Search results

1. Ricardus

(Dance The Night: Dua Lipa) left channel digital ticks/clicks?

This is true. One thing we should all strive for is keeping obvious glitches out of the music. I actually had some tracks once where I heard this little click, just like this, and I had to sort through all the tracks to find it, and it ended up being the footswitch that the acoustic guitar...
  2. Ricardus

This is what bothers me about modern production. So many of the people making music today are computer jockeys who think knowing audio engineering is knowing all of the Protools keyboard shortcuts. I had to sit next to a crotchety old-timer as an unpaid intern, and I assure you, my teachers...
  3. Ricardus

Is it the guitar player's fingers moving across the guitar strings? This is a common squeak noise.
  4. Ricardus

Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise soundstage

What does "precise sound stage" even mean? Unless you were in the room and saw where the mix engineer had stuff panned, how would you know if the "soundstage" was "precise"?
  5. Ricardus

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Unfortunately I've been busy with other things and got behind on my reading here. But yeah, anytime there is a new account spouting that nonsense I give it AT LEAST 90% odds it's a troll. But we have to be polite for a few days in case they are a real user who might have something to offer.
  6. Ricardus

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Right. But if expensive/exclusive brands didn't exit then narcissists like Jay couldn't have youtube channels.
  7. Ricardus

Why do you think a few members have an 'alcoholic anonymous' vibe towards the audiophile community? It seems a harmless hobby as far as things go?

I have seen this thread come up, and I read the OP's first post, and I still have no idea what he was asking.
  8. Ricardus

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

If you have a hearing deficiency, that deficiency will be the same for every DAC you're listening so and won't cause them to sound different. If they measure the same they sound the same.
  9. Ricardus

Peter Gabriel's 2023 album "I/O"

Wow. It's his best record in ages. It's almost as good as Melty Face Gabriel!
  10. Ricardus

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk.2 measurements

I mean, like... I would do that in a prototype, but not something I'm sending to a customer. PSA really is a joke.
  11. Ricardus

Are Mogami cables worth it?

I build all of my own cables for my modest recording studio and for my stereo, etc... I generally use Mogami or Canare, not because they will sound better, but just because the wire is built well, and some of the Mogami wire in particular has less memory than other brands. And since I'm making...
  12. Ricardus

DSD -> PCM conversion workflow

I can't believe people still believe this and are still repeating this. Please stop. It's not true.
  13. Ricardus

Can different CD *transports* sound different - when fed into the same DAC?

I usually mock them when they say that to me. I usually say something like you did and then have fun with it: "What isn't my most excellent system resolving? Is it forgetting to reproduce the bass notes, or the piano parts? And is it doing it on purpose? Like out of spite??"
  14. Ricardus

Cable Burn-In - Myth or Fact?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're off. Another account getting us to waste our time explaining things.
  15. Ricardus

Why do so many prefer the sound of "Class A" amplification vs. "linear" amps?

Yeah, I used to dream about getting the Reference series. They served me faithfully for many decades. I actually blew a tweeter back in the late 80s and Energy sent me a replacement.
  16. Ricardus

Why do so many prefer the sound of "Class A" amplification vs. "linear" amps?

I had a pair of Pro 22's that I bought in 1988 and I ended up putting them into a dumpster when I moved 18 months ago. I think one of the tweeters only needed ferro-fluid but I had no more room in my U Haul so I left them behind.
  17. Ricardus

How to cheaply measure AC power noise

I bet it's the speakers. Like someone said up there, it's VERY unlikely it's noise in the mains. If the gear you're using has decent enough power supplies, they should be taking care of that.
Top Bottom