Search results

1. Karls_speaker_works

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Stickers? I ain't got no stickers! I don't need no stickers! I don't have to show you any stinkin' stickers!! :D Probably never at this point. :facepalm:
  2. Karls_speaker_works

Correct, the Bedini BA-801 is currently driving the MLs as when I added rear surrounds, it would not allow me to have the rears as the only self-powered speakers to achieve a 7.0.4 configuration (the tactile transducer is not considered a sub.) I did not want to drag out the old amp and add it...
  3. Karls_speaker_works

x3800h drives these low impedance towers without an issue.
  4. Karls_speaker_works

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

No idea. Depends on the model and impedance curves. I drove Martin Logan Sequel's (spots below 2.5 ohms, 1.6 ohms min) with the X3800H without an issue, would still be doing so but to have 11 speakers I was forced to add an amp to drive the fronts. I had hoped for some certainty before...
  5. Karls_speaker_works

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

I thought this was a reasonable opinion. 3 days later and now the 3800 is gone and the DAC sounds "clinical"? TI DAC has nearly identical specs to the AKM DAC at 3.3V supply voltage. It's only when you raise the rail voltage to 5V that the AKM is significantly better THD+N -wise. (TI 5102A is...
  6. Karls_speaker_works

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

I stopped reading 2 pages ago. I asked similar questions earlier in this thread. I was told my posts were quietly being removed and that I might be banned if I didn't shut up, so I just said to myself "not my playground" and have mostly stayed silent here.
  7. Karls_speaker_works

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

I would equate the "poor" measurement to my ability to hear ultrasonic energy. I can likely feel a wheel vibration, but no matter how hard I try, I can't hear a 25kHz tone.
  8. Karls_speaker_works

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

The Bedini amp is a 35 year old discrete amplifier design with several feedback tricks discussed in the marketing blurb for reducing harmonic distortion. I believe most of the distortion reducing techniques are built into the IC amplifiers used in modern receivers. The class "A" (notice the...
  9. Karls_speaker_works

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Reminds me of spec sheets like this: Between no THD specs @ 4 ohm rating (though at least it's rated 200W 20-20k) and "sonic quality is subjective", I can hear heads exploding now! :facepalm: In spite of said discrepancies, this amp works exceedingly well to unload the tougher to drive load...
  10. Karls_speaker_works

Surround Sound Speakers Sizes

I use these tiny Gemstone speakers for side surround (shown below) and rear surround. Room is small (14' x 12') though with vaulted ceiling. The two drivers within the GS speakers are angled apart so it helps ensure sound gets to all listeners, even though they are fairly close to the seating...
  11. Karls_speaker_works

Marantz Cinema 50 vs Marantz SR8015

They all (3800/4800/40/50) use the same DAC.
  12. Karls_speaker_works

Is my new 65" Tv mounted to high?

My 65" is 41" to center of screen - seems ideal to me.
  13. Karls_speaker_works

Struggle replacing Old AVR - tried RZ50, 4800h, and Cinema 70 - what now?

Equipment or operator? You design and build prosthetic limbs for audio equipment?
  14. Karls_speaker_works

I feel like they did lower the surround boost in Dynamic EQ with latter firmware updates, though I didn't measure before/after, I just don't notice the surrounds being noticeably boosted now. The reason Dynamic EQ exists is human hearing can't locate sounds from behind as easy as from in front...
  15. Karls_speaker_works

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

There are separate low-pass crossover and gain settings specifically for the tactile transducer. Also, transducer gain can be adjusted on-the-fly (+/- 12dB) for each input source when gain is adjusted in the Options menu. I find it to be extremely useful, especially whereas I don't have any...
  16. Karls_speaker_works

Denon 2023 range X3900H/X4900H/X6800H announcement....!!??

Agree. Silly AVR is happy to pass through signals, but will only turn on manually (except in very rare instances.) If I try to disable pass-though, it disables CEC altogether - idiotic!
  17. Karls_speaker_works

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Yes, the issue is fixed in the X3800H and I have confirmed the distances are accurate. So no, you do not need to correct distances on your X3800H.
  18. Karls_speaker_works

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

My X3800 seems to handle my Martin Logan Sequels (L-R) + Motion 6 (Center - 4 ohms) just fine. The plot below is the impedance curve of the Sequels. They are below 4 ohms from 50 - 600 Hz (~2.6 ohms @ 400Hz), then below 4 ohms from 9 - 50 kHz, below 2 ohms from ~ 17 to 50kHz. I'm also driving 4...
  19. Karls_speaker_works

What percent of the power dissipation came from the "HDMI and/or graphics/video processing chipsets and DSP's"? The bias current through the amps is fairly easy to calculate and power drawn is easy to measure when the unit is idling. I would think it's at least 80% of the total dissipation of...
  20. Karls_speaker_works

New OLED Samsung S95B vs Sony A80K

I have the S95B, it has a great looking picture.
Top Bottom