Search results

1. DrZingo

VMV D2R Stereo DAC Review

Yes. Many of these Chinese products seem to like to mix fonts, like suddenly using Cooper Black for "PCM" here. It invariably makes the unit look less premium to me.
  2. DrZingo

Topping BC3 Review (Bluetooth Receiver) & BT CODECs

Standard Aptx does indeed play some serious games in the treble. If you simply play a sine sweep from 20 kHz downwards you can clearly hear all kinds of weird artifacts on Aptx that aren't there with SBC.
  3. DrZingo

Monoprice Blackbird Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Qobuz uses HD FLAC files as well. Personally, I didn't like Amazon as I kept getting recommended new releases for contemporary popular music, which I don't much listen to. There didn't seem to be any way to save one's genre preferences.
  4. DrZingo

Monoprice Blackbird Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

I do something similar but with an ordinary Chromecast and a Tendak HDMI extractor that costs 20 dollars into my Dac through Toslink. Unless you believe you need bitrates above 48 kHz, it works like a charm. I use Qobuz, but of course just about anything supports Chromecast.
  5. DrZingo

Soundkraft Enigma BT Speaker Review

“My mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it.”
  6. DrZingo

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

You are right, but as PeteL says, even if you filter away everything above 20 kHz you actually create new ghost or alias frequencies when sampling that audio that are reflected around the sampling frequency. That is, apart from a 10 kHz tone there will also be a 44.1-10=33.1 kHz tone in the...
  7. DrZingo

Yes, it does. I suppose it has to with what you define as normal listening conditions. The threshold of hearing a multiband stimulus (rustling leaves, a whisper) is usually regarded as 0 dB SPL around 1 kHz. For a pure sine wave it's higher (3 dB SPL) as fewer hair cells are stimulated. When...
  8. DrZingo

You are right. I didn't reply to your post, we both replied to a third one and I tried to make the same point as you did: complex waveforms are composed of sine waves at various multiples of the fundamental.
  9. DrZingo

I can't tell if you're joking, but any complex waveform with a fundamental at 20 kHz will have it's first overtone way up at 40 kHz. Any tone above 10 kHz will only ever be captured as a fundamental (sine wave) with 44.1 kHz recording.
  10. DrZingo

You are right, but the noise that is reflected down from the Nyquist frequency will still be above 20 kHz.
  11. DrZingo

Recoton RCA Cable Review (Ultra Cheap Cable)

Is there one single example of someone able to reliably tell two pieces of audio equipment apart in a blind test by listening, where audio measurements of the kind Amir does couldn't?
  12. DrZingo

thomann t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Review

The help file seems fairly user-friendly and might be a good place to start? https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help.html
  13. DrZingo

thomann t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Review

In the meantime, a user on the Thomann site has written this: The granularity of the sliders is unusable with a minimum of 4,688ms (at least for my purposes). 4.688ms corresponds to 1.61m at 344m/s speed of sound, much too much for a precise runtime alignment between woofer and tweeter. I then...
  14. DrZingo

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

I was simply referring to your comment that you're not much of an ASR member if you don't use Roon. To me, it would be a bit sad if someone new here believed this and left. That's all. I don't even think the majority of the members here use it, but I'm quite new here myself so I could be wrong...
  15. DrZingo

I have never used Roon and I have no interest in the product whatsoever. On the whole though, I don't find the discussions and reviews to be particularly Roon-centric at all, but then I don't read everything here.
  16. DrZingo

Yes, although I personally don't care about HiRes I appreciate being able to play 44.1kHz CD-quality files without conversion. I also constantly use the parametric eq plugin. The DSP in the player can also be applied when streaming over Chromecast, a neat feature. It takes a few seconds for...
  17. DrZingo

JVC HA-SZ1000 Review (Headphone)

What a rollercoaster of a frequency curve. Reminds me of my Sennheiser HD-630vb.
Top Bottom