Search results

1. JeremyFife

What sort of system do Football stadiums use? (Surprisingly good)

Hi, I went to a football match (I'm in the UK: soccer) for the first time in an age. Mid sized club, 8,000 capacity stand essentially outdoors. I was surprised by how decent the sound system was (yes, I'm not a natural football fan). In a stand approx 110m long, 6 monitors (so, 18m apart at...
  2. JeremyFife

Bandcamp offer 24 bit download - any idea why?

Hi, I wonder if anyone here can offer some insight I noticed that Bandcamp (music streaming, selling and download site with a good track record of paying artists a decent amount) was offering music by Adrienne Lenker in 'regular' 16/44.1 and also in a more expensive 24-bit format. I've no...
  3. JeremyFife

Study indicates that frequencies above 20kHz affect our perception of sound

Hi, came across this which sounds interesting and I'm hoping that people here can comment. The study indicates that frequencies above the audible range might still affect us. I'm not qualified to tell if the study is a good one, or if the results mean anything for music, but it seems serious...
  4. JeremyFife

Entry point for Load Independent amplifiers

Hi all, There have been a number of recent reviews and discussions of budget, entry level, amplifiers (Fossi, WiiM, various DIY options etc). The discussions very quickly stagnate in whether these are Frequency independent (over 20Hz - 20kHz, or wider), Load Independent or otherwise have...
  5. JeremyFife

BBC Auction from the archives

The BBC is having a clear out; All sorts of weird stuff (ashtrays, radios, a sword!), vinyl (for those who like that) and old studio equipment. Curios and just interesting browsing - I'm posting here mainly so I don't get tempted: hoping for a dose of healthy cynicism from members :)...
  6. JeremyFife

Happy Christmas/ Holiday and New Year to all

Best wishes and thoughts to everyone and your families. And, as a Scot, all the very best for the New Year Love, peace and music
  7. JeremyFife

Adding speakers to a TV - using TV volume

Hi, I hope you can help explain some real basics for me, I can't seem to get a clear answer. We have a 55" Panasonic TV (HMDI out, eARC and also Optical as well as RCA). We used to have a basic soundbar (eARC) and that worked fine - sounded bad, but worked well. We've moved the TV now and have...
  8. JeremyFife

AI Mastering - inevitable or incidental

Came across this article on a brief comparison of 4 "AI" mastering services. https://www.musicradar.com/news/online-e-mastering-services Is this the way that mastering will go? I'm hoping that mastering will remain part of the creative process, with a creative person at the helm. Perhaps this...
  9. JeremyFife

Any experience or thoughts on Teac AP 505 (Hypex)

Hi, Does anyone have experience, or opinion on this Teac power amp? Looks interesting (low power for the money, but looks nice) https://teac.jp/int/product/ap-505/top
  10. JeremyFife

Do Hypex Ncore amplifiers overheat?

Hi, I have read a few posts here - mostly @restorer-john - asserting that, by design, Hypex Ncore boards overheat AT IDLE (not even in high volume use) i.e. that the design is flawed and these amps are likely to fail. Solutions seem to be; vintage or more traditional AB amps (expensive, or...
  11. JeremyFife

Blimey, I may agree with Darko

Read this and found myself agreeing: short version... Mastering matters more than format https://darko.audio/2023/08/when-hi-res-audio-stops-making-sense/ Am I ok? Also, I've seen this before where the audio from blue-ray disks and other surround sound formats is thought to be good. What's...
  12. JeremyFife

Design flaw or implementation issue - sealed op amp units

Hi, Please avoid 'Topping bashing' or any similar venting... There are a few threads on op amps overheating because they are housed in sealed units @JohnYang1997 has confirmed this as a design problem with the Topping PA5 Got me wondering: is this approach a design flaw in general, or is it a...
  13. JeremyFife

DACs that are Good Enough and problem free

Hi All, In amplifiers, integrated and power amps, there is a consensus here that many amplifiers are "good enough" but are also worth considering because they are reliable or robustly built. These are often recommended, by experienced members here, as being sensible choices. Something like the...
  14. JeremyFife

Thoughts on passsive preamplifier for balanced systems

Hi, I'm planning a small office nearfield system: laptop => dac => active speaker. If funds allow then the speakers will be Genelec 8020 (used, probably 8020a unless that's too old?) and they will take balanced inputs so I'll look for a dac with balanced outputs. I'm in the UK. Having recently...
  15. JeremyFife

Recommendation for a turntable phono cable

Hi, I'm hoping that you can help with a recommendation. My analogue setup starts with a Pro-Ject Debut turntable (Ortofon OM20 MM cart) into an iFi Zen Phono amp, basic but pleasing. I have started to hear obvious noise in one channel (left). Best way I can describe it is that is sounds like...
  16. JeremyFife

Newbie question: what is a digital filter

Hi All, I've been reading reviews and articles here and learning loads (and being entertained). I realise that in reviews of DACs there is a graph and discussion of filters ... and I also realise that I don't really understand what these are and why I might want to select one rather than...
  17. JeremyFife

New to creating PEQ for headphones (AKG K72)

Hi, I have a pair of these AKG K72 in the house and wanted to understand how to EQ them. They're cheap but I quite like them and seems like they'd be good to learn on. I can see measurements e.g AKG K72 I have a miniDSP Flex ... seems like I could add 3-4 simple filters to even out the big...
  18. JeremyFife

Windows 10 as DNLP streaming service - all albums are Unknown

Hi Windows gurus, This is an embarrassingly newbie question. My NAS is in storage and I just want to stream some music to my WiiM Streamer from my Windows 10 Laptop over Wi-Fi. The Windows media streaming service is running. My streamer can see it. Two albums that I bought from Quobuz show...
  19. JeremyFife

Reset: it's the music that we love

I'm enjoying ASR, I'm learning loads, I'm informed and I'm entertained. I've remodelled my hi-fi for the (much) better because of this place and you people. Sometimes the discussions get a bit intense ... I was driving this morning and a song came on the radio that just blew me away - took me...
  20. JeremyFife

Recommendations for a Bluetooth speaker

Hi All, Any recommendations for a portable, preferably rugged, Bluetooth speaker - mid price (under £200 GBP). It's for a gift to a teenager. She won't really care but I'd like her to get reasonable sound in her student room. Plenty of recommendations on What-HiFi etc ... but I'm now wary of...
Top Bottom