Search results

1. svart-hvitt

NORMS AND STANDARDS FOR DISCOURSE ON ASR

I had this quote from Dr. Toole in mind: «As I discuss at several points in my book, audio professionals tend to prefer being in a dominant direct sound field. Whether this is fashion, habituated preference, hearing loss consequences, or something else we may never know. Consumers/audiophiles...
  2. svart-hvitt

You ask if there is anything of practical value in this thread. I have gone through themes of general, theoretical interest. But I will try and illustrate by a practical example too. Case studies are important! What have we learned about vox populi in audio? In Toole (2016), we have seen that...
  3. svart-hvitt

What if «most published research findings are false», as Ioannidis noted in another field of science. Agreed, it’s simpler to measure a dac than questioning if research findings may be false or correct. But that’s not science; it’s measurements.
  4. svart-hvitt

@Xulonn, your comment illustrates the intention and title of this thread “norms and standards for discourse on ASR”. You ridicule posts on science and its epistemological perspectives even if the name of this site is Audio SCIENCE Review. In other words, you criticize activity which deals with...
  5. svart-hvitt

THE FAT TONYS AND TONY LIPS OF AUDIO RESEARCH “So off went the Emperor in procession under his splendid canopy. Everyone in the streets and the windows said, "Oh, how fine are the Emperor's new clothes! Don't they fit him to perfection? And see his long train!" Nobody would confess that he...
  6. svart-hvitt

AN ENTICING MARKET STORY - OR WHY DID VOX POPULI RESEARCH PROGRAMS GAIN POPULARITY IN AUDIO TOO? “Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are...
  7. svart-hvitt

ON SEEKING TRUE PREFERENCES If a poll shows that a population has a preference for A over B, what do we know? In audio, it has been claimed that a population’s preference of A over B, also implies a preference of secondary order, like C over D, of E over F, and/or that there is indifference...
  8. svart-hvitt

BATTLE FOR EPISTEMOLOGICAL HEGEMONY The naïve observer of science is satisfied when the researcher says that “scientific methods have been applied”, or even “the scientific method has been applied” – as if scientific inquiry had one “gold standard” to guide us, in a world of an unrivalled...
  9. svart-hvitt

A BASKET OF ESSAYS ON AUDIO SCIENCE “All I want is to sit on my arse and fart and think of Dante” Samuel Beckett To present philosophical ideas on ASR will easily be regarded as a Don Quijotic effort. Still, audio is an extremely interesting place for people who are interested in group...
  10. svart-hvitt

Diversion by means of labelling others is quite common in (heated) debates, for example when a natural scientist, Richard Dawkins, puts a label from the science of psychology on those who believe in God («The God delusion», see also the debate with mathematics professor John Lennox for...
  11. svart-hvitt

The thread was just moderated for tone. One could have used say «stubborn» for a more neutral tone, I don’t think anyone would use «pig head» at Gearslutz, would they? On «pigs»: In my language, it’s been settled in court that you can call police «horse cock», which is a normal expression in...
  12. svart-hvitt

Oh boy. Isn’t it somewhat symptomatic for discourse on ASR that one can call a mastering engineer a pig head and nobody on ASR takes notice? Calling someone a pig for the job they’re doing is quite insulting, isn’t it? In some cultures, pigs are the worst of animals. Are we surprised that so...
  13. svart-hvitt

TRUTH OR PREFERENCES? I wonder, which research program do the two gentlemen belong to? The Preference seeking one or the Truth seeking one? Source: THE AUDIO CRITIC, number 18, 1992, page 39.
  14. svart-hvitt

The point I struggle to make apparent is that vox populi solutions promote one-size-fits-all based on the median preference in the population, which may not be what the unique individual needs. And because preferences in a population are drifting, so will the median based one-size-fits-all...
  15. svart-hvitt

I am colour blind. The appropriate term is «colour weakness» in my tongue, or «colour vision deficiency» in English. I am not offended when people call me colour blind (which is not the correct term) or wonder if I see black-white only. If I offended really deaf people or their friends and...
  16. svart-hvitt

You said: «I just think it's important to distinguish between listener preference on the one hand, and fidelity of reproduction on the other hand». If only one side effect of this thread were to make people aware of the distinction between SEEKING TRUTH and SEEKING (TRUE) PREFERENCES, I...
  17. svart-hvitt

Come on. In audio, we have the usage of «deaf» already, as in «tone deaf». @Floyd Toole has told us that some people are what one could call «speaker deaf». When I wrote «deaf» in my comment, I wrote that the participants were, «for practical reasons, deaf».
  18. svart-hvitt

The hobby/science of hifi vs the hobby/science of dogs

As you probably know, I am intrigued by research that takes the tools of one science for application in another. Sometimes a certain common sense is needed though, which economists didn’t display when they applied energetics to social phenomena. Such cross-breeding of research tools could...
  19. svart-hvitt

The hobby/science of hifi vs the hobby/science of dogs

https://pub.epsilon.slu.se/11612/ Comment?
  20. svart-hvitt

What came out of the discussion was that 1/3 of the population in Toole (1986) were, for practical purposes, deaf. At the beginning of Toole (1986), all (i.e. 3/3) were described thusly: «The listeners who participated in the subjective mea surements from which the present data are taken...
Top Bottom