Search results

1. Cote Dazur

more accurate amplitude, phase, and time response

What does it mean to have a speaker with more accurate amplitude, phase, and time response? Is amplitude, phase, and time response measured by Amir when he measures speaker performance for the review? What would improved performance look like when a speaker has more accurate amplitude, phase...
  2. Cote Dazur

1960’s rock or other mono recordings recommendation.

What would be the recommendations for albums recorded at the dawn of stereo, making it gimmicky in stereo in many cases and the mono version much more representative of what the artists had in mind. To start with, what would be the best mono version, for the debut Pink Floyd album, Piper at the...
  3. Cote Dazur

Warble tones

When reading SPL from a listening position, while playing warble tones from test CD or file, should all the tones have the same SPL in an ideal world? Would that show a flat frequency response? What is the best use of warble tones, if any?
  4. Cote Dazur

Ear getting tired

Are our ears getting tired the way our eyes are getting tired? I have seen anecdotal comments from people claiming to suffer from ear fatigue. I am not looking for those type of comments. Is there studies out there that scientifically explains if ears are getting tired? Is it even possible...
  5. Cote Dazur

A speaker appears more dynamic than an other speaker

Why would one set of speakers appear more dynamic, more alive, at the same spl level. Is it the frequency response?
  6. Cote Dazur

Bitches Brew

After re discovering Bitches Brew and listening to it more recently, I have a few comments and question to this forum members. As jazz is my favorite music genre, I also listen to other genre, but jazz, all kind of jazz, as been on top of my listening time for a good 15 years now, of course...
  7. Cote Dazur

Active headphones

We often here discuss the advantages of active speakers over passive speakers. Ultimately, an active speaker, if done well has the potential to be, and often is, superior to a passive design. Yet, active headphones are not often, if ever, reviewed as a superior option to passive headphones/IEM...
  8. Cote Dazur

Listening to Jazz, what era are you most enjoying? Mostly instrumental or mostly vocal?

I have a decent collection of Jazz recordings, digital and some analog (Vinyl) I listen at 80% to instrumental, I would enjoy vocal more, but, to me, the jazz vocal sound mostly dumb. Like cheap romance literature. So instrumental it is. I recently realized I am mostly listening to artist and...
  9. Cote Dazur

Graphic equiliser

I have read many time that a conventional graphic equalizer doesn't just change the amplitude at different frequencies, it alters the phase response too. Is it true? what does it mean (objectively) exactly: alters the phase response? I understand the advantages of parametric EQ and Digital EQ...
  10. Cote Dazur

Audio memory

It is often said that we have almost no audio memory. Past the echoic memory of a few second, it is said that we cannot remember accurately what we heard. But at the same time we can recognize a voice we have not heard in years, even on a bad phone or in a noisy environment. We can recognize a...
  11. Cote Dazur

Frequency affected when speakers near boundaries.

When placing a speaker near a boundary, say just the front wall, the gain is said to be 3 db, but at what frequency does the gain start to occur and what does it looks like? Just a flat 3 DB gain from that point?
  12. Cote Dazur

FR speaker room measurement

Could someone share a FR room measurement of speaker with 60/55 hz roll off when placed next to the front wall, preferably 3 feet away from side wall and the measurement with the speaker 3 feet or more away from the front wall. I am curious to see what are the frequency boosted by proximity to...
  13. Cote Dazur

Why is louder always better/preferred

This afternoon, I was home alone, I took advantage of the empty home to crank the volume higher than usual. I had a great time, from Norma Winstone to Norah Jones, with detour to Manzanera and Simon & Garfunkel, everything sounded spectacular and captivating. All the glorious detail and...
  14. Cote Dazur

Tivoli PAL

As any of those: Ever been measured here or anywhere else?
  15. Cote Dazur

IPad (or IPhone) EQ

How do you EQ on a IPad, beside the useless EQ profile in ITune. What are the people on ASR using, since EQ is so important to listen with Earphones. I do most of my Earphones listening on my IPad, from itune but also other streaming services. The solution I am looking for is not adding a box to...
  16. Cote Dazur

Audio Quality in Streaming media

This video about Streaming media, but not only, is so well made, it is worth listening to if you are streaming audio. Put a fresh perspective I have never seen before.
  17. Cote Dazur

Just a great audiophile myth buster video

Just a great audiophile myth buster video, might have been posted before, but new to me, explains so much of the non sense in so little time.
  18. Cote Dazur

UK vs North American sound

A nice YouTube video on the difference between UK HiFi and North American HiFi Sound, from a nice UK chap.
  19. Cote Dazur

Recommendations on wired headphones

Looking for recommendations on a wired headphones that will work well connected to a Apple dongle on a iPhone and iPad and also at the headphone connection of a CD player. Full over ear, not expensive. This to enjoy music, not monitoring. I will not EQ.
  20. Cote Dazur

Linn speakers measurements

I would be interested in seeing Linn speakers measurements, older or present models. I did not see any here at ASR, or anywhere else.
Top Bottom