Search results

1. confucius_zero

Do driver materials influence subjectively perceived sound textures if measurements are identical?

Some headphones use berylium, some speaker cones are paper instead of wtv composites, some tweeters are AMT-ribbon instead of metal or silk dome etc... Subjectivitists enjoy discussing such nuances and subtleties that are part of the analogic build design decisions of speakers, headphones etc...
  2. confucius_zero

Alternative pads to attenuate the midbass hump of srh1540?

Hey guys, I'm an owner of the Shure SRH1540 and enjoy it but was wondering what kind of pads can attenuate the bass to match DF target in comparison to the Stock Alcantara ones? So far, I've seen DIYaudioheaven try 940 and 1840 pads on it and it seem to change bass a little (in the case of 940)...
  3. confucius_zero

A RedZone DAC that's much better subjectively sounding than a BlueZone DAC?!

That got me curious. Since some here can't differentiate the sound quality between DAC SINAD numbers or claim these are irrelevant and inaudible, I'd like to be openminded to the idea that a RedZone DAC could beat a BlueZone DAC as a proof that bad implementation could be intentional in the...
  4. confucius_zero

Best spdif SINAD in a DAC?

Seems most here is measured by USB which is fine, but I'm looking to hook up a dac via a possibly dirty spdif. What is the recommendation is such a situation?
  5. confucius_zero

"Measurement data are one thing, and audio quality is another. "

Which makes me question the correllation of this statement...
  6. confucius_zero

SPL Phonitor E anybody?

https://spl.audio/professional-fidelity/phonitor-e/?lang=en I'm quite curious of this one as it provides a lot more power and headroom than any of the THX amps or the jds atom, geshelli archel2, schiit heresy mini amps...
  7. confucius_zero

Turntables?

Looking to get my first turntable. Not really sure what I should be paying attention to but so far rega planar 1, project DC and Sony ps-hx500 are names that came up. I'm considering adding a Cambridge duo per this site's recommendation but I don't know what else. This is not a thread of...
  8. confucius_zero

Value and depreciation of an expensive high SINAD product in a fast growth and cycle industry

It wasn't so long ago that the SMSL D1 reached 113 SINAD and costs above 1000. Nowadays, you have the SMSL M500, Sabaj D5 and Topping DX7Pro that matched it. If this keeps up, we'll be reaching an affordable 120 by mid-2021, like we reached an affordable god-tier SINAD in headphone amplifiers...
  9. confucius_zero

So this thing costs 43k....

https://www.audiostream.com/content/audio-note-dac-5-special-review-43500-question?fbclid=IwAR2ZkHwLfiNffcKvXJtIw0KA5rEToXA6Kair-e9tARvUPVmrOOdGD4Di1rA
  10. confucius_zero

What measurements number in the dashboard leads to a "warm and intimate" sound vs "colder more technical/clinical" sound?

It is true that higher sinad lead to something more separated more defined and true to the source. However, I wonder which measurement data can define the "personality" of an audio device when it comes to warm vs cold? The frequency response?
  11. confucius_zero

McIntosh MHA100 any good?

Seems looking at the DX7Pro and M500 and JDS Atom and all the thx 887 789 amps that we have reached some kind of "endgame" on measurements, but how would this 4000$+ lavish device compare?
  12. confucius_zero

Speaker amplifier frequency response hide and seek

I've noticed on some speaker amplifier reviews that Frequency Response measurements are either displayed or missing in action. Does it mean it matters less than the other measurements?
  13. confucius_zero

Focal's Jot THX 789 contender

Focal Arche 0.1 ohm output impedance. Dual-Mono Class-A amp. https://www.avsforum.com/focal-arche-dacamp-unveiled/?fbclid=IwAR3IlnSZtfD4aNqPaxzQclbgB8IuaFe-Zfh9tq5FM5SzBv2RmljH4u7fzOI
  14. confucius_zero

Reducing Output impedance of a DAC/AMP

Say the Apogee Groove has a huge output impedance of 21ohm. Can I diminish it by hooking it into a JDS Atom (1ohm)?
  15. confucius_zero

Can headphone THD measurements be considered as SINAD?

I'm new to headphone THD measurements but I've lately heard headphones of 1% THD and 0.3% THD and I can tell that those measuring at 1% especially in the mids and treble definitely deliver sound that feels "annoying/fatiguing" to listen to.
  16. confucius_zero

THD and SINAD Correlative Math Equation?

Remind me how THD relates to SINAD again? how do you translate it? (THD+N ?%)*equation = SINAD ?DB Thank you
  17. confucius_zero

Size/Footprint of device and Performance correlation?

The JDS Atom is quite small yet would outperform larger heavier devices (on numbers and possibly sound) that have more "things" making them heavier and larger or more impressive. I wonder if the size/weight of the device is often reflective or not of its performance? and why something small...
  18. confucius_zero

Amplifier THD relative to power?

I've spent a night looking at thd curves on this website... https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacniacze-stereo/s/20 When I look at THD curves, I see that it gets lower before rising back up again. The less powerful amps seem to reach low THDs at low power and the more powerful ones reach it...
  19. confucius_zero

Teac's Hypex Amps

To those who don't want to DIY a Hypex Ncore amp... https://hometheaterhifi.com/press-releases/teac-announces-two-new-amplifiers-2019/
Top Bottom