Search results

1. phoenixdogfan

Need help expanding my 2.1 system into 2.2

As an alternative to a miniDSP unit, you might want to consider a sub which offers both High and Low pass filters. With such a sub, you just send a line level signal from your DAC and/or preamp to the sub, the sub low passes the signal to its own amp, and provides line level out to the amp for...
  2. phoenixdogfan

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Jeff Buckley, Bob Marley, Christine McVie, Glen Frey, David Crosby, Eva Cassidy, John Lennon, George Harrison, Leonard Cohen, and Chris Squire.
  3. phoenixdogfan

Working too hard can give you a Heart Attack Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack... My Heart Attack Story.

Glad to see you came through this. As someone who has had his own heart issues, I'd urge you to not overlook two things. Apparently you do have weight under control which is great, so you have a big head start there. The other things I would urge are to make sure you're getting enough quality...
  4. phoenixdogfan

Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Headphone Review

Biggest issue is going to be the bass which I think will be hard to EQ to Harman without running into issues with distortion, but, then again, it's kind of at the low end of the Sennheiser line, so you're getting what you paid for. I personally think full Harman compliance in terms of pinnae...
  5. phoenixdogfan

Celebrity RIP Thread

One of the leading researchers into consciousness. Saw a recent interview he did, he looked really bad, had sores on his head. Have to wonder if it was a result of some sort of chemotherapy or injuries he sustained, but, in any case, he looked like he had been through a war. RIP.
  6. phoenixdogfan

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

Amir, perhaps you should issue a public pledge never to review another Tekton speaker again, and in return everyone here could in turn sign a pledge agreeing to never to buy a Tekton speaker ever, assuming we were even considering it before this.
  7. phoenixdogfan

Which flagship headphone has fantastic soundstage/imaging und bass?

You can get a tactile bass transducer to help you with that. I use a Subpac S2 to recreate the tactile feel of a sub in the room. Takes some tweaking, but I find it helps a great deal, especially when used with the Realiser.
  8. phoenixdogfan

Which flagship headphone has fantastic soundstage/imaging und bass?

Really interesting. Is there a version of the app that works on an Android phone?
  9. phoenixdogfan

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

The only disappointing thing here is the PEQ is only supported for USB input. There are a number of sources such as the coax digital output of many TV sets that would benefit from being run through EQ, and Topping missed an opportunity to offer a complete package by foregoing support for that...
  10. phoenixdogfan

Paid reviewers

Are we including guys who post affiliate links as paid reviewers? To me that seems a little much. If a guy has affiliate links for Amazon, Crutchfield, Parts Express, and Monoprice are we to assume he can't impartially review a pair of KEF or Revel loudspeakers? To me, something like that...
  11. phoenixdogfan

Buchardt Audio SUB10

To me, seems like a lot to pay considering I paid around $1100 for my two OG SB 2000's which are not a lot bigger and also do 20 hz at 95 db.
  12. phoenixdogfan

What are the three most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?

The most expensive for me were the Aerial Acoustic 10t speakers which were around $5500 in 1995, the Cardas Heart Ruby phono cartridge also purchased in 1995 which was $3000, and the Smyth A16 Realizer which was purchased in 2019 for $4000. Also have to consider that in 1977 I bought a...
  13. phoenixdogfan

(Unofficial) Topping D50 III DAC review and measurements

Just amazing, isn't it? It's a DAC, full function pre-amp, has 10 band peq, balanced outputs, remote. All for $229 on Amazon! Somebody at Topping must be listening because adding PEQ to Dacs has been discussed here more than once. We talked about how it should not greatly add to the unit's...
  14. phoenixdogfan

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

This one is kind of like the neglected middle child of the Revel line, but as the measurements make clear, it's a really good speaker. Should excel in a smaller room with a couple of subs, and, used in that way, won't be nearly as dynamically limited as a lot of two way bookshelves. Thank you...
  15. phoenixdogfan

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Yes, but I feel the LS 50 Metas, even with the dual subs, the Dirac DLBC and the ubacch, are still below the Dutch & Dutch 8C]s, Kii's, Kef Blades, Magicos, and even March Sointuvas and Neumann's, and Genelec One's. So the next step is figuring out how to upgrade to one of those endgame speakers.
  16. phoenixdogfan

Does my ideal DAC exist?

A miniDSP Flex for 2+2, or a Flex 8 for 8X 8 with full DSP (Dirac), PEQ, routing matrix with input and output gain adjustment, limiter, digital high/low pass crossovers with selectable slopes, and a DAC with > 112 db Sinad which will be utterly transparent. And a master volume control. Does...
  17. phoenixdogfan

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

USB Audio Player Pro not only has peak, it has shelf filters, and a whole host of others. It's a full featured PEQ.
  18. phoenixdogfan

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

Reviewers out there are going "gaga" over the default DSP setting for these. How about an EQ which matches a pair of Truthear Crinacle Reds to that? Or 7gz Salnotes Crinacle 2's?
  19. phoenixdogfan

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

You can do the same thing on your Android phone and USB Audio Player Pro with the added professional tools by Tone Boosters which cost around $10. Includes 10 band PEQ, balance, and Morphit which enable one IEM to emulate another (based on what's in the database). Given how possible it is to...
Top Bottom