Search results

1. D

Fallout on Amazon

My kids played the games but I never did. I really enjoyed it. Lots of plot twists. Very engaging.
  2. D

Celebrity RIP Thread

Missed this one... Obituary: Phil Nimmons, The Dean of Canadian Jazz https://ca.billboard.com/music/obituary-phil-nimmons-the-dean-of-canadian-jazz
  3. D

A Call For Humor!

Out of deep despair, madness is born.
  4. D

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

It is not a question of subjective listening being right or wrong but whether the results can be trusted. Since they are a product of both individual conscious and unconscious bias, logic dictates that these results cannot be trusted.
  5. D

There is no free will so unburden yourself of the heaviness of your decision.
  6. D

Could also be the room. It has a tremendous effect on the sound.
  7. D

GR Research B24 AC Cable Review: Does it Make an Audible Difference?

This one is always pertinent in such situations:
  8. D

A Call For Humor!

Ironic given how AI models are built.
  9. D

A Call For Humor!

Maybe he had a session with the psychic lady before hand. No visuals required.
  10. D

Is there an electrical risk to headphones to run them off a LINE OUT port, directly off something like a DAC, that isn't intended for direct playback?

Amir's review of the Grace shows that it is a well engineered DAC. The output limit is just over 2V which should be no issue for the SD800s. I don't think it is ideal to run off of the line out but nothing should break either.
  11. D

Cat News?

Our late Cookie was deaf in her old age. 7 months and I still miss her something awful.
  12. D

Is there an electrical risk to headphones to run them off a LINE OUT port, directly off something like a DAC, that isn't intended for direct playback?

Except for reduced output. Any output impedance that isn't an order of magnitude or less than the load isn't desirable. A good DAC should not be damaged by a shorted or low load output but the frequency response and volume levels may suffer.
  13. D

DACs are expecting at least 10000 ohms resistance on their outputs. Headphones are at best 600 ohms, the HD800S is 300 ohms. Thanks to Ohms Law, lower ohms means the DAC has to output higher current and most DAC output stages are just not equipped for that. Line level (the DAC output) is 2V peak...
  14. D

It varies by individual. Assuming noise is the major and most objectionable component, the vast majority of people will have inaudibility below 100-120db. Personally, it is 85db for me. While human hearing is variable, audibility doesn't follow a bell curve.
  15. D

My guess is at best 1 out of 10 want to learn more.
  16. D

That is not sufficient. You need to measure the voltage at the DAC outputs using a test tone.
  17. D

Celebrity RIP Thread

Prism drummer Rocket Norton dead at 73 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/prism-rocket-norton-gary-wanstall-obit-1.7166136 I remember seeing them live over 40 years ago. RIP you Spaceship Superstar.
  18. D

The objective of reproduction equipment is to amplify the recorded signal. Nothing more. This can easily be objectively measured well beyond the threshold of our hearing. Do you think there is something else in the recording other than the electrical signal that is not being reproduced?
  19. D

Celebrity RIP Thread

He certainly was a Neat Guy...
Top Bottom