Search results

1. R

Behringer Truth B2031A - how truthful is it? (review / modding)

I bought my 5th B2031 speaker (1 Dec 2023). It is virtually identical to the previous ones from ~2 years ago. Here are the results - stock (purple) vs mod (white). In room measurements from 0.5 meters away.
  2. R

Mackie HR824 MK1 Studio Monitors: Factory Anechoic + In-Room Measurements

Wow, Behringer not only cloned the speakers with their B2031A, they also cloned the individual calibration sheet. And then copied the ports and front face from Genelec 1031a.
  3. R

Behringer Truth B2031A - how to flatten it with the switches in the back only

In my review & mod of the speaker, most people liked my tinkering to make it better, but some "understanding" souls told me I know no engineering or that I simply got a broken speaker. Well, I bought two more! With 3x B2031a purchased each separately over the course of 2022, I have a good view...
  4. R

Kali IN-8v2 vs LP-8v2

I managed to resist buying new speakers for 3-4 months now, so it is time... The Kalis are positively reviewed and I'd like to experience them. From Erin's Audio Corner, it seems the cheaper cousin (LP) performs as well as the more expensive one (IN) that is double the price. What am I missing...
  5. R

Monoprice Monolith T6 measurements and questions

Monoprice had the sitewide 15% sale 2 weekends ago and I decided to take the plunge. The T6 towers were highly rated on the site and well reviewed by Audioholics, so seemed like a great deal. I ordered the full home cinema set! Anxiously I unpacked the front tower speaker first, placed it by...
  6. R

JBL 306P MK II Review (Studio Monitor)

I am almost certain that the hiss is switching noise induced into the analog path. By measuring things with the oscilloscope, I can see that the noise is actually very strong but mostly above the audible range. The difference is that the 305's have lower supply voltage and amp gain, which I...
  7. R

JBL 306P MK II Analysis

Adapter 2.5 cm extra offset Outside Measurements In room at approximately the same placement, but not exact: The tube resonance is apparent at 14 kHz, thankfully not much of an issue for my older ears. Factory pre-equalization is now becoming a problem after the drivers are phase-aligned...
  8. R

JBL 306P MK II Analysis

The main issue with offsetting the tweeter is that it fixed the cross over dip, but now I have +5 dB bump at 1.5-3.5 kHz.
  9. R

JBL 306P MK II Analysis

Hmm, the tweeter waveguide changes shapes depending on what bass you play... It turns out, I can. The pipe had less than 2 dB impact on the off axis measurements across the entire response band. I suspect the difference is from not exactly the same positioning. I tried 30 degrees horizontally...
  10. R

JBL 306P MK II Analysis

Fun fact: the datasheet specs the flash retention time at 20 years. Don't plan on leaving these kind of electronics for your grand kids, folks!
  11. R

JBL 306P MK II Analysis

Amir measured a dead spot at the cross over frequency right above the tweeter axis. This is readily apparent when playing a ~1.5 kHz tone and results in a musical reproduction that lacks presence: subjectively sound comes from around the speaker, not coherently from within the speaker...
  12. R

Thank you, and sorry, I don't have any reliable measurements of the B3031A before tinkering with them. I first modified them (8 years ago) before buying a calibrated microphone, and then modified them again after I upgraded the mic. Speaking of microphones, I had the ECM8000 before, which...
  13. R

JBL 306P MK II Review (Studio Monitor)

I have the same speaker and the 1.6 kHz dip is caused by driver phase misalignment and destructive interference at the cross-over frequency. The dip is gone vertically towards the woofer. However, going slightly upwards towards the tweeter (like most of us would listen to it) results in totally...
  14. R

I agree. As you can see in my plot, these speakers hit 37 Hz at -3dB. With EQ, you can get them lower. The cheap subs won't add much. You'd want a 25 Hz sub... And yes, I picked up mine last week for $199 + tax (for 1 pcs).
  15. R

Thanks. 50 cents to me, zero cents to Behringer if they had put the proper values to begin with. I don't think speaker-to-speaker variation can make things that much off. But perhaps over time production and materials drifted, while the schematic didn't change to accommodate. That's their best...
  16. R

As much as I also want to have it, I didn't save the out of the box measurement. The speaker was bright, so I adjusted the pot. At that time I had no idea nor intention that I'd be later writing a post about it and it would be featured in ASR! After sleeping on it, I decided to start messing...
  17. R

@Rick Sykora, you doubted my setup and asked what it is. I answered and I guess it seemed reasonable, so then you claimed I don't follow good engineering practices (still puzzled why you made this unsubstantiated claim). Instead of attacking my analysis, I suggest you ignore it if you cannot...
  18. R

Didn't expect such an attack on my skills, Rick ;-)
  19. R

I use the UMIK-2 mic, 1 meter away, right in front of the midpoint between woofer and tweeter. I measure in my bedroom due to nice damping from the carpet and bed with the door open (makes a marginal reduction in room modes). The speaker is on a stand, to keep it far from interfering surfaces...
Top Bottom