Search results

1. AnalogSteph

I need more electrical outlets

Should work fine as long as you stay within the outlet's load limits (consult manual if in doubt). The power strip would make a good place for a bunch of low-power devices.
  2. AnalogSteph

Audient iD24 Headphone Output

According to our @solderdude, https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/shure/srh-840a/ these don't seem to be particularly impedance-critical, and they're of decent sensitivity. Should work fine.
  3. AnalogSteph

Audient iD24 Headphone Output

That's not a question that makes much sense to ask like that. I would have few qualms using it with a 16 ohm dynamic driver IEM with near-flat impedance response and typical sensitivity (say 120 dB / V), given that it seems to have no problems driving 32 ohms to rather decent levels. An...
  4. AnalogSteph

Advice needed: Upgrading my home office audio setup

Not just one, but multiple. You could dump just the Valhalla for a Midgard and some XLR cables. Probably just about cost-neutral depending on used prices. Would that be compact enough? If you're cheap, you could plug a Topping L30 II into your onboard output and get by just fine like that, too...
  5. AnalogSteph

Speakers without hissing for PC

This is not going to be easy. If there had been any such no-brainer option in this price range, that would be sitting in my office right now. Well, I mean there's the Edifier MR4, but its seems you never quite know which set of measurements yours are going to conform to (so you might as well be...
  6. AnalogSteph

Where does quantization noise come from.

That'll be easier to tell with some signals (e.g. a sine wave) than with others. If in doubt, an input/output comparison is going to be required. The DAC is oblivious to all this. It just interpolates between the sample values it's given with its anti-imaging filter. If quantization noise...
  7. AnalogSteph

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Yes, for a sine signal. The detection threshold for narrowband signals like that is always going to be lower due to what is effectively FFT gain (though the bin spacing for human hearing is a bit wonky). Doesn't mean you need a wideband noise level quite that low - after all you can still spot...
  8. AnalogSteph

Motu M4 - Tear down, bit of internals analysis and few in-house measurements

From the horse's mouth: So what makes a 6263 a 6263 is precisely its 3 dB step size, you don't get to choose anything else.
  9. AnalogSteph

FLUX Mentor - teardown, inside pictures and a few measurements

I'd think that's responsible for the power amp input stage. Looks to be a dual opamp, and I'm pretty sure I've seen that face before... if I had to place my bets I'd say that's an RC4580I. Used as poor man's fully differential opamp, I guess? (Would explain why what little distortion is there...
  10. AnalogSteph

Final REW measurements, opinions?

Looking at the last picture: Holy mother of floor reflections. Somebody could really do with a nice thick carpet between the table and the TV cabinet. The bare tiled floor is certainly a major contributor to the high reverb times, I know that from my parents. The general lack of carpets and...
  11. AnalogSteph

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Headphones are actually a fair bit less critical than speakers... uncorrelated white noise disappears somewhere around or a tad under +20 dB SPL, getting lost among our ears' internal racket (blood flow and such; it's even worse for in-ears). The threshold for speaker playback is lower only...
  12. AnalogSteph

Klipsch Headphone Amplifier drivers unsigned, could someone help me out as a not much of a fiddler with software?

You shouldn't have to be doing this as an end-user, but as it is you're stuck without either a chicken or an egg between a rock and hard place now. You can try starting with driver signature enforcement disabled, install the driver and see whether it persists...
  13. AnalogSteph

ESS IMD hump with AKM DAC? (specifically AK4499EXEQ in Topping E70 Velvet)

There has been some speculation indicating that this AKM "ESS hump" may not manifest in the same way (i.e. increased distortion) but rather consist of an elevated noise floor instead... still not ideal but less troublesome. Are there any indications that this may be the case? The spray of...
  14. AnalogSteph

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

Going by the measurements, you'd want to cross these as high as 150 or even 200 Hz, right where their midbass bump is, so crossing over to a sub properly could be bit tricky (not to mention the issue of placing that - the Kali IN-UNF system has a sub designed to go on the desk for a reason). The...
  15. AnalogSteph

Advice needed: Upgrading my home office audio setup

The Valhalla 2 appears to combine being an IEC Class I device with RCA inputs only, which (pardon the pun) is a bit schiit. The start-up pop I would assume to be the DAC's fault. I would run the Toslink directly into the Edifiers instead (whatever they have built-in is unlikely to be a...
  16. AnalogSteph

Looking for a new Audio Interface

iD4 MkII and SSL 2(+) would be good candidates for an SM7B, they've got very low EIN. Both have more gain to offer than the EVO 4, the SSL in particular would essentially make the Fethead redundant. The M2 has a healthy amount of gain with good EIN but apparently suffers from increased input...
  17. AnalogSteph

What are we listening to right now..

I was just reminded of this album... used to play it a fair bit a few years back. (874 scrobbles... yep, seems about right.) A bunch of what I now consider classic songs on there... It's obviously much more indie than her hit and a half from back in the day. Sort of like Eisley's...
  18. AnalogSteph

Some strange clipping with Samsung dongle

If it takes such a special test signal for this issue to appear, I would suspect it is related to something like analog rail switching (i.e. a Class G or even Class H output stage). This may be too slow to follow the signal accurately. Makes you wonder how it would do on (original mastering)...
  19. AnalogSteph

Some measurements of IDT 92HD93 headset out in Dell Latitude E6330

I've been meaning to do this forever now. While the combo of Focusrite Forte and RMAA (both a bit flaky) was subjectively causing grey hair to sprout at an alarming rate at first, things ultimately went reasonably smoothly. Signal chain: Battery-powered Latitude E6330 (w/ Win10 22H2, Win 7/8.1...
  20. AnalogSteph

What are we listening to right now..

This last one captures the atmosphere of some things from back in the day, I'm always reminded of this...
Top Bottom