Search results

1. SuicideSquid

Non-Snake Oil Power/Line Conditioner?

Hi All, I've got two separate issues going on right now, in my office/home studio space and in my living room/home theatre space. The first, in my home theatre - I have a gaming PC hooked up to my surround system and TV, which I use regularly. When plugged in normally, there's a weird...
  2. SuicideSquid

Audyssey XT32 vs. Active Crossover?

Question for you folks about how best to optimize room-correction in my new space. My front three speakers - Totem Forests and a speaker I built myself based on the Totem Signature One with the same drivers as the Forest acting as centre channel - are running from a Denon X4700H receiver, out...
  3. SuicideSquid

Help Troubleshooting A Problem - Noise in Surround Channels w/GeForce HDMI

Hi guys, I'm pulling my hair out at a problem and hoping someone here can give me a suggestion. Here's the background: We've been renovating our family home for the past two years and haven't been living there - we've been in two apartments over that time, but last week we finally got to move...
  4. SuicideSquid

A Question About Cables (really...) - Tube Mics & 7-Pin XLRs

I'm currently working on a couple of microphone mod projects involving a 47-style large diaphragm tube mic, and a C12-style large diaphragm tube mic. For those not super familiar with microphone tech, tube microphones house the tube in the microphone body. The standard 3-pin XLR cable is...
  5. SuicideSquid

The Menu

My wife and I watched The Menu - the new-ish film with Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Fiennes, and Nicholas Hoult, directed by Mark Mylod, who is mostly a TV director on shows like Succession and Game of Thrones. It was weird, funny, and disturbing, and I highly recommend it to folks around these...
  6. SuicideSquid

Great Editorial from Sound on Sound

This editorial ran in the latest edition of Sound on Sound. SoS is a magazine more oriented to pro audio / recording and engineering of audio than to home users and listeners, but I think the underlying point of this piece is one well-taken...
  7. SuicideSquid

Recommendation for 4-5" driver for DIY Build

I'm starting a project to build a pair of bookshelf speakers for a friend. This friend is not a discerning audiophile. His primary speakers for the past 15 years have been a pair of Logitech computer speakers with 2" drivers and a "subwoofer" with a ~5" driver. A few years back I built him a...
  8. SuicideSquid

DIY Speaker Project - Duplicating a Totem Signature One - Active or Passive?

Hi Folks, I'd very much appreciate your feedback on the following project. My main system features a pair of Totem Forest speakers in cherry. I've had them for around fourteen years and I love them and have no intention of replacing them any time in the near future. I've been using them in...
  9. SuicideSquid

Absolutely Preposterous Denafrips DAC Reviews

Denafrips paid a fair bit of money to make this review show up in my news feed today: Denafrips Ares II, Pontus II, Venus II, and Terminator Plus - Hi-Fi Advice The review reads like it was auto-generated by AI full of audiophile buzzwords - it's nonsense from start to finish without a single...
  10. SuicideSquid

My new Prog / Post-rock album - featuring members of Big Big Train, Caligula's Horse, Wobbler, iamthemorning, and Neal Morse Band

Hi guys, I have a new album out today - 'A Voyage / A Destination' - it's a mix of symphonic progressive rock and more modern post-rock music. There are two prog epics - "Pool of the Naiads" featuring Eric Gillette of Neal Morse Band on lead vocals and guitar, with Lars Fredrik Frøislie of...
  11. SuicideSquid

Expanding Focusrite Clarett 4Pre with ADAT Mic Preamp - Recommendations?

Hi folks, My current recording setup is built around a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB interface with four additional DIY preamps - JL Audio Baby Animal preamps with J99v opamps. I find the focusrite Clarett preamps are very clean and transparent sounding, but lack a bit of warmth. The JL Audio...
  12. SuicideSquid

Recommendations for quality ear plugs?

So, I'm going on a bit of an adventure over the first week of May that will involve seeing around 20 rock, metal, and fusion bands over the course of five days. I would like to survive the experience with my hearing intact. I have a load of standard foam earplugs kicking around, and a set of...
  13. SuicideSquid

Bizarre HDMI problem with Denon/Marantz Receivers and Blu-Ray Players

[Edit] So I changed the HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV from the 'HDMI/ARC' input to HDMI2, and it works. So it is the TV, but god only knows why. If anyone has a suggestion for getting it to work on the ARC connection (since I kind of need that), it'd be much appreciated. Hi...
  14. SuicideSquid

Purifi Eval1 vs. Hypex NC252MP?

Hi folks, I see from searches that similar questions have been asked before, but not quite for my particular setup, so apologies for some redundancy. I pulled the trigger yesterday on a Denon AVR-X4700H which will be used as preamp/processor for front channels and amplifier for...
  15. SuicideSquid

Marantz AV7706, XLR Splitting, & Power Amps

Hi folks, Long-time reader, first time poster, with one objective question and some opinions to solicit. First the objective question: I'm currently biamping my speakers from my receiver using the main outs and assignable rear speaker outs. If I want to switch to a dedicated power amplifier...
Top Bottom