Search results

1. H

What seventies / eighties Mono Film and TV microphone could this be?

Hi, I am using a Sennheiser MKH-417 shotgun mic and made a full documentary fearure with it: Trailer: Complete feature: https://fishermansframe.gumroad.com/l/abtyf The MKH-417 is a working horse with a signature sound, but sounds off-axis sound bad of course. Just two days ago I stumbled...
  2. H

Adding SPDIF Output to Sony CDP-101 - Jitter-Free PLL Needed

Dear friends, I already added SPDIF-outputs to secend gen. CD-Players: CX23035-SPDIF Out No I would like to add it to the CDP-101, one of the very first CD-Players. Mine is in mint condition and ran for about 200hours. I bought it first hand from a dealer in 2014 who stored 3 units for about 30...
  3. H

Improving S/N ratio of Photodiodes in CD Players

Dear Friends, in many first gen. CD Players - but also a few later models - the RF-Amp for the photodiodes receiving the laser signal was mounted directly on the laser head. This resulted in a very clean Eyepattern as the weak current of the photodiodes did only travel a short path before being...
  4. H

Adding SPDIF Input to ES9038Q2M DAC

There are some nice DACs out there like the Topping D10s that have a small form factor, one default filter, are cheap, - but lack SPDIF input. "Only" USB via XMOS Reading the Datasheet of ES9038Q2M DAC https://www.esstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/ES9038Q2M-Datasheet-v1.4.pdf There is SPDIF...
  5. H

No portable Dacs / Headphone Amps for Airplay?

Nothing out there to avoid Apples s****y Bluetooth and flimsy Dongle-Dacs? I am not talking about Headphones, just a portable DAC/headphone amp that allows lossless at 16 @ 44.1 or 48. Best, Herbert
  6. H

New Movies that moved You!

There is no thread about this, so I´ll start - watched this at Berlin International Film Festival, Ta Farda This film has no distributor yet, hope it gets one and a worlwide release: "Fereshteh is studying and works at a printers’ shop in Tehran. She wants to go to the US but is having trouble...
  7. H

Modded a Loudspeaker a decade ago - I wonder what has theoretically changed

Remember this one? http://3a-art-et-acoustique-appliquee.fr/catalogue_en.php?nom=Audio%20Design&serie=Master&type=MM&version=V2 I bought them in 1990. They used to be from France, their successors are still built in Canada: https://reference3a.com/ Anyway, because the cabinet used to scratch...
  8. H

Audio Dropouts on Apple's Lighting to Headphone Adapter - and one Fix

As google gave silly results, here comes my problem and it's fix (not any more, see below): I experienced audio dropouts that very strongly hinted to a loose connection or floating contacts on my 10$ Apple Lighting to headphone dongle: After plugging it into my Iphone, sometimes only shaking...
  9. H

Keep Moving - Documentary Feature made by Member "Herbert"

Dear friends, I am very happy to announce that my documentary In Bewegung bleiben-Keep Moving is now available as Stream and download in Germany, Austria, Switzerland. Other European countries are to follow and I hope to find a world distributor for 2022. The documentary has English, Spanish...
  10. H

1 kHz at 0dB clips - by default?

Recently I tested my Buffalo II DAC from Twistedpear - a 1kHz sine 0dB test tone. There is a "squarelike" but faint distortion in the upper frequencies. But before running a verdict, I should mention that the testtone is from 1982, from an YEDS-18 Test disc made by Sony for service personnel. I...
  11. H

Another visible Proof why Records are Inferior

I never put attention on this, after decades I bought a used record (because it's CD-release is missing some tracks) and the surface shows bobbles. The trapezoid of my room's window is reflected very uneven. I checked three records, they all show this defect. All pressings from the seventies to...
  12. H

Advice on Crystal Oscillators

Hi, I am not looking for overpriced oscillator boards to upgrade your CD-Player that promise 0.1ppm. I am just looking for the xtal-cans themselves. Still the aim is upgrading a CD-Player, in my case it is 16.9344mHz. Looking @ Mouser and Digikey it looks like the best value is 10ppm. I...
  13. H

Adding SPDIF Output to old Sony-Based Compact Disc Players - schematics attached

Hi to all, thanks to solderdude and others, I am extremely pleased how well support in the DIY section of this forum works, especially for noobs like me. To give at least a little bit back, here is a schematic for the DAC-Nerds, developed 12 years ago with the help of people @ DIYAUDIO. This...
  14. H

Simple Signal Delay

I am working on an DIY-CD-player, that is mostly salvaged from an old Sony CDP + adding a modern DAC. The casing will be custom milled and has a motorized top lid that utilizes the electronics of the original tray. So far so good. But I want the design simple and not many buttons. Thus I would...
  15. H

Advice on Filter Capacitors for this LM4780 Board

Hi to all, I am just looking for advice on the board shown. It requires DC-voltage, but has already has 3x2200µF capacitors for each voltage rail mounted. See schematics C20/C28/C29 // C2/C13/C23 So building an unregulated power supply with recitfication and smoothing, I am wondering what...
  16. H

Any good Anodizers - Worldwide?

Hi to all, For years I am looking for good anodizers. I have learned a lot about aluminium alloys during the process, and in Germany where I live I have tried about a dozen of anodizers, scattered over the whole country. But almost none of them were able to finish the surface of my samples like...
  17. H

Longetivety and long Term Reliability of Today´s Integrated Circuits

Hi, the average age of my audio equipment is some 30+ years, the oldest being a Sony CDP-101, the most recent are a Buffalo DAC and the Khadas Tone Board. During those three decades since I bought the Sony and some other players besides lubricating gear or swapping electrolytics, not much had to...
  18. H

Iphone 4s and Iphone 6s sound muffled compared to Iphone 4

Now, this might be an odd request as the Iphone 4 are around for some time, but they make good DAPs and are fairly repairable. BUT: I replaced my Iphone 4 with an 4s - and the 4s sounds dull and lacks clarity. It is not like those "uhmm, I think the 4s lacks some... depth?Maybe?" impressions. It...
Top Bottom