not a bad value proposition though not now as every carmaker is required to offer it by law.
  3. W

It means that the audio codecs Opus & AAC at a bitrate of 192kbps are essentially transparent to listeners. They are unable to distinguish it from lossless files, so any service offering lossless is of little practical value other than bragging that you are subscribed to such a service.
  4. W

Does Anyone Else Enjoy The Sound From Their Smartphone Speakers?

A $20 Bluetooth speaker produces better sound than any speaker on a smartphone. I have never used the smartphone speaker in the last 15 years as most of them have a sharp drop-off around 1kHz and find them very bright. :(
  5. W

What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?

Detail retrieval isn't a term in ITU BS-2399. It is something used by recent audiophiles. It didn't exist even a decade ago I think and I have no idea what it means or its precise definition. Anyways, as a non-designer, here is what I found out by reading several technical articles. Distortion...
  6. W

The state of lossy audio in 2022.

In that case, increase the bitrate to 192kbps and call it a day. At 192kbps, modern codecs like Opus, AAC, and Vorbis are tied and essentially transparent.
  7. W

Why are you limited to AAC on iPhone? VLC player does support Opus. For streaming media, it doesn't matter much as there isn't any gain in transcoding.
  8. W

From what I know, the manufacturers(TV, smartphone, etc.) pay per device to the licensing body. Here is the licensing cost. https://www.via-la.com/licensing/aac/license-fees/
  9. W

How can you type so much wrong information? Like audiophiles who claim that Apple invented AAC. AAC is still covered by patents while the patents on MP3 expired in 2017.
  10. W

How do you hear headphone 'soundstage'

You can do a simple test. Select some music where you have heard soundstage and pickup a open headphone. Listen to it at a corner of a room and middle of a room at the same volume level. Do you feel a difference? That would give you an idea.
  11. W

Look at the above rtings link I posted above. I don't think crosstalk is negligible. If the crosstalk is above the threshold of hearing, then it is audible. While psyco-acoustics might come into play and we may not be cognizant of it, the ITD and ILD contributions of those crosstalk affect the...
  12. W

Rtings actually measure these parameters. Look at their explanation here. https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/open-vs-closed-back. (Read the soundstage section).
  13. W

From what I have read, the notch near 10kHz when listening to a pair of speakers at ear level and interaural time difference(ITD) helps our brain locate the source in a three-dimensional space. If the source is above the ear plane, the notch moves to the right like 11kHz or above. Many...
  14. W

Well, the sofalizer plugin requires sofa files and I don't know how to use IR files. Besides, if they are uncorrected, it won't match how we would hear from a pair of speakers in a room?
  15. W

I can't extract from Spotify due to DRM. I have attached another sample music that sounds great. To aid in blind testing, I have named them just A and B. Open the text after you listen.
  16. W

These don't seem to be in sofa format?
  17. W

I can't find Strive on Youtube. Could you attach Strive? I think copyright laws do allow small snippets to be shared. That is a good question. AFAIK, the sofa files contains the only intra-aural time difference and volume of the sine sweep as it arrives at the pinna, so only one HRTF when you...
  18. W

It is the sofalizer plugin in ffmpeg. The HRTF that I used is from Neumann KU 100 dummy head measured at Helsinki University of Technology. If you have some sample(preferreably < 1min) where you hear soundstage, I could process it and upload.
Top Bottom