Search results

1. juliangst

Can a center channel improve stereo music?

While planning my surround sound setup I got stuck at the questions if I want to get add a center channel or not. For movies and native surround music like Dolby Atmos music a center channel makes absolutely sense because there is native content mixed to that channel. But most of my music still...
  2. juliangst

Does a surround sound receiver make sense for stereo content?

After reading about the new Schiit Syn I asked myself again if surround sound processing for stereo content is worth it . The Schiit is using one of the most simple ways to 'upmix' to surround by just playing the difference between L and R on the rear speakers to create a surround ambience. Home...
  3. juliangst

Absorption of triangular bass traps

I'm planning to build some bass traps. The rear wall will be treated with about 40cm of glass wool but I want something more attractive for the front wall. I really like the looks of triangular bass traps; they're not as visually intrusive as square bass traps to me. I do all my caculation...
  4. juliangst

TV between speakers

I haven't found any useful threads on this topic, so I'll start one now. All those die-hard audiophiles always claim that having a TV between your speakers can ruin the center image and soundstage. How much truth is to that? How large will be the difference between having a large TV (or any...
  5. juliangst

Using an integrated amp as a power amp

Hi, Because I want to properly integrate a sub I need to high pass my mains (LS50) but my amp does not have a main in to use it as a power amp. Is it possible to just use my integrated amp with the volume pot in a fixed position to achieve that? I already found the volume position in which...
  6. juliangst

Best Room EQ settings for a desk setup?

Hey, I just tried to correct my LS50 using REW and my Behringer ECM-8000 to get a flatter response. I set the volume to roughly 75dB using the pink noise generator. I only corrected peaks which are mainly caused by room modes in my setup. I used the following settings for the filter...
  7. juliangst

DAC impedance and voltage rating

I'm looking for a small dongle DAC with 2V output to feed my portable amp (Topping NX7). Because most manufacturers don't state voltage ratings for their dongle DAC I'm not sure which spec I have to pay attention to. Should I just use the power at the highest given impedance and calculate the...
  8. juliangst

Difference between Apple Dongle DACs

I have a few questions about the Apple dongle DACs: Are there any differences in performance between the Lightning and USB-C version? (because Laptops can provide more power over USB C than iPhones over Lightning) What is the difference in ouput level (in Volts) between the EU version and the...
  9. juliangst

Which 400€ DAC should I get?

Hey, I want an upgrade over my smsl Sanskrit 10 to go with my Topping A30 pro. I‘m considering the SMSL SU9n (400€) or Topping D30 Pro (350€) or maybe the topping E50 (270€). Im mainly using my DT1990 and LS50 in near field. The features on the smsl look nice and I’ve heard that the quality...
  10. juliangst

How lossy is bluetooth transmission?

Just a quick question about Bluetooth on iOS: If I play lossy music with Spotify or Apple music and use a bluetooth DAC AMP, which on iOS only supports the AAC codec, will I get the same signal as with a wired connection? Lossy music on Apple Music is AAC 256 kbit/s and the AAC bluetooth codec...
  11. juliangst

Good Preamp DAC Streamer with network volume control

Hi guys, I want to upgrade my system and I'm looking for a good streamer with preamp capability. I want to be able to control the hardware volume over network with the current streaming app in usage (like Spotify,Roon, Volumio or Airplay), so I don't have to use a dedicated remote for that. I...
Top Bottom