Search results

1. F

Orei HDA-939 HDMI Audio Extractor Review

Received and tested. It doesn't output 192kHz when downmix is switched on. Orei Support confirms it downsamples to 48kHz over SPDIF/optical for better compatibility, when it is set to downmix to stereo. Therefore i'm returning it.
  2. F

Picked one up as well, too tempted to resist the 25% discount at Amazon.
  3. F

Could be less messy: With the HDA-912 set to 2CH, connect it directly to the Chromecast by HDMI. Optical out of the HDA-912 to a small 3-way optical splitter, to the Bluesound and the two Avantrees. Optical splitter ~$15 at Ali, brands: Prozor, Linkfor. Then sell the HDA-939 to me ;)
  4. F

Hi @amirm , You tested the Toslink digital output extracted from HDMI input and found that it is bit-exact and works perfectly up to 24 bit resolution. I assume you tested this without the downmix activated. If so, i'd be curious if the response is still that perfect with the downmix switched...
  5. F

I have the Audikast as well. It switches on and off with the TV using a USB controlled power strip. I can use my Avantree Aria Pro headphones immediately for watching TV with aptX Low Latency. No noticeable sound delay.
  6. F

Yes, the Powernode seems capable of absorbing all kinds of (Dolby) surround input signals and output those as decent stereo automatically, without bothering about downmix settings. Really good. It eliminates the need for prior downmixing by an additional device like the Orei HDA-939. @kevin1969...
  7. F

Any chance to compare the downmixing of the Orei HDA-939 and the Bluesound? If you say the Orei performs well in that respect, i'll be very tempted to have one sent to The Netherlands.
  8. F

Indeed, that would obsolete the downmixing. I can't do without it because i own a bunch of DVDs without stereo layer, just 5.1 which comes out of my HDMI audio extractor and which i want converted to stereo for my old but fine stereo amplifier. I can set the extractor to 2.0 but then my disk...
  9. F

Orei says about the digital downmix process: "It also can process (Sound Channel Superposition) LPCM (up to 7.1CH) audio, and then output the audio as stereo (LPCM 2.0) over HDMI OUTPUT 2(Audio only), digital (optical and coaxial) or RCA (analog) audio port." Intuitively, mixing two analog...
  10. F

Thanks in advance for the testing. Using the Orei DA34 to first convert 5.1 digital to 2.0 analog and then have the Avantree convert the analog back to digital for bluetooth transmission, should work, but probably not as well as feeding the Avantree with 2.0 optical.
  11. F

Looks like the simpler Orei HDA-912 would suit your needs as well: 4K HDMI (no ARC) to optical 5.1. Special feature of the HDA-939 at its price is the downmixing from 5.1 to 2.0 coaxial/optical SPDIF, but that is processed by your Bluesound Powernode. Can you hear any difference between...
  12. F

Monoprice Blackbird Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Sony UBP-X800M2 converts DSD64 to 176.4 kHz PCM (rather than 192 kHz). Has something to do with DSD64 using 64 times the CD sampling rate of 44.1 kHz = 2.8224 MHz = 16 x 176.4 (just an integer multiple of 176.4). I'm using the popular JTD18G-H5CH audio extractor (~40 $ or €) to extract 176.4...
  13. F

@Eric Geer thank you for elucidation. Assuming your patent concerns HDCP-compliant DoP, did you offer it up for sale to SACD player manufacturers? DoP over optical or coaxial SPDIF straight from the player would be an attractive sales point in this market.
  14. F

Converting a Blu-ray/SACD player into a digital DSD transport

You mentioned that you're using the IIS connection. Are you sure you have the extractor that mentions "DOP" in the product title? There are at least two lookalikes of this box, one of which does only IIS for DSD and the other, more expensive one that i referenced also does DoP over SPDIF...
  15. F

Converting a Blu-ray/SACD player into a digital DSD transport

a) No, x800M2 downsamples over coaxial to 48kHz or 44.1kHz. (Need to use HDMI2 audio only). b), c) This extractor seems to extract DSD over PCM (DoP), which i guess your Topping D90 can process: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353354399159
  16. F

@pvehling and @sunao , FWIW: For extracting DSD from SACD and sending that via SPDIF (optical or coaxial) to a DOP capable DAC, the ChiFi extractor box referenced below is reported to work alright. This HDMI extractor wraps up the DSD signal in DOP format (= DSD Over PCM), which is unwrapped to...
  17. F

Thanks for the info, phveling. Anyway, SACDs and HFPA discs have a hi-res stereo layer which will automatically be played with the Sony X800 settings I listed above and with the extractor EDID switch in 5CH (or 5.1 or Bitstream) position. DSD (2.8 MHz) from SACD is converted by the Sony to 176.4...
  18. F

>>> My question is do you use the 5ch output or 2ch output to get 192/24 output? <<< Set the switch on the HDMI audio extractor to 5CH and you'll get 192kHz, 24bit stereo from HiFi Pure Audio blu-ray discs. Tested with: HFPA disc: Supertramp, Crime of the Century Extractors: J-Tech Digital...
  19. F

Actually, even up to 192kHz, 24bit; see here.
Top Bottom