Search results

1. AnalogSteph

Some measurements of IDT 92HD93 headset out in Dell Latitude E6330

I've been meaning to do this forever now. While the combo of Focusrite Forte and RMAA (both a bit flaky) was subjectively causing grey hair to sprout at an alarming rate at first, things ultimately went reasonably smoothly. Signal chain: Battery-powered Latitude E6330 (w/ Win10 22H2, Win 7/8.1...
  2. AnalogSteph

More Steinberg UR12 Black measurements

(Initial observations start in this thread, with more on input noise here.) RCA L --> XLR mic in (nominal Zin = 4k, Zout = 600R). -12dBFS at max output + min input gain becomes -3.49 dBFS in. The difference between min and max gain settings is 43 dB. (Spec: Gain 10-54 dB, so we're only 1 dB off...
  3. AnalogSteph

I always assumed that EIN didn't matter for condenser microphones...

...as long as it wasn't truly and utterly terrible, of course. Well, so much for that. I stumbled across this quite by accident while struggling with the perils of inexpensive audio interfaces...
  4. AnalogSteph

Poking around inside a Swissonic UA-2x2

Can a 2x2, 24/96 capable (UAC1) audio interface for a mere 65€ from Thomann's house brand be any good? Well, I just happened to need something to take care of an XLR condenser mic so I could finally liberate the Audient EVO 4 from my office PC and use it for portable measurements again, and I...
  5. AnalogSteph

An interview with Charles Sprinkle about studio monitors

Just stumbled across this and thought it would be met with interest here... hope it's not been posted before. Yes, the Charles Sprinkle of Kali Audio / ex JBL fame.
  6. AnalogSteph

I broke YouTube...

Well, kind of. Turns out your side bar subscribed channel list can fit at most 992 entries - I have already lost letters X-Z (plus Wristwatch Revival, bummer) and non-alphanumerics. If you have more, you need to go to your subscriptions page, "Manage", and wade through the list that is being...
  7. AnalogSteph

Recommend a small inexpensive (dongle) USB DAC-amp or just DAC

Right now my Bed-Fi® setup consists of: Dell Latitude E6330 w/ Windows 10 and Foobar2000 --> JDS Labs Atom Amp+ --> HD600 Which is basically adequate but there's something screwy going on with the highs in the IDT onboard audio unless I upsample which takes some CPU time even with the...
  8. AnalogSteph

World's longest-serving audio DAC and ADC chips

I thought I'd do some poking around regarding what the oldest converter chips are that are still very much active today (if not necessarily in the same iteration and the same process). Here's what I found: DACs: AD1856 (1988ish) - the uses for a classic 16-bit R-2R multibit DAC may be limited...
  9. AnalogSteph

Windows tip: Exclude audio files from realtime virus scanning

HOW: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security-811816c0-4dfd-af4a-47e4-c301afe13b26 If there is one thing that was slightly annoying me about Windows 10, it's that Windows Defender has got its grubby paws in everything. I've had to disable realtime virus...
  10. AnalogSteph

Cambridge Soundworks PC Works, old 2.1 system, measurements and EQ

This PC sound system was sold from 1999 onwards, price in Germany was 199 DM, discounted to 149 DM a year later. You got a small vented sub with a 5" class driver and two closed cubical 2.5" satellites, all clad in beige plastic. About a year back, this one was snagged for the princely sum of...
  11. AnalogSteph

EVE SC203 desktop monitor speakers, first impressions

I made a plan to give my trusty office speakers JBL 104 away to an individual in dire need of some actually working ones, so I needed something to replace them with. After considering various options of varying overkill factor, I eventually settled on these cuties, an active stereo speaker pair...
  12. AnalogSteph

"Broken" be quiet! PSU fan may be an easy fix (sort of)

Story time: My office PC had been graced by a Fortron FSP350-60APN power supply since 2012, which started to develop a noisy fan a while back that I was unable to fix entirely, presumably because I had not removed the little retaining washer / clip when trying to oil the fan bearing (see Mr...
  13. AnalogSteph

Can't get Asus Xonar SE detected on new hardware (e.g. Z590 / other Intel 5xx)? Try this.

My shiny new Asus TUF Gaming Z590-Plus WIFI (now that's a mouthful) mamaboard would not detect a Xonar SE soundcard by the very same manufacturer (oops). On top of that, the Intel I225-V onboard LAN would disappear when the card was inserted. :facepalm: At the same time, the card was proven to...
  14. AnalogSteph

The FiiO M3K - probably as much DAP as you really need

It seems to me that this little player could use a dedicated thread here. @Robin L seems to be one of the few dedicated fans. With my fleet of Rockboxed Sandisk Sansa Clip+ starting to show their age, I was looking for a replacement, preferably an improved one. Aside from input being partially...
  15. AnalogSteph

Can you compare hearing sensitivity and mic self-noise like this?

Apples to oranges or pear-to-pear networking, that is the question. https://www.lewitt-audio.com/microphones/lct-recording/lct-540s So that on top is the bog-standard hearing threshold curve for sinusoidal stimuli, I assume. Now what would have happened if they chose another analysis...
  16. AnalogSteph

A brief history of DAC and ADC chips...

This started out innocuously enough in a post around these parts, now it has become a fairly comprehensive overview of high-end and midrange converter chips with some performance figures from the '90s into the present day, and even a few links to papers and the like are included along with some...
  17. AnalogSteph

Caching policy

I have one minor gripe with this site that I believe comes down to caching policy. So imagine the following: You have a thread open here, go on to post something in it, then close the browser (Firefox/Win in this case). Upon reopening and restoring the tab contents at some later point...
  18. AnalogSteph

Researching state of the art audio ADC performance

I've been digging through ADCs old and new lately, which had me wondering: What's the real SOTA in audio ADCs? Nowadays, if you want to buy a fancy ADC, you might choose e.g. an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition (quite the mouthful), which sports these ADC specs: Which is absolutely...
  19. AnalogSteph

Noisy microphone cable with phantom power enabled?

Hopefully someone with more experience in the recording world can clue me in here. A while ago I purchased a mic kit from Thomann including two 10 m pro snake TPM 10 XLR microphone cables. Quite by accident, I noticed that both of these are noisy if you plug them into a microphone input with...
  20. AnalogSteph

Permissible attachment file types

I wanted to attach a FLAC file earlier - nope, not allowed. Right now it'll only accept what I assume is the default set - ZIP, TXT, PDF, JPEGs various, GIF, PNG. I'd suggest adding FLAC, MP3, MP4A and OGG to this list, perhaps OPUS as well.
Top Bottom