Search results

1. J

Guitar Pickups

Thanks for this hint, i did not know that. Looks good!
  2. J

Best way to screw a speaker into a baffle?

Anything can go wrong, but at least threaded bolts are specifically designed for detachable joints. Some "modern" wood screws have tricky sawtooth like threads that are clearly not good for multiple detachments but that gives then good grip and easy going in the forst time.
  3. J

Guitar Pickups

Of course, players are free to choose a nonlinear pickup with a telephone bandwith.
  4. J

Guitar Pickups

I never tested one, but the design has some innovative aspects. These are two printed coils, vertically stacked with something like 750 windings and an active preamplifier from what i have seen. As they don't publish technical details it is hard to say how it is really made up. The list of...
  5. J

Best way to screw a speaker into a baffle?

Ths choice of mounting element is not a matter of strength. If strength is a problem then the speaker will not be fixed or fall off. Mounting elements are classified how often they are re-detachable. A wood screw is not designed for frequent detachment. If you expect to remove the driver more...
  6. J

Guitar Pickups

No doubt, but that was a limiting border condition not a choice.
  7. J

Guitar Pickups

At this point i am not arguing about instrument, my point is specifically the pickup and it's clearly defined function: transducing string vibrations into an electric signal. This is not a question of music but a question of signal theory. And a frequency response that is not capped at 6 kHz is...
  8. J

Help me make sense of this passive crossover

In 1960 the DIN 45500 was defined, and in 1996 replaced by EN 61305. Among other things it defines how power capacity of a speaker was measured: the signa, the duration…. If you look at other marketing power figures like "PMPO" that all makes sense.
  9. J

Guitar Pickups

Todays guitar pickups are just sticking to design goals from 50 years ago. At that time there were only tube amplifiers with high noise level and high input impedance. Low impedance preamps were just not available, and preamps could not be integrated into the instrument. Therefore the pickup...
  10. J

Braided audio cable

braided coax cables have longer wire length than effective cable length. Therefore the inductance and resistance is somewhat higher. This is even measurable but for this application also completely irrelevant, as the resistance is in any case very very low compared to impedance of signal input...
  11. J

EC as in Electrical Conductivity

If you look to all formulars provided by Groover, Rosa, Strasser, Maxwell … you find a common principle, with two dependencies: Inductance is proportional to the lenght of a conductor, and the second it is proportional to the logarithm of distance/diameter. this is even common to all different...
  12. J

The inductance of a wire, or a wire pair, does depend on size, shape distance, magnetic permeability and material conductivity. Theory is complex but understandable. Everyone can proof it by doing measurement it with fairly simple methods: https://www.schwender-beyer.de/artikel.php?k=4&a=14...
  13. J

uups, you are right! Of course, and higher would not be an advantage, sorry for the mess. I will correct that in my post…
  14. J

Two cables, same length and one of silver, the other of aluminium with 1.3 times the diameter. So both have the same resistance. Nevertheless, there is a difference! The silver cable is thinner, and therefore it has a higher inductance (given the same isolation). You can measure that. Is this...
  15. J

Review and Measurements of IRS2092 IRAUD350 Class D Amplifier

I can confirm that my version of IRS2092 amplifier shows data that matches the data sheet values. I use these amps in prosound boxes, i don't consider the specification good enough to utilize it in audiophile application, the noise floor is just too high. In a prosound box the prevalence is...
  16. J

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

this is an interesting point, as amir's measurements are strictly bandwith limited. So, this is not a proof that RF doesn not matter. In fact it can matter, as soon as you look at RF interactions in input stages, you will find that there is cross sensitivity to RF. Generally, EM interference...
  17. J

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

These patents are funny read: »compressed electrons« do the job!! … what is patentable in the US is just amazing …
  18. J

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

The measurement is just incomplete: Did you measure the output impedance of the wall socket? You have to move to a house close to the local transformer station, even better direct vincity of the power plant, not further away than 10 m. Then the impedance on the output socket is low enough to...
  19. J

Toslink and Coax spdif

I have seen many poorly designed sound cards where the SPDIF interface is only hooked up without proper synchronisation. They fix it by just re-sampling – unbelievable but true.
  20. J

Motu M2 Review (Audio Interface)

This is a asymmetric loopback from line out to input. Sampling is 1M, Spectrum is 96 kHz. The 50 Hz peak is caused environmentally. Input oise is RMS 25,1 uV, the same input shortened gives the same value.
Top Bottom