Search results

1. D

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

What was that you were saying about strawmanning, @MattHooper?
  2. D

CD turntables how do they work?

Thanks, that's good to know. It would be cool if these came with a remote but makes sense that they don't, given their original use case. The LCD is the other drawback, can't see it while seated or anywhere other than looking straight down at it. Although some companies have made conversion kits...
  3. D

CD turntables how do they work?

Has anyone owned or used the Technics DZ1200 mentioned above? I…kind of want one…just for playback, to go with my 1200GR. Who knows, maybe my kid would have fun with the DJ features. Someone is selling a couple locally fairly cheap (compared to eBay prices anyways). But, it would have to be a...
  4. D

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver Review

I've played Yamaha drums for 20+ years. They are pretty much the standard for backline drums in pro performance spaces. It's crazy such a massive conglomerate can be good/great at pretty much everything it does, but that seems to be the case with Yamaha.
  5. D

I just happened across one of these in the wild, being used in exactly the manner I described above, stuffed in a back closet, in the network rack.
  6. D

The Truth About Vinyl Records

I’m all set with the games, thanks. Ehhhh….huh? You seem to interpret things quite differently than I do. You mean the self-described digital evangelist?
  7. D

No, I think you’re missing the point. The issue is not which format is, technically speaking, superior because everyone here knows that would be digital. If I’m wrong, then surely a vinyl evangelist will be along to tell me so, right? But they won’t. There are many valid reasons to enjoy vinyl...
  8. D

I think that’s pretty fair. I haven’t delved much into classical records, although I do have a handful I picked up mostly from thrift shops a while ago. They’re not all especially damaged or dirty - in fact a couple appeared they had barely been played - but even small artifacts can be pretty...
  9. D

HiFi Technology Flatlined Last Century

How is HiFi being defined in the context of this discussion? How do we know when something qualifies as HiFi or not? It seems to me it is difficult to debate the OP’s premise without some parameters.
  10. D

It’s hard not to picture this thread as a classic Seinfeld/Newman rivalry.
  11. D

I’ll play: 1. I would consider both Hi-Fi 2. I didn’t, but at least with headphones I’m confident I could tell the difference. Not sure if I could tell as reliably through speakers 3. Yes (through headphones at least) 4. No strong preference - the reverb is perhaps less “artificial” sounding on...
  12. D

I found the outrage over that comment really surprising, to the point that I had wonder for a moment if there was some sort of language barrier or reading comprehension issue. In essence, there's nothing revelatory in pointing out that digital is higher fidelity than vinyl...we know...we all...
  13. D

Another application for this type of receiver that I see quite a bit would be small mom and pop retail shops, dentist offices, etc. Many of them still haven’t moved to Sonos-type systems. Maybe they have a couple sets of speakers wired up already and it’s easier to just drop in another one of...
  14. D

I completely agree, clicks and pops suck. If I buy a new album at the store or a used album on Discogs with a high grade, and there’s more than a handful of clicks/pops, or worse, a scratch/scuff or non-fill causing a repeating tick, I just return it. Used bin records are a total crapshoot and...
  15. D

And many turntables from the 50's and onward started to be called hi-fi because they were much higher fidelity than earlier playback devices. A microgroove LP can sound miles better than the best AM radio or older 78s. I would argue, a clean, high-quality LP is much closer to digital than those...
  16. D

Is my HD TV no longer HD because 4K and 8K are now available?
  17. D

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

I guess my issue is that the PEQ changes I’ve tried don’t seem to be impacting my measurements. I’ll have to do some reading and try to figure out what I’m doing wrong. In any case, seems the Pro Plus is a worthwhile investment, especially for when it gets another PEQ upgrade down the line.
  18. D

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but I have a question on the parametric EQ. My current situation is that I have a pretty basic setup of WiiM Mini and turntable as my main sources, going into an integrated amp. I’d like to try my hand at basic room correction, but that’s...
  19. D

First measurements with HouseCurve app

Thanks! I suppose I can try the EQ in the WiiM app, but then that wouldn't really help my vinyl setup. If trying to resolve manually, do you think speaker/sub placement changes would help? Or is it one of those things where there are too many variables, just keep trying things and see what...
  20. D

First measurements with HouseCurve app

I hope this is OK to post and ask about here - I didn’t see another forum or thread for these types of questions. I’ve just started playing around with the HouseCurve app (iOS audio system tuning app). I’ve done some reading here and elsewhere but it’s always nice to get feedback from people...
Top Bottom