Search results

1. W

Douk VU3 VU Meter Review (Updated Version)

You can run the VU meter in parallel with your speakers (don't use it as a speaker switch, just use it as a VU meter) That's what I do and I can't tell any difference in performance.
  2. W

Topping 8-Channel Preamp: New Product Request

Agreed. This is exactly the same issue I ran into. One of the issues with Dirac is it does put significant attenuation into the system. I'm sure I could have solved it with a Power AMP that has some input gain control like Parasound, but that just was way beyond my budget.
  3. W

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

But PCM can be easily converted to PWM in the digital domain. That's my point, why go through an analog conversion?
  4. W

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

One thing I have wondered is why there aren't more direct digital class D amps. After all PWM is a form of digital. Why take a signal, convert it to analog and then back to PWM. My main beef on some of the highly touted class D power amps tested here is the lower gain they have in order to...
  5. W

Sound insulation and acoustic panels from rock wool or fiberglass wool?

I put in 4 12"x48" rockwool panels in my 15'x14' room. My room is carpeted and I have a fairly large cloth sofa in their. I put one panel behind each speaker and two on the opposite walls. I can't put them on the side walls for first reflection control as I have furniture and doors that...
  6. W

Best MQA Desktop DAC - preferably ~$500 though up to $1K

I second that comment. I just sold my e50 since I switched to using Dirac Live Bass Control on my PC which requires a multi-channel dac or AVR. I never thought a DAC could make that much difference, but this was clearly an upgrade of my AVR. For the price, it's hard to beat.
  7. W

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

That was my quest and it failed horribly. If someone does figure this out please post here. I wasn’t satisfied with mixing down the center channel. I was using the voicemeeter 8x8 matrix app. Just didnt sound as good as my AVR.
  8. W

I tried several different forms of cables and got a hum. Tried all kinds of different things. The only thing that worked was an active balanced to unbalanced converter, but I just didn't like the sound.
  9. W

The Topping DM7 only has balanced outputs. Not my choice, but just how it was made. Unfortunately, my listening room is also my office. I would have to put the center speaker right where I sit on my deck which would be a pain to move when I'm working. Even with a center channel the DM7...
  10. W

Yes or a six channel dac with at least one channel having an unbalanced output for a sub. That would be my ideal product. For movies, IMHO an AVR is really going to be the best solution. My quest was for a multichannel music system using only a DAC and power AMPs. Unfortunately the lack of...
  11. W

Topping DM7 Multichannel DAC

Selling Topping DM7 Multichannel DAC. Supports 8 channels. I was hoping to replace my AVR with a DAC+Power AMP setup, but there are just too many complexities in my system to get this to work for multichannel music. I didn't have good pairs of matching amps for front and rear, no center...
  12. W

That's basically what I tried but I had a hum in the subwoofer that I couldn't get rid of. I think it really depends on your setup.
  13. W

Peachtree amp500 Amplifier Review

Can’t a class D amp introduce phase shifts resulting from the output filter? I use Dirac on a PC for room correction and bass management. I can save different filters for different system configs. My AVR was used only as a DAC/Preamp/Amp with everything else shut off. For the Icepower...
  14. W

Peachtree amp500 Amplifier Review

What was your experience on imaging? There are some other reviews showing very high phase shift at higher frequencies. I just built an 1200AS2 amp and disappointed in the imaging. The sound is cleaner and the base is clearly tighter than what I had before (Denon x3700h), but the imaging seems...
  15. W

Do I need to upgrade my amps?

How was the imaging and stereo separation. I just built an Icepower 1200A2 based amp and I feel I took a hit on imaging and stereo separation.
  16. W

I get what you are saying but my understanding is the same as the earlier post by @russtafarian. I’m glad it woks for you, but I would be concerned about damaging the DM7 outputs by shorting the ring to sleeve...
  17. W

I made my own TRS to rca. Sleeve to sleeve, tip to tip. Tried ring to tip and it didn’t make and difference. Wouldn’t TS short one of the balanced outputs to ground?
  18. W

I believe it’s WASPI
  19. W

I finally have my DM7 setup for multichannel music running. My previous setup was a Denon x3700h AVR. My goal was to get to a cleaner setup using the DM7 as a DAC/Preamp. I don't have a center channel speaker so that made things a tricker. My setup is fairly complex but works well now. 1)...
Top Bottom