Search results

1. rarewolf

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

That’s a lot of work considering everyone’s ears are different… #jussayin
  2. rarewolf

What's the best I can buy?

If the OP does have a local library, he might look at JRiver’s Media Center, which includes its media server, and is less expensive than Roon. Or, if he believes he’ll primarily be using a streaming service, either will require a streamer. My smartphone works as a decent streamer (USB to...
  3. rarewolf

What's the best I can buy?

I cannot argue with the Topping suggestions. I would however suggest a DAC that can accommodate an occasional and convenient bluetooth connection. My Topping stack is the E70(Velvet)+L70 pairing. This stack also pairs well with the WiiM streamers .
  4. rarewolf

Thanks Dan for your input… I”m presently trying all filters, and currently it’s the 1-notch black. Still as engaging as no filter, still plenty of detail, and the number of albums recorded extra bright that would cause some discomfort are practically nil. The 1-notch white would be next to try...
  5. rarewolf

I’ve just received my Noire’s and during the burn-in period, I’m trying to get a feel for the differences between the tuning pads. My first listen was without any pads, and while amazed at the detail, I found them fatiguing after 3hrs. I won’t draw any conclusions during the burn-in, but let’s...
  6. rarewolf

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

Anyone have the faintest idea what “known issues” this fixes? Else, why would anyone take the chance when their L70 works perfectly?
  7. rarewolf

Portable DAC+Headphone Amp for terrace use

Any decoding and amplification of digital data delivered via USB can begin again as balanced analog… for example, smartphone-to-DAC/Amp dongle. Not all implementations of balanced will double the voltage relative to SE, but do check, it could help (… and help with draining your smartphone more...
  8. rarewolf

My point is, given your budget, the decision you’ve already made, and the choices provided… you may as well choose the device based on features and not sound quality… or, take a chance—you’re talking about the least expensive … Keep in mind that numbers are only numbers, and sensitivity and...
  9. rarewolf

There’s a difference between adequate power and driving your cans to their full potential. Given the power your wanting versus the inefficient cans you’ve got, to my own hearing, there are Bluetooth solutions that would better fit the bill… In the grand scheme, you’re not talking about very...
  10. rarewolf

You’re asking for a lot of power from a smartphone. You’ve rated all dongles for 32Ohm when the HD600 is 300Ohm, and the Sundaras are not power efficient, especially if powered from SE. You’re probably much better off referencing the sound quality from these cans and asking about something...
  11. rarewolf

Ahhh, yes I see that they’re open-backs — I was looking at the folding yoke thinking the Noires were the only DCs that folded like that. My IEMs are the S12s and IE600s, and my cans are the semi-open Fostex T60RP (Mod House) Argons
  12. rarewolf

I’m sure the DC Aeon Noire HPs aren’t hurting the experience… I have the Topping 70 stack, as well… but the Aeon 2 Noires remain on my short list… maybe next spring
  13. rarewolf

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Personality, no one’s yet put together a convincing argument as to why, and neither can I hear it when comparing it to streaming bitperfect PCM from my own library
  14. rarewolf

WiiM Mini Streamer

It was rebooting my WiiM that fixed extended gaps between tracks from my JRiver server…
  15. rarewolf

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

Why would I buy an Audi Cabriolet if I was never going to put the top down?
  16. rarewolf

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

I believe he may be talking about identical to the frequency response graph. I too was curious why the multi-tone measurement didn’t match the common FRG. I know a Fourier transform is thrown in their somewhere but, practically speaking, how are we to understand the Y-axis of a FRQ compared with...
  17. rarewolf

WiiM Mini Streamer

The Yamaha manual refers to it as an “accessory” power supply. I didn’t look further, but one question I’d have is if it provides continuous power and always live, or subject to the state of the amp. Neither am I sure the WiiM’s power management depends on its power being continuous, but they...
  18. rarewolf

From what I’m hear from peers is that it’s purely a subjective call, so you’ll never know… least wise, of little concern…
  19. rarewolf

Our opinion? On what? The difference in sound quality between the E70 & E70V, or that you ordered the E70 based on a guess?
  20. rarewolf

Your query is clear enough as long as you’re not including Bluetooth being alive. Mine turns off automatically, even if any of my devices are connected to the DAC’# Bt, which is sometimes the case when I quit listening to USB or SPDIF. Connecting to Bt when the E70 is in standby, however, will...
Top Bottom