Search results

1. J

What is the point of CD rips?

I have about 400 CDs ripped to ALAC on my NAS, with a backup at home and another in the cloud, as well as all the original CDs in boxes in the basement. I remember ripping the entire collection over the course of a few months where I kept stacks of CDs next to my computer and would throw in a...
  2. J

Extreme Snake Oil

If you are short on cash and can only afford this cheap 80K model, you have to mail your cable back for recalibration. The really high end cables cost double that but they will send a guy to your house with a mobile calibration van to do it on the spot.
  3. J

Would you rebuy your current setup?

I would love to get my money back and re-buy my five Revel Concerta2 speakers. I paid full price and they're all on sale now!
  4. J

What does it take to succesfully transition to a green energy economy?

I just moved into a new subdivision of 40 high end homes in Massachusetts built in 2020-2022. Every single one built with propane heat when they could have had heat pumps for a relatively small incremental cost. It's going to take some more heavy handed regulation to drag the building industry...
  5. J

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

John Cage's 4'33". Live, it's a great piece, but as a recording, it leaves me cold. Whenever it comes on the radio I just change the channel.
  6. J

Food: didn't know Italians were so picky about their carbonara!

The big advantage of a country like Italy that has rules about its dishes is that when you order something in a restaurant, you know what you're going to get, because there is one and only one correct way to make it. If you order something in the US, it's a crap shoot. I really feel for the...
  7. J

Best Guitarists Evah!!!

Then you certainly have to mention Bert Jansch too. Trad folk seems dated these days but both John and Bert were true masters of fingerstyle acoustic guitar.
  8. J

The quintessential 80s pop song?

To me 80s pop means MTV. And you couldn't watch MTV for 30 minutes without this one coming on:
  9. J

Best Guitarists Evah!!!

Verlaine's solo begins about 4:45. Pure magic. And not a showoff performance at all, it's all about the music and the emotion. RIP Tom.
  10. J

Any of y'all ever tripped a breaker?

There was an absurd thread on AVS forum a while back where the OP was asking about what extension cord he should use so he could plug half his gear into an outlet in the next room, in order to avoid overloading the circuit in his main audio room. Some reasonable posters asked if he had actually...
  11. J

Listening to music in multichannel mode

I will admit I have a bootleg digital copy of the Avalon SACD because I'm too cheap to pay market rate for the out of print disc. It's not like Brian Ferry is getting any of that money anyway and I already own a copy of the stereo CD. That seems like a prime candidate for an Atmos remix for...
  12. J

How to remotely control my iPad for playing (Hi-Res) Lossless music

I don't believe AppleTV supports output at hi res. See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254346903. Though I'm not convinced the difference would be audible if it was supported.
  13. J

Upgrade the two-channel speakers or build an avr focused setup??

The dynamic volume feature found on many AVRs can do a lot for dialog that is just too quiet. And it works without a center channel. It simply raises the volume for quiet passages and reduces it for the loudest parts so you can hear the dialog without turning volume up to where the loud parts...
  14. J

2022 - Your favorite releases

Artist: Cecile McLorin Salvant Album: Ghost Song Listen in Atmos if you can.
  15. J

New Denon 3700/4700 DAC chip

I would not assume that what is being sold in the Amazon listing is any different from what Denon is selling for a lower price. The "2020" may just refer to the year this model was introduced, not the year the specific unit was manufactured. Outside of this forum and a few other places, very...
  16. J

Would it be bad to do in wall surrounds and exterior LCR speakers for a 5.1.4 setup? If not, what are some recommendations of speakers?

Keep in mind that in a 5.x.x arrangement the surround speakers are supposed to be placed at an angle so if they are in-wall you won't be able to point them towards your listening position and will be listening to them off-axis, so you'd want to verify the horizontal dispersion of the speakers...
  17. J

Ray Manzarek from The Doors discusses making music

He did some other cool stuff after the Doors.
  18. J

Listening to music in multichannel mode

I spent a good part of last weekend running through the entire Talking Heads catalog which was recently remixed for Atmos by Jerry Harrison. Sounded great on my 5.2.4 system.
  19. J

What is an equivalent product to HiFi snake oil?

Disagreements in aesthetic judgements are about what is good or not good in a work. What is physically there to be seen is not in question. The analogy to audio snake oil would be someone claiming that if you shine a $5000 magic light bulb on this painting (Rauschenberg, White Painting, 1951)...
Top Bottom