Search results

1. DMill

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Been said already but John Lennon. Just think he had a lot left in the tank. My guess is we could’ve seen another Lennon/McCartney album. But I could be wrong. There are so many… and no wrong answer to this one.
  2. DMill

Why do humans like jazz?

I have an old friend who is a current Blue Note artist, has won a couple Grammys who certainly cares about his recordings. We spent a good amount of time together for a few years back in the 90s. He listened to music at home on vinyl on a vintage turntable and a couple old speakers that I can’t...
  3. DMill

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

Another one for me was Primus. I heard Claypools voice years ago and thought it was a joke against music. Now all I hear is one of the greatest bass guitarists of all time.
  4. DMill

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

For me it was probably Talking Heads. I’m 56 and when I first saw them I was into Van Halen and Journey And the Beatles. Then this weird dude came out in an oversized white suit and sang about Psycho Killers and tangled lyrics like Crosseyed and Painless and Artists Only. Then around 3rd year of...
  5. DMill

Working too hard can give you a Heart Attack Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack... My Heart Attack Story.

What a truly thoughtful post. Thank you for sharing an experience that has more merit than any we talk about on this site. Heart disease has touched my family. My wife’s children (10 and 13 years old) lost their father Thanksgiving Day this year. He was 50. It’s no joke. And best wishes to you...
  6. DMill

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

I watched her Eras tour on HBO last night. The choreography and stage production is beyond anything I’ve ever seen live. The music played through my 2.1 system sounded very good. As far as Taylor goes, Im trying to keep an open mind. She doesn’t really speak to me, but I’m really not her...
  7. DMill

If more speakers don't help, why do cars have so many speakers?

Most come in “packages” now. The Jeep wagoneer with a McIntosh sound system comes to mind. Something about spending close to $100k on a Jeep bothers me though.
  8. DMill

guys home theatre visually vibrates ?

My girlfriend is strangely interested in this thread. Hmmm
  9. DMill

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Maybe he was the engineer on the Modi? :) But I highly doubt it. The folks at Schitt have always been really great to work with and the Modi is a fine little DAC by my impressions. I’m sure a properly functioning Topping is also wonderful.
  10. DMill

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

I still think something is defective in the Topping you have or in how it is set up. One could certainly make arguments about its ergonomics or parts or whatever…. But it should measure flat. You should not be hearing variations in FR like you are describing.
  11. DMill

its good advice, but there should not be a big shift in sound unless something is not hooked up correctly or the Topping unit is defective. Personally, I would not have made this “upgrade”. But based on specs I suppose the Topping might be better and maybe audibly better?
  12. DMill

The only way to know is to test the unit. It certainly could be defective. If you are hearing a jarring difference between that and the Modi something is likely wrong with the Topping. Or Modi. I have a Modi and it may not be SOTA, but it does the job and is transparent.
  13. DMill

After the hype of Chinese HiFi brands, what is the jury?

They offer a lot for a little. But do not innovate or offer much beyond optimized an existing design. But maybe I’m too old and have preconceptions? I’ll think on that.
  14. DMill

Where can I download good quality music for free?

I’d encourage OP to please pay musicians for their contributions.
  15. DMill

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

If it hasn’t already been said, I also feel bad for current Tekton speaker owners. Resale values ultimately will suffer and they aren’t cheap. The truth is, i would subjectively say they didn’t even measure that horribly. Just below where they should at that price. This whole thing just seems so...
  16. DMill

Break from Tekton Thread

It reminds me of Xena. God I miss that campy Sam Raimi humor. She has a pretty good arm btw. Upper decks with a tshirt Im impressed.
  17. DMill

Break from Tekton Thread

The few times I’ve travelled to The UK The food has been quite good. I hate these stereotypes about the British. The dentistry was awful though. :)
  18. DMill

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

At page 69, I will say they have an email, if it has not already been said. You certainly can let them know your thoughts.
  19. DMill

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Nice. To me, Jones comes off as a good guy and is a solid ambassador for hi fi. Of course, there are a lot of great speaker designs to choose from, including active. But I do applaud him for leveraging any celebrity status he may have and push MoFi into a place where they are in mix for...
  20. DMill

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Speaker design/aesthethics is very subjective. I suppose if we look at them as furniture we can make a call? They are retro cool in a way. IMHO. But I get you. If they measure good is my concern.
Top Bottom