Search results

1. K

Acoustic design for 2 ch vs 5.1

Music to my ears, so to speak. I was sceptical about it, if for no other reason that it doesn't seem to be a topic argued about in all the many A/V forums out there. I think it might have been about creating a very dead environment so each individual speaker in a 7.1 system is very localized...
  2. K

Acoustic design for 2 ch vs 5.1

Today I stumbled onto somebody's audio blog claiming that the media acoustic treatment/design differs between 2 channel audio and mutichannel surround, especially 7.1. Sadly I forgot to bookmark it or I'd post the link. If I can find it I'll do so. Anyway, the claim was that the acoustic...
  3. K

How to treat soffits in soundproof listening room

Excellent idea! And it could be doubled with Green Glue between for even greater effect. Just 3 sheets would likely be plenty for the soffit. Thanks,
  4. K

How to treat soffits in soundproof listening room

Hope this is the right place to post. If not, sorry, just move on. Anyway, my soon-to-be media room is framed and electrical is now going in. The plan is to use the well established design of "floating" the walls and ceiling using resilient channels and clips with double drywall, green...
  5. K

Wiring for media room

Thanks for the comments, very helpful. My electrician is excellent and has done lot of work on the house in the past, so I won't have problems with the GFCI stuff or lazy shortcuts or any of that. Having a dedicated breaker box is a nice idea. Amp is a ML No. 332 driving big Magnepans @ 4...
  6. K

Wiring for media room

My media room is proceeding apace. Next step is finalizing electrical layout and wiring it up. The idea is 2 new 20A circuits. One will be dedicated to big, high current power amp. Someplace I read or heard that armored BX cable is (or might possibly be?) better than romex for audio uses...
  7. K

Another Roon thread - do I need it?

Thanks to all. I went back and looked at the library to refresh my memory. I pretty much dropped the whole project when I took up steaming in a big way. The library turns out to be over 25,000 files though many are just cover art etc. Still, a lot of stuff (~850Gb, 4263 folders and 1 folder...
  8. K

Another Roon thread - do I need it?

Again and again I keep hearing how great Roon is. So, I keep reading about it and trying figure out how I'd really benefit and always come away feeling that I'm missing something or there's something I don't understand. Here's my scenario: My "real" stereo is in a listening room (or will be...
  9. K

Listening room snake oil?

Listening room design and materials was one of the topics discussed during a recent visit to a fancy audio salon (more details on that HERE). One new thing I learned about was the importance of the proper floor covering fiber choice, as most listening spaces are carpeted. To my surprise I was...
  10. K

Unexpected convo at ultra high end audio salon

This turned out to be more interesting than I would have guessed, thanks. To elaborate a little, the $700 switch was the tip of the iceberg. The owner kind of latched on to that cause I'm running a big server (though mostly for video). Also, somebody mentioned room EQ. We actually did talk...
  11. K

Unexpected convo at ultra high end audio salon

On a recent trip to NYC I dropped into an uber high end salon just to check it out. It's owned by a big name audio guy who has been in the business for decades. Usually they're appointment only but I got lucky and we ended up chatting for at least an hour. This was followed by some serious...
  12. K

Cable management (NOT a "which fancy cable" thread)

On the other hand there's this approach...... [Vientiane Laos, Nov 2019]
  13. K

Can 70V audio distribution system deliver decent sound?

Thanks to all. Wow. It looks like maybe I can get some use or of one or two off the cable runs. Maybe. All this elevates the last, and maybe most interesting, question: why?? The previous owner was a retired cop who seemed to have LOTS of money to spend {that's another question in...
  14. K

How skinny can speaker cables be?

Audio is a strange thing. It always seems like after all the theory the answer so often ends up being "just try it," LOL. Anyway, I think I'm in luck. After my brain-fart cleared I realized that the cables are all 4 conductors, hence I've actually got 2x the cross sectional area that I...
  15. K

How skinny can speaker cables be?

For starters let me be clear: I'm not a believer in special magic cable voodoo. At the same time I do believe that there must be some limits. At one extreme, for example, running inefficient current-hog speakers with a 300wpc amp using hook up wire is probably going to have some detrimental...
  16. K

Thanks for the comments, which caused me to dig deeper. 4-conductor wires were used to connect the amp with the respective volume controls. Only 1 pair was used however, hence speaker pairs are all mono as noted above. It wouldn't be hard to get rid of the volume transformers and reconnect it...
  17. K

Multiple cables. There are 3 2-conductor cables where the old amp was. These go to 3 transformer-type volume controls on the wall. Each of those seems to feed a >>pair<< of speakers, . Looks like respective speakers were wired in parallel , nothing here seems to be 2-channel. He could have...
  18. K

I just moved into a new house wherein the previous owner spent gobs of $$$ on various odd technologies. These include elaborately wiring every room for cable TV (75ohm coax) and speaker wires all through the house to run a 70V audio distribution system with in-wall and in-ceiling speakers all...
  19. K

AMROC for Dummies - need help

OK, thanks much, very helpful. In summary, what I take from all this is basically to ignore the calculators. And this, because no real-world room that I'm likely to construct will be acoustically good enough for it to matter much. Instead, focus on room treatments and positioning. This...
Top Bottom