Search results

1. Maki

Battle of RCA Cables: Mogami, Amazon, Monoprice

where can I get star hex cables I need this
  2. Maki

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

This DAC is objectively above average by any measured metric. Nobody here disagrees with that. Again, the issue is with wild unsubstantiated magical claims.
  3. Maki

Nobody hates the Ares, the engineering going into making an R2R measure this well at its price is impressive. What is getting hate is the people insisting it's somehow magic and makes everything sound better. It ain't magic. It's just a DAC.
  4. Maki

I only have a focusrite scarlett interface but I could if you're interested, just pm me a FLAC file and I'll play it over asio.
  5. Maki

I'm nothing compared to some people on this forum but I've wasted at least 20K in this hobby, probably more, and you absolutely do not get what you pay for most of the time.
  6. Maki

General Mistreatment toward windows 7 users.

I think the concept of selling stuff has been around for like a couple thousand years at least.
  7. Maki

Can you hear a difference? 250hz and 1250hz playing at same time, but 1250 Hz is at 60db down. Vs pure 250hz tone.

I listen to A and B at the beginning to make sure which is which. I'm not actually sure if foobar randomizes those though. Also foobar glitches out every once in a while and adds really nasty static bursts when switching sometimes. That was unpleasant.
  8. Maki

Can you hear a difference? 250hz and 1250hz playing at same time, but 1250 Hz is at 60db down. Vs pure 250hz tone.

10/10 ABX(Y?), easy. After about the 5th trial I stopped listening to both X and Y samples and was able to hear the answer based on X alone. Test run on STAX 009 with EQ to neutral. This log is the second test because I forgot to save the text of the first, which is why the times are faster...
  9. Maki

Schiit Lokius Review (Equalizer)

Oh man they're making a big boy? I'm excited. Hopefully they choose the bass frequency bands more wisely this time.
  10. Maki

Schiit Lokius Review (Equalizer)

The criticism of the two bass knobs is exactly correct, I bought one intending to use it as a quick way to add a decent bass boost without mucking around in software but it does fall short because of the bands' frequency picks. A 10hz knob and a 50hz knob for bass would make more sense, then a...
  11. Maki

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Built not bought, it is objectively one of the most powerful amps on the market that is for sure. Do I need it? No, but it was fun to build and sounds transparent.
  12. Maki

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Yes and no, it depends on your listening volume and the amount of bass boost. A SRM-727 level amp should be enough for almost everyone I'd think, and most would be fine with SRM-353X and similar. I have a 450V carbon and I measured its output with a scope and I don't get anywhere near the...
  13. Maki

I just realized my time is better spent finding and correcting small imperfections in my headphone's frequency response as that is orders of magnitude more important to sound quality than whatever my source is doing.
  14. Maki

I have done an informal blind test. The results were that I gave up halfway through because listening to the same track over and over again is no fun, and the differences were imperceptible. It's funny how people can't hear or don't care about the myriad of flaws with their headphones' frequency...
  15. Maki

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

The feel isn't that good to be honest. Functionally it's great and no complaints about the matching - but the stops don't feel as crisp as higher end pots and there's a bit of "springiness" where it will go back half a degree after you release the knob. That being said, it's pretty much par for...
  16. Maki

Newbie looking for advise

Might want to recap the SRM1 if it hasn't been serviced for a decade or two just in case.
  17. Maki

There isn't though my Ares occasionally freaks out and sends a massively distorted signal until I pause and restart the music.
  18. Maki

Ur gear isn't resolving enough to hear that all dacs are the same, try again with sr-009S and kgsshv carbon lol
  19. Maki

Yup glad you figured it out. Try not to get grifted by snake oil merchants in the future :)
  20. Maki

Well usually the ultra high end boutique stuff also measures like crap too lol
Top Bottom