Search results

1. C

Is matching metals to avoid galvanic corrosion a lost cause?

Because I have a bunch of static, permanently connected equipment, my intention was to match the plating of the contacts on the connectors to avoid galvanic corrosion (which I believe may have been leading to intermittent connections over time). I had thought only gold and nickel were widely...
  2. C

Loopback Latency Testing

I'm trying to get a reasonably accurate measurement of a DAC's latency. I Have the DAC on an input of my audio interface (MOTU UltraLite-Mk5). Then, in Audacity, with the DAC as the playback device and the audio interface as the recording device, I simultaneously play and record a click track...
  3. C

Can low frequency sine waves damage hardware like headphone amps?

I was trying to isolate and troubleshoot a chirping/ringing artifact I was hearing in bass-heavy audio (turns out it was from a probably-faulty DAC), and in the process I used a tone generator to generate low frequency sine waves all the way down to 1Hz. Obviously at the lowest end the tone was...
  4. C

Headphone Amp "Minimum Load Impedance" Spec Clarification

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've been googling it for 40 min and still not really any the wiser. I was looking at at the headphone amp specs on a Behringer line mixer, and they included "Minimum Load Impedance: 100Ω". Does this simply mean that you must not connect headphones with...
  5. C

iPhone: random popping on 3.5mm jack when no audio playing

I have an iPhone SE connected to a mixer via a 3.5mm TRRS-to-2xTRS (mic+phones) breakout adapter. When it's sitting idle, it produces intermittent pop noises. These only happen when the phone is idle. During playback no pops can be heard, even if I play a silent audio file. Other observations...
  6. C

Mixing multiple consumer S/PDIF devices - Clock sync issues?

The MOTU LP32 is a digital mixer with 4x TOSLink inputs and 4x TOSLink outputs. All of these can be configured as stereo S/PDIF. I would like to use it as a mixer for 4x stereo consumer S/PDIF devices (like PCs and gaming consoles) and output to 2x stereo consumer S/PDIF devices (a DAC and a...
  7. C

Adding TOSLINK passthrough to a DAC that doesn't have it.

I have a device that uses the AKM AK4555 chip as its DAC. I want to add a digital passthrough output to it. From what I can tell, the input format for the AK4555 is something called I2S. I can see I2S-to-toslink boards available for sale on the internet. Is it possible to tap the input pins on...
  8. C

Need DAC/ADC/headphone amp/mixer for consumer devices - is an Audio Interface the right choice?

I've been trying to find a low-latency Hi-Fi consumer-oriented mixer to combine a handful of digital and analog gear. So far, the Creative X7 is the closest thing I've been able to find, but even that falls short of my requirements. This has led me into the realm of "audio interfaces". What I...
Top Bottom