Search results

1. JaapDeventer

Noisy Purifi amplifiers

I had a hiss with my first DIY AES EBU cables. A different cable with more shielding did much better. Strangely a pair of rca converters and rca cable was dead silent.
  2. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

I did put an extra mains switch on the front. It really powers up and down very nicely.
  3. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

In my test setup I used a double switch to compare between NuTube and NuTube bypassed. With a pot to match volumes. I did not hear a different sound signature. But with NuTube I find the music more engaging and more spacious. In the final build I left out volume pot and switch as not to clutter...
  4. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

With Nelson Pass Korg NuTube preamp. With the two pots the plate voltage of the tubes can be adjusted. I like what it does. No added noises, just goose bumps
  5. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Today I gave my Pass Korg NuTube preamp a first try. Placed between Ares dac and Purifi amp. Great sound. Not balanced though.
  6. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Thank you both very much. Today I have assembled the Canare star quad cables. The amp is dead silent now. It's unbelievable. The other cable was also a shielded Canare. Much thicker wires. But only two of them. Star quad really removes the mains hum. Now I can finally enjoy the amp. Thanks again .
  7. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Thanks for the help. I ordered the Canare L-4E6S. I hope it reduces the hum.
  8. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

I did not really know what to buy as analog xlr cable. Did I buy the wrong cable or is starquad a more audiophile choice?
  9. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Yes, totally silent with only speakers connected. I suspect the xlr cables a little. I assembled them myself. The hum is clearly louder when the xlr cables are very close to the mains cable. It's the first time I'm using xlr so I don't know what to expect. I used the Canare cable below.
  10. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

I've tried with the amp connected to mains without ground wire. I did this also for the dac. I don't know if I tried with both dac and amp ground disconnected from mains. Sometimes it gets worse. Not better.
  11. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

I asked my question about grounding because I have a little hum from my Purifi Eval1 amp. I did make blank spots at the screws of both the Purifi modules and the smps. Because of the little hum I disassembled the amp today. I started wondering when I measured the smps seperately and it did not...
  12. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Hi, I do have a question on grounding. The metal plate of the SMPS1200 does not make contact with smps ground. The metal plates of the Purifi modules do have connection with ground. The black coating of the Modushop case is quite resistant. So without making a connection between the Purifi...
  13. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Hi, I'm wondering about the 1 Ohm resistors. I have the feedback wires soldered very well. The risk of one getting broken is very low. But what would happen if that one got broken. I read the amp than has an open loop. But would it break the speakers or the amp? Or would it just sound not as...
  14. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Almost finished. Sounding great! On/off switch and led at the front will be added soon.
  15. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

My amp is coming around nicely. It makes music already and Eval1 is switching on and off nicely with mains on smps1200. I have a question on smps standby: I have added an 12V input and output in parallel (see picture). I plan to connect the 12V adapter of my streamer to the input. 12V output...
  16. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Desoldering tip for the Deltrons: Use a little solder to meld the solder on the pins quicker. Use a banana plug for leverage. Ease front pin down a little first. Then back pin a little (see picture). Then front pin loose. Then back pin loose. This was quick and easy. Where as using a vacuum pump...
  17. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Thank you for the reply. So the first are necessary for the Eval1 to output sound. Amp Enable turns the Eval1 on after SMPS has stabilised. Using Amp Enable switch S1 is no longer required and can be removed? DC Error can be connected for speaker protection. I understand this is advisable.
  18. JaapDeventer

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Today I gave the Purifi Eval1 a go. Terribly shocked how loud is was. I have a question about Eval1 J3. I connected Eval1 J3 5,6,7 to respectively SMPS1200 J5 3,5,7. What is the function of this connection? Others have shown how to additionally connect Eval1 J3 1,3 to SMPS1200 J4 6,10. What is...
  19. JaapDeventer

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Purifi amp

I'm in doubt between ordering an Audiophonics purifi amp or building one. Might even buy LPA-S400ET and move the parts to a Slimline 2U 280mm case. One question I have is on Audiophonics using their own bufferboard. Purifi uses feedback from the speaker terminals. You can see them using three...
  20. JaapDeventer

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

The SHD Studio plays gappless over DLNA. No issues here.
Top Bottom