Search results

1. S

Will active speakers end up as e-waste?

This is an issue of repairability more than anything specific to active or passive speakers. Repairability is higher when relatively more standard (or widely available) parts are used and the overall system is either well documented or easily discernible. In theory, everything behind the...
  2. S

ZeroSurge 2R15W Surge Protector Review

This reminds me of my primary rationale for going this route: my house has some old wiring which lacks equipment ground. GFCI breakers help with electrocution safety, but MOV based surge suppression needs a ground wire to shunt surge current to. The series protection doesn’t require a ground...
  3. S

The marketing claims seem to flirt with audiophool nonsense without actually crossing the line. Maybe they let customer testimonials do the dirty work. As far as ASR reviews go, it’s fine to say it’s “not broken” in terms of rated power or added noise, but without the ability to produce the...
  4. S

Of course they should offer filtering. From company marketing material (emphasis added by me): My purpose is filtering catastrophic surges. There are also claims that the device is capable filtering other less significant issues. Both for improvement of performance as well as a way to extend...
  5. S

I own three of these devices. I appreciate seeing that they don’t introduce any problems under normal circumstances, but also question the testing claiming they don’t improve anything. I realize it is beyond Amir’s scope to test something like lightning strikes, but to dismiss other “problem...
  6. S

SMSL D400EX DAC Review

Based on off-hand comments on other reviews, I’m assuming we’re outside the realm of repeatability with these three digits of precision on SINAD? Maybe it’s time to start bucketizing the SINAD rankings instead of tie-breaking based on measurement error.
  7. S

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Waking up to a new speaker review is a great way to start the weekend. Thanks!
  8. S

Pass Labs HPA-1 Headphone Amp Review

Does this preference originate from an era in which high levels of distortion were always found in “HiFi” gear, and the difference between “good” and “bad” was the quality of the distortion introduced? Anyone have a sense of where the legacy of “the legendary Nelson Pass” ends and the legacy of...
  9. S

My Kingdom For A Remote Volume Knob! can this be made?

In essence, yes, just a knob. But also many details to work out to reach OP's desired level of refinement. There's the industrial design of the package (materials, tactile feel like weighting, etc), some battery solution and power management (probably not a stretch for someone familiar with...
  10. S

Hard to know without having one, but it looks like there are some “surface dial for Linux” projects out there. If the dial presents as an HID to the OS, something like Node Red HID might work. Not sure I want to drop $100 on a Surface Dial to find out since Bluetooth range likely excludes it...
  11. S

It looks like I’m a bit late to this thread, but I see a lot of arduino / raspberry pi suggestions thrown around. What I didn’t see anyone mention is NodeRed. It is a Swiss Army knife of “I want to connect this to that” and I was able to use it to create a very nice integration between my...
  12. S

Why Do You Own Benchmark Products?

After receiving and reviving some hand-me-down vintage speakers, I was in need of an amplifier. I was down the rabbit hole of Internet fora and audiophool nonsense at the time, and feeling a bit hopeless to justify any purchase, let alone how to even know where on the scale of “good” (enough)...
  13. S

How loud do you normally have your music?

I’ve been measuring my listening lately and even if I’m starting at lower levels, I find that if I’m enjoying myself I quickly gravitate toward “loud” which turns out to be about 85 dB SPL average with 90 dB peaks (C weighted). I haven’t listened at freak-out loud levels since I started...
Top Bottom