Search results

1. Multicore

Where does quantization noise come from.

The question as asked in the thread title is interesting. Quantization residuals are fairly straightforward to explain. But why do we call a sequence of them "noise"? and where did that signal come from? If I know your quantization scheme I can arrange an input signal so that one string quartet...
  2. Multicore

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

I would need to be at least somewhat expert in that specific field of design to comment but it's very remote from my field.
  3. Multicore

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

I think the less is more ethos can be attractive depending on the context, for example when I, a contrarian, am feeling oppressed by the more is more consumer ethos, which is not exactly uncommon in audio. But I don't think it is a very useful engineering concept. It's too simplistic. A good...
  4. Multicore

What are the three most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower RAAL loud speakers. Satisfied. No need to change them. Probably ever, assuming we don't lose them in a fire or something.
  5. Multicore

Speaker "Speed"

Can you give a sentence or paragraph of text in which "speed" of a speaker comes up?
  6. Multicore

Why eq to a flat response prior to eq'ing to a Harman Curve?

That makes sense. It saves you the trouble of remembering the baseline eq.
  7. Multicore

Why eq to a flat response prior to eq'ing to a Harman Curve?

Schröder Bass Nulls is going on my list of titles looking for recordings.
  8. Multicore

Break from Tekton Thread

TRRL! My first job out of college was a road traffic computer model contract for TRRL.
  9. Multicore

Break from Tekton Thread

Yesterday I took L&Z to visit a friend who has two large German shepherd dogs, litter mates, and they have all been friends for years but we were entering their home and L&Z know they could be eviscerated in no time so they better be nice and boy did they make a show. If you videoed the first 5...
  10. Multicore

Break from Tekton Thread

Love it. It's curious how entertaining it is to watch these behaviors. I assume they enjoy it because it looks that way but who knows. Here's my Lucy going bananas on a big heap of mulch. NOTE: the audio is a completely unrelated clip from a podcast
  11. Multicore

Break from Tekton Thread

Rotten weekend here. Got a call Friday afternoon from across the world from my wife's dad with very bad news about her mom. She left yesterday and is now in Budapest. Prognosis uncertain at this point. I am here with the dogs who are a comfort. We had time to go for a hike yesterday morning...
  12. Multicore

(Unofficial) Topping D50 III DAC review and measurements

Dang! Talk about icing on a cake. And cute too: Topping Tune.
  13. Multicore

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

I say, Go for it! As for the specifics, I gave one reply #18 here. Otherwise I think you should prioritize the concerns of the reviewers who are interested to actually "buy in" to the association over ours. The collective practical skills and knowledge of ASR peeps is huge but no matter how...
  14. Multicore

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Ok. In that case the answer is plain and simple: no. We're on page 375. The point of the thread is not to find that kind of consensus. It is to have fun disagreeing over something that doesn't matter very much but we can maybe feel some emotion about and maybe seem clever or funny with what we...
  15. Multicore

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

Protocols for presenting review information as clearly one of 1) measurements that the reviewer believes to be repeatable (i.e. objective); versus 2) inferences from measurements (i.e. theoretical extrapolation from measurement in which the theory has some consensus, e.g. predicted in-room...
  16. Multicore

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Yes. I can. I did. Lots of us can and did. What difference did it make?
  17. Multicore

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

If I were an indi reviewer, I would not want to lead with trying to establish a defense fund. (It can create its own headaches and can be established later.) I would lead with trying to set up regular communication among like-minded reviewers who share the common interest that a successful...
  18. Multicore

Tekton style like tweeter array good idea?

I suspect that some people like beaming as it can introduce perceptual effects that give an impression of "soundstage". Arrays do more than form beams though (don't they?) like complex frequency dependent radiation patterns. And again I suspect some people enjoy that. I'm sure lots of us have...
  19. Multicore

I don't see how an agreement between A and B mitigates a threat to either A or B coming from C.
  20. Multicore

I watched the measurement presentation and the conclusion. I thought he did a good job, balanced presenting an adequately brave face with being honest about what it was like.
Top Bottom