Search results

1. Multicore

How to share uncompressed audio with player on ASR etc.?

I want to share uncompressed PCM audio clips that you can play with one click/touch here on ASR and other such forums (and DL if you want). Does anyone know a service that does that like YouTube does for video or Imgur does for images? Soundcloud comes close but 1) requires an account to...
  2. Multicore

A new era begins: I finally upgraded to STEREO!

For the first time in my not short life I am making stereo recordings. Some of you have experienced my polemics about this dubious creature called stereo that's typically found skulking somewhere in the neighborhood of Silly and often visiting Fraudulent in the great metropolis of Overrated. But...
  3. Multicore

Yamaha powered speaker block diagram

I may soon be in the market for a performance speaker and found myself looking at Yamaha's top-of-the-line DZR portable powered boxes and found this block diagram. I was quite impressed to find four stages of EQ plus delay in the crossover. But I guess that's just software once you've got a DSP...
  4. Multicore

Sad Stereo - neglected, damaged, destroyed, discarded, scrapped, gone to heaven...

Share pictures, stories, videos, poems of sad stereo. They don't need to be yours, just good enough to share. REALISTIC SYSTEM 300 How long was this in someone's home before it got kicked to the curb last week? It sold (when?) with speakers almost as big as the system cabinet. Was this part of...
  5. Multicore

Why not use effects to get the sound of vinyl?

iZotope and others have effects for producing the sound of vinyl playing on a turntable. They allow quite a lot of control introducing the distortions and coloration typical of vinyl production and playback. So why not use that with the convenience of digital source to get the sound of vinyl...
  6. Multicore

Sonos Roam bluetooth problems

I got a Sonos Roam a few days ago. I like the size, weight and sound very much and on that basis would like to keep it but I got big trouble with the bluetooth connection. So far I have trouble getting the bluetooth audio connection to work almost every time I turn it on. In two days: One time...
  7. Multicore

In the Court of the Crimson King: King Crimson at 50 (the official documentary film)

I watched this on Friday. It's pretty good. As in introduction to the band I think it would be pretty confusing but if you know something about Crim or have a bit of a soft spot then you might get a kick out of it. Toby Amies, the film maker, had ridiculous amount of access to the band and was...
  8. Multicore

Does music theory qualify as a theory?

Afaict, what's conventionally called music theory neither explains nor predicts anything. It is a language for describing certain aspects of music, usually to do with pitch relationships and rhythms. It it certainly a language that's useful to people dealing with music but to someone like me...
  9. Multicore

Suggest target curves for us

Our MiniDSP Flex has four presets but we use only one: Julian Krause's target from the video where he shows how to use REW to make measurements and produce parametric eq specs. I don't think we've ever had better sound but it makes sense to play around and maybe learn something more about our...
  10. Multicore

Budget, flattish, full-range LDC. Rode NT1000?

I appears to have a much flatter response than most of the popular budget LDCs. Same as the NTK but with solid-state preamp. I'm not very experienced with mics. They sell used for under $200. What do you think?
  11. Multicore

Top 3 new recordings of 2023

It's time for those ill researched and hastily written end of year round ups! Your task with the absurdly short deadline: produce five inches of copy with: - Your Top Three releases of 2023. - Text artist name and release title (for the sight limited and those of us with 3rd party content...
  12. Multicore

High resolution you can use. 108 Gigapixel scan of a Vermeer

I enjoyed this. It's a super high-res 3-D scan capturing depth information using small depth of field. Took 88 consecutive hours. https://petapixel.com/2023/11/21/108-gigapixel-3d-microscope-scan-of-vermeer-masterpiece-is-largest-ever/ Explore the captured image here...
  13. Multicore

Sensitive over-ear phones for use with weak old iPod Touch

What do you suggest under $300 for a friend who wants to use an old iPod Touch that doesn't have much power?
  14. Multicore

Would it be possible to crowdsource an ASR preference curve for headphones?

We've got Amir's measurements for various models of headphones. Some subset of them could presumably be EQed to a common baseline. Further EQ under automatic software could be used to test preference of a variety of curves. I really didn't give this much thought so it may be completely...
  15. Multicore

Weird names for things. What you got?

It might be fun to collect some terms we use that are literally incorrect but we know what you mean, like Linear power supply for a power supply that's designed around a bridge rectifier. Not very linear. Multi-channel to mean more than two channels, as if stereo wasn't also multi-channel...
  16. Multicore

Test tracks for low-bitrate codec subjective tests, your suggestions please

I'm interested in the difference between HE-AAC-v2 and Opus at 32 kbps. Test tracks might be a bit different from those we use to test loudspeakers. I need to obtain 44.1 kHz uncompressed PCM since that's the input rate in the application.
  17. Multicore

Leo Brouwer - stunning new solo guitar recording on YouTube

Sonata Homo Ludens No. 8 played by Deion Cho This video went up on Youtube recently and I think it's really something. The composition is newish, 2021, and sensational. The performance is from 2022. The playing is unreal. Having that much control is mind bending to me but Cho uses that...
  18. Multicore

The quintessential 80s pop song?

Not your favorite! or a good one! or any of that... What represents the zeitgeist of the new rapacious 80s egocentric philistine consumerism best? I vote for a-ha -Take on Me. I'm not offering it as an object of derision. I also love the song. Why? Because at my local dive bar, the only bar I...
  19. Multicore

Dongle, direct wired or Bluetooth ear/headphones with your phone?

This poll is for those of you that regularly listen to audio played by the phone on your person using personal listening device such as headphones, earphones, earbuds, IEMs. Those 3.5mm sockets seem to be on the way out and I expect I'll have to adapt to this new order at some point. I'm...
  20. Multicore

[Electrical] Engineers on the brink of extinction threaten entire tech ecosystems

This opinion piece in The Register (from summer last year) attempts to explain the shortage of EE recruits some industry is dealing with. https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/18/electrical_engineers_extinction/ The gist is that when we were young we could develop our fascination for...
Top Bottom