Search results

1. Mehdiem

Significance of Gain Adjustment (NAD C298+RME ADI)

Hello folks, I am using RME ADI-2 FS as a DAC/Preamp feeding my power amp NAD C298. My amp has a gain control from -20dB to 0dB. In my current setting, I kept the amp gain at 0 and my RME volume is around -40 to -50 db. Im wondering if it’s better to lower the gain in my amp and increase the...
  2. Mehdiem

LS50 S2 Stand Questions: (1) How to fill with Sand (2) Should I mount or not?

Hi. I recently purchased S2 stands for my LS50 Meta. I have two questions. Question 1 (A) I am planning to fill the stand column with dry sand. I’m wondering how much sand (i.e. weight in kilogram or lbs) would be ideal for each individual stand? I purchased 20lbs dry sand from Pet Smart. (B)...
  3. Mehdiem

Subwoofer Advice Needed - ~$1500-$2000

I’m wondering if upgrading my sub from KEF Q400 to one of the below candidates would have a noticeable impact? In that case which sub (and size) would you go for? - REL T7X - KEF KC62 - I considered SVS Micro 3000 and loved the app, but I don’t like how it looks. So unless it’s significantly...
  4. Mehdiem

Upgrading Sub from KEF-Q400 to REL T7X, does it make sense?

I’m wondering if upgrading my sub from KEF Q400 to one of the below candidates would have a noticeable impact on the purpose of music listening? In that case which sub (and size) would you go for? - REL T7X - KEF KC62 - I considered SVS Micro 3000 and loved the app, but I don’t like how it...
  5. Mehdiem

Tidal HiFi vs Spotify Premium? Can you hear the difference?

Hi guys. I am a Tidal user (HiFi only) and contemplating a move to Spotify. The reason is that I don’t like Tidal’s playlist management. It’s very annoying. I was wondering if you could hear the difference between Tidal (CD Quality) and Spotify premium which is 320. These two are my only...
  6. Mehdiem

C298 Auto Shut Off issue and more!

I got my C298 today. As much as I’m impressed with the sound, I have some issues with the on/off functions as follows: - unit automatically shuts off no matter what I do (despite the fact that I turn off the auto shut-off mode, as per described on the manual “press and hold for 15+ sec”. I get...
  7. Mehdiem

XLR cable for RME ADI?

I’m planning to connect my RME ADI (functioning as a DAC/Preamp) to PowerAmp NAD C298 through XLR. This is my first XLR experience and I have two questions? (1) there is a note in the RMe manual (regarding 3 pins) which I don’t understand its implications. Please see the note as attached, and...
  8. Mehdiem

KEF LS50 and Sub Optimization?

I have been experimenting with my LS50 and Sub KEF Q400 for several years, and still cannot find the optimal sweet spot for crossover and sub volume. The issue is that I find a good setting based on one song and album (let's say Diana Krall - Wonderful) but later when I listen to another album...
  9. Mehdiem

REW and RME: How to Generate EQ tailored for RME ADI-2 using REW?

I have performed my first measurement with UMIK-1 and REW. I need your help to understand how to generate & translate my EQ measurements into RME parameters. I could not find a way to generate EQ according to RME parameters and capabilities. I tried using Generic EQ with 7 filters but didn't...
  10. Mehdiem

Tidal HiFi vs HiFi Plus: Can you hear the difference?

I have been using Tidal HiFi Plus for a while now. I used to listen to MQA all the time, and lately decided not to as I read a few articles against MQA. My new DAC (RME) is not supporting MQA either. This made me think that I might need to downgrade my Tidal account to HiFi only. ($10 vs $20)...
  11. Mehdiem

IsoAcoustic Stand on top of 24" Floorstand to bring the speaker to ear level? Does it make sense?

I’m currently using floor B&W STAV24 S2 Stands for my KEF LS50. Based on my sitting position I need to increase the height and/or tilt the speaker to alighn the centre of speaker (and tweeter) to my ear level. I need about 20cm increase in height. I was wondering if you think it makes sense if I...
  12. Mehdiem

Best volume setting in a chain of a streamer, DAC, Amp?

Hi, I’m wondering what would be the ideal setting of gain/volume in the following chain? (1) Node Streamer (coax out to RME) (2) RME ADI-2 (RCA out to Yamaha) (3) Yamaha N-R602 Integrated Amp (to KEF LS50) Currently, my setting is a follows: (1) Node Steamer: volume fix at maximum (0db) (2)...
  13. Mehdiem

Optical or Coax, Cheap or Expensive?

Hi Folks. I’m currently connecting my Node Streamer to RME ADI-2 using an inexpensive optical cable bought from Amazon (FosPower). I'm wondering (1) whether optical sounds better or Coax? (2) upgrading my cable to a more expensive version (i.e AudioQuest cable) would result in improving the...
  14. Mehdiem

Help me find my next amp for my newly adapted "scientific mind-set"

Hi Folks. I’m planning to upgrade my amplifier with my newly adopted “scientific” perspective. Please first let me know if I understand this mindset correctly, and then help me choose an appropriate amp. What this “scientific mindset” means to me is that instead of going after amps with warm...
  15. Mehdiem

Can RME ADI be trigged ON when Optical Signal is sent?

Hi. I have connected my Streamer to RME through Optical. I was expecting the RME to be automatically turned on when the signal is sent through Optical but this doesn’t happen. And I have to turn it on any time that I want to use it. Is there any way to trigger on?
  16. Mehdiem

Headphone extension? Is a chain is as strong as its weakest link?

Hi folks. M b y RME ADI2 is on the way. I’m looking to purchase an extension 1/4 cable. My headphone would be HD800s with stock cables (already 9 ft). I found a few cheap cables on Amazon.ca and I was wondering if they would be ok, or should I look for specific measurements? So I have two...
  17. Mehdiem

Amp+DAC for HD800s? Are they really that differnet?

Hi Folks. I'm new to the headphone world. I have been enjoying my KEF-LS50 + Yamaha NR602 for a long time now and recently purchased an HD800s headphone. I’m currently using my HD800s with Dragonfly Colabt amp/DAC. I’m looking to buy a desktop amp. I will be connecting it to my streamer...
Top Bottom