Search results

1. T

EquiTech 1.5RQ Balanced Power Review

Another "its for the studio not home" post - i co-owned a studio where we leased space in a commercial building, and we had all sorts of ground hum and noise issues we were dealing with, after the equitech was installed (& instructions followed) noise levels went down 6-9db across the board. we...
  2. T

Audible difference between Topping DX3 & DX7 Pros

sbmarr - what did you end up going with? I have the same dilemna right now, but nowdays the dx3pro is ~165 and dx7 is $375 (on massdrop - those prices might be off 'cause both drops are expired, but they come back every month or so). anyone else compare the two? I'm still rocking my ~15 year...
  3. T

Floor-standing under $3k?

Go to as many hifi dealers as you can and listen to all in your price range (+25%) and something will pop out at you. Ideally have them setup the amp you use as well (if they carry it), and listen to non-data-compressed music, ideally something in 24/96, and in all the genre's you listen to. I...
  4. T

Product Overview: Revel F35

I tested B&W 6, 7, and 8 series at Magnolia - the 6's meh, 7's were ok (not for the price), and I liked the 804-D3 but its $9k/pair(!). I tested Triangle Antal EZ (pretty even sounding, i liked them, but they lacked some excitement) , Dynaudio Excite X34 (eh kinda boxey), and PST Imagine T2...
  5. T

Product Overview: Revel F35

I'm glad you posted this Aprude51 - i'm looking and starting to audition ~$2.5k floorstanding speakers as well, and am looking at: Revel F36 Revel F206 (alot more then $2.5k) PSB Imagine T Focal Aria 926 (again more hten $2.5k) Monitor Audio silver 300 Paradigm 75f People really seem to love...
  6. T

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 Audio Interface Reviewed and Measured

RME is known for their rock-stable drivers, great converters, and always supporting older gear, but it is in a price point above the focusrite. Another brand to consider is Metric Halo, very good convertors which will last a long time. not cheap. Universal Audio as built in DSP (with...
  7. T

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 Audio Interface Reviewed and Measured

I have a earlier gen 18i8 that I use on a MacBook Pro and a iPad, and it has worked very well on both, i've never had any driver issues with them. I used it for a bit on a Windows 10 box and do remember having driver issues, but this was 4-5 years ago. I have a much older Pro40 which I also...
  8. T

Apple Lossless with wireless headphones

They will play fine, but bluetooth data compresses all audio so you won't end up taking advantage of the lossless file (basically turns it into a ~250k compressed AAC stream). see https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/ for some details.
  9. T

Genelec good enough?

I"m surprised the Focal pro line isn't talked about more here - they are very highly regarded in pro audio circles. I record/play in a studio that has the Solo6 (has the berylium tweeter), and I have the CMS65 in my home studio. The Trio11's seem pretty well suited... Not that Genelec or...
  10. T

<$1k integrated amp w/o digital.. suggestions?

Just to wrap this up - I ended up buying the Rega Brio R integrated amp - & a Topping D50 (which is on the way, I have a D30 from another system in there now). It def has enough power to push the NHT M5's and its phono pre seems a big jump from the ProJect $100 one i used before. I also...
  11. T

wow, that SMSL A8 looks amazing! phono, DAC (which a bunch of inputs), 125W/chan into 4 ohms (my speakers are 6 ohm so 100w/channel). not great reviews on amazon but.... any good (ASR quality) reviews out there on it?
  12. T

BillG - You make alot of sense! I guess i'm lumping in all integrated amps w/DAC's in with all the AVR out there. for #2 i think of how much better DACs are nowdays to 10/20/30 years ago, i guess the question is will that sound quality continue to get better over the next decade or so...
  13. T

I also like to separate the analog and digital parts of my system tho - if you get a good quality pre & phono pre it should last 10-20 years, but formats change and quality increases on DACs enough that you may need a new one in 5, which is why i liked the Rega Brio. Maybe the latest version -...
  14. T

thx all for the help - i really want to stay away from AVRs (esp after that NAD receiver review), and I still think that external DACs are better engineered then the ones in receivers/integrated amps - this obv isn't 100% true but my thought is that people who shop for a DAC/integrated amp are...
  15. T

all - my 13 year old NAD AV receiver thankfully died and that means time for some new gear. Looking at all the reviews of integrated amps with buiilt in digital it seems that the digital section is always compromised unless you shell out a good amount of change, so i'm looking for: - all...
  16. T

Topping D30 still the best ~$100 DAC?

to answer my own question its back on massdrop for $104, which is pretty good price i think...
  17. T

thx all, pretty convinced the D30 now (but the D50 just landed back on massdrop as well) is there a best place to buy it? ebay? are there such things as fake toping d30's out there (wouldn't surprise me).
  18. T

Affordable XLR DAC to amp cables?

Markertek teknek cables they build themselves from switchcraft & neutrik connectors and mogami or canare cable - all good. I've had good luck with Kirlin cables off of amazon - i've ordered a bunch (inlcuding xlr) and never had a bad one. not has high quality as the markertek ones tho. or buy...
  19. T

all - looking for a POD (plain old dac) around $100 and after spending a few days on this site (which i love for more scientific measurements and less comments like "I heard detail in the music I never heard before") seem to narrow it down to the Topping D30 and the new Schiit Modi 3. I need...
Top Bottom