Search results

1. D

The pain of being a member of ASR

Despite ASR has gained big popularity over the years, the world we live in is still full of audiophools. Many of them are, sadly, our friends. It's not enough to unfriend them over their belief in things that we believe are non senses/snake oils, but it's sometimes painful to see what they do or...
  2. D

The search for atmos/height speakers

I am at lost, is there a good, cost effective Atmos/height speakers out there. I sold my Focal Dome Flax due to the abysmal review a couple of months ago. I can however not afford the KEF R8 Meta - I would rather spend less than 500 EUR/pair. If someone has suggestions for something that can be...
  3. D

Noise/distortion when playing from Youtube

When I play music from Youtube (don't judge, for casual listening), there is noticable noise and distortion. The setup is nvidia shield (ethernet/youtube premium) => denon x4800h => Focal aria 948 I can confirm such videos are fine when playing on my phone or pc. Also if I play tidal on shield...
  4. D

Variable impedance - what's the audible impact

A noob question that I have been too afraid too ask :oops: We have been shown that many (or all?) speakers have variable impedance - like a nominal 8 Ohm speaker can dip at around 90-120Hz to 3 Ohm (or even lower, 2.5 Ohm in my case). what's the audible impact of that? Or would it just...
  5. D

Show us your cookware

Apparently many members are interested in cooking, if not talented cooks. Show us your cookware, what brand and what you like about it My favorite pan is a Demeyere Proline. 7 layers, thick and heavy as hell. But the construction is impeccable, so is heat distribution. I assume it would last...
  6. D

500€ for headphone and amp. What is my best option

Hi all, I have never had a proper hifi headphone setup. Most "luxurious" headphone I have is Sony XM3 and it is for features (noise cancelling etc.). Now I wonder what the fuzz is about and if I have missed some important things in my life. What is the best I can get out of 500€, headphone and...
  7. D

Avforums started to include measurements in their speaker review

Long time ago (10 years?) I was a frequent at Avforums because they reviewed a wide range of things, especially TVs with I was interested in. I was not big fan of their speaker reviews, not because of they are subjective (I had no idea whatsoever), but because I had no interest. Checking one of...
  8. D

What are you hoping to buy in BF?

Black Friday could be full of surprises and we can end up buying things we did not plan to. But what is your wishlist waiting for a good discount?
  9. D

Marantz SR7015 vs Denon x4700h

Yes, I know both were reviewed here and based on the reviews alone, x4700h wins, no contest. However, I am trying to be more than just "pure audio performance" here, as they are both for home theatre setup and I have little to no time sitting down for critical listening. Did anyone here choose...
  10. D

Chargers, what brands do you trust

I'm looking to buy a 2 (or more) usb-c output charger, there are a few good deals with Amazon Prime Days. It has been a while since my last charger purchase: - Anker, probably the most popular brand, I have like 4 or 5 of them, been working well, but not sure if they remain the best p/p charger...
  11. D

Sennheiser HD 599 Special Edition - worth it?

I am thinking about buying HD599 SE (exclusive to Amazon) at around $90 new - thanks to the exchange rate. is it worth it? I missed the Monolith THX 887 deal at $200, so it will have to be in the box for a while. any other amp in that price range that I should consider? Thanks
  12. D

DYI speaker project for a complete newbie

Hi, A crazy idea crossed my mind last night - what's about I build a pair of speakers? Have been a "software" guy for my entire "adult" life, it's time to make it harder - no more micro & soft! Now I heard Hivi v3.1 is great, but it costs much more in EU where I live than in the US. Any...
  13. D

Your casual listening playlist

Show us playlists that you listen to casually. Not critical listening in quiet room, perhaps some music for living room or music to get you to the "zone" when working?
  14. D

What is your stance on Chinese brand Hi-fi equipment

It's undeniable that Hifi equipment from Topping, SMSL, Sabaj, Aiyama etc. are very popular here in ASR. The interests seem huge, but I wonder what's the consensus, are they actually popular or just we are led to believe?
  15. D

Show us your home theatre setup

So I joined a few Facebook groups about home theatre, and you can guess, most of the setup there are Klipsch. Klipsch is the most popular setup, and it is not even close. So I wonder, while the majority of ASR are probably into Hifi/stereo setup alone, there must be a significant portion of you...
  16. D

Streaming advice: what to improve?

My current setup for playing music is Tidal/Spotify => ChromeCast Ultra => AVR (Onky NR809) I will have to stick with that Onkyo for a while. I'm fairly happy with current setup because it's convenient/simple/cost effective. Just wondering if there is anyway it could be improved. Would replacing...
  17. D

Hold off your purchases?

I'm tempted to buy a Yamaha A-S301/501, looks good, solid piece of engineering price seems right etc. No that I need it, more like I "want to try". Only until I check the price graph So compared to 2 years ago, price almost doubled. WTF. And not only these, many other things like AVRs also...
  18. D

Ripping music CDs

It has been a long time since I touch a music CD, but then my kids got some children music CDs from a service. I am thinking that I may rip them, but want to make sure a few things before buying a CD reader - as long as I have the physical discs and I do not distribute the ripped files, it...
  19. D

Why make high impedance loudspeakers?

Amplifiers usually have significantly lower output for 8ohm than 4ohm. It almost feels like manufacturers have a (small) incentive to make 4ohm speakers - theirs would be easier to drive even with existing amplifiers. Why would manufacturers still make 8ohm speakers? Any benefits for higher...
  20. D

What was the equipment upgrade you are most happy with?

That one time when you upgrade part of your system and you were beyond joyful and get your money worth every penny, what did you replace ? ;)
Top Bottom