Search results

1. A

Just fired up my first ever Hifi set-up. It's OK?

For lack of better language, the "brightness" is almost more felt than heard. I figured that would be the most appropriate set up but it just doesn't work for the family dynamic and the play/dance space (3.5 and 5 y.o kiddos). The salesman from the distributor I bought the Chora's from swears...
  2. A

I checked the polarity of the wall recepticle as well as all three power cords (DAC, Preamp, Amp). The preamp (Toping Pre90) power cord is reversed polarity.
  3. A

Did you try other DACS before the SHD?
  4. A

Been listening to all kinds of stuff: Nina Simone, Mariah Carey, Daft Punk, Vivo movie soundtrack, Devendra Banhart, oldies soul, Bob Dylan, Hot Chip, and now some classical. I can tell when a recording is less high fidelity (older Bob Dylan) vs something like Daft Punk Random Access Memories or...
  5. A

Haven't played too much with speaker placement. I am not discounting speaker placement and room influence at all. I know it will make the whole situation better. I'm just going on first impressions here assuming there will be some refinement down the road. I will say taking the Pre90 out seems...
  6. A

The preamp supposedly had a max volume limit so that my kids wouldn't blow up the system. Also wanted a physical knob somewhere. I just took the preamp out and am giving a listen now. First impression is that there is a bit more of a crackle/static/white-noise in the backround. Will keep...
  7. A

Hi ASR, After nearly a year of reading and learning, I finally took delivery of all components of a new system and have music going: Raspberry Pi 400 running Volumio & streaming Tidal Connect Hifi> Schiit Bifrost 2/64 > Topping Pre90 > VTV Purifi 1ET400A w/ stock Hypex buffer > Focal Chora...
  8. A

Understanding a Speaker's Recommended Amp Spec.

Just want to say thanks again for the input and info from the people posting here. I ended up taking delivery of a VTV 1ET400A with stock Hypex buffer. I have the whole system rigged up now. Just posted about it in this older thread I started this past spring. Would be good to hear from some...
  9. A

First Hi-Fi System

Hey ASR, Just want to say thank you again for all the input and info on this thread. It's been a long time coming but I am finally sitting here listening to music on my very first HiFi system for the very first time. Raspberry Pi 400 running Volumio & streaming Tidal Connect Hifi> Schiit...
  10. A

I just saw that 50W clip limit in the review. Still sounds like it kept good distortion levels up to 50W even at 2 Ohm. I feel a bit stuck for purchasing options after learning the Buckeye lead times. Madisound has NC400 mono kits at $770 each, so $1540 which goes nose to nose with March...
  11. A

Thanks. I'll pass on the LA90. lol, thanks for the laugh. Nothing seems to be straightforward with HiFi WAF was a hard no on stand mounts. The LA90 was 50W at 8 ohms. I couldn't find any info for what it produces at 2.
  12. A

Thanks again for more good info. If an amp doesn't come with meters like in the video, is there a way to add a meter to an amp or possibly see it digitally (in something like miniDSP)? Just heard back from Buckeye on lead times. 9-10 weeks is testing my patience considering I just ordered the...
  13. A

Thanks for all the replies. I asked Focal if their recommended amp spec was 8 ohm RMS and the response was basically, "Go listen at a dealer, we can't tell you anything more specific." TBH I'm still not all that clear. I think this is my main takeaway here: But the above does contradict this...
  14. A

Hi ASR, I’m interested in getting a 2 channel amp for some Chora 826 speakers I’m planning to buy and I don’t quite understand the speaker's amp recommendations. The Chora is 8 Ohm nominal and 2.9 Ohm minimum with a amp recommendation of 40/250W. I am considering a Buckeye amp, but don't...
  15. A

First Hi-Fi System

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks. I was looking at the stepped attenuators from Goldpoint, they offer custom resistance values. If Hypex recommends a source impedance of 7k, would it make sense to choose a 10k Goldpoint attentuator? https://goldpt.com/r_series.html
  16. A

First Hi-Fi System

I started looking at passive preamps from Goldpoint and Marchand. Digging deeper, I'm uncovering all kinds of details about input and output impedance, buffer stages, amplifier gain, DAC voltage out, etc. Most of what I find online distills down to "passive preamps are great in a well designed...
  17. A

First Hi-Fi System

This is rad, thanks for the tip.
  18. A

First Hi-Fi System

Room is 12x20, with 8' open to a dining area on the long side. Couch is against the long wall with the opening. I eventually want to add stereo subs. That's also why I was eyeing the miniDSP flex. I don't know a whole lot about room correction, but from the little Iv'e learned it makes a big...
  19. A

First Hi-Fi System

The SHD power looks really slick, consolidating 4 boxes to one, plus you get the correction software at around the same price. Amir reviewed this and basically gave the amp a "meh". I'm thinking the Hypex amp will have more to offer. I had my eye on the DSP flex for $750 which would would...
  20. A

First Hi-Fi System

That's a good point. It makes sense since most optical outputs are to a receiver that controls the volume. I'll look into that.
Top Bottom