Search results

1. Loomynarty

Topping HS02 USB isolator early impressions

If I had to take a wild guess what IC this isolator is using, it's probably the relatively new ADuM 4165 from Analog Devices. I haven't found any isolator state outright they're using this IC but considering AD are pretty much the only company making USB isolator ICs that actually work, it'd be...
  2. Loomynarty

The USB Troll

The noise is still technically there, it's just being cancelled out/suppressed by the differential mode connection (balanced). In my system, my DAC is connected to my headamp/preamp using balanced but if I connect anything to the RCA preouts I get the dreaded 8kHz USB packet noise coming through...
  3. Loomynarty

The USB Troll

Analog Devices has now made a High-Speed USB version of their ADuM4160/3160 ICs. Namely, ADuM4165/3165. Now if only I knew how to make my own USB isolator using their evaluation board...
  4. Loomynarty

KZ ZSX IEM Review

This was the second IEM I ever purchased back in 2018 and I could never figure out why it sounded so grainy in the mids... Now I know why lol
  5. Loomynarty

Arya Organic Headphones

If anything the BK 5128 should be closer to how the average person hears a headphone due to its acoustic impedance being closer to that of a human compared to GRAS rigs.
  6. Loomynarty

Rolls SX45 Review (Analog Crossover)

@amirm If I were to put this after my preamp so that I'm feeding it a much lower signal than line level would that reduce the distortion?
  7. Loomynarty

Is there a method to make headphones sound *flat to your own ears*?

I actually find the stock R70x tuning pretty ok besides being too warm. It's harman target EQs for over ear headphones that I have a problem with. Harman EQ always sounds muffled and/or like voices are coming through a walkie-talkie. My results with crossfeed are mixed, it works well with some...
  8. Loomynarty

Is there a method to make headphones sound *flat to your own ears*?

I've sort of gone down the same rabbit hole but I went with a different approach after buying some flat measuring studio monitors. I built an in-ear mic, measured my speakers left and right channels then measured my R70x L+R channels, subtracted the difference from both frequency responses then...
  9. Loomynarty

How do you hear headphone 'soundstage'

After listening to speakers for any amount of time, all headphones sound in my head. Surprisingly, some of my IEMs sound "wider" than my over-ear headphones.
  10. Loomynarty

Master Complaint Thread About Headphone Measurements

In what sense do you mean it's difficult to detect very broad tilts? According to Floyd Toole and Sean Olive, wideband frequency response tilts are by far the easiest things to hear in blind testing. It's actually the exact opposite of what you say. Narrow Q changes are very difficult to detect...
  11. Loomynarty

What makes a High-End Amp Better Than a Sub-$500 Chinese Amp?

There's actually plenty of negative feedback implemented in well-measuring amps ;)
  12. Loomynarty

HE6SE harshness

+1 for @solderdude suggestion of reducing the 8-12kHz range. I have to apply sharp filters around 9500Hz for both my HE6se v2 and ATH-R70x to reduce S sounds. For my HE6se v2 specifically, I used a tone generator to find all the areas that are causing resonances with my ears (this will be...
  13. Loomynarty

Are headphones frequency response measurements irrelevant?

Over ear headphones interact with your outer and inner ear which causes a HRTF that is unique to your head and ears. Measurements of frequency response are made on rigs that attempt to mimic an average HRTF which is not similar to any one individual. There are so many factors that affect how you...
  14. Loomynarty

SMSL HO200 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Contrary to what random people on forums will tell you, the HE6se v2 doesn't need more than maybe 2W into 50 ohms. I can drive them on the HO200 at medium gain with plenty of volume left on the pot.
  15. Loomynarty

Pass Labs HPA-1 Headphone Amp Review

Definitely not. WHAMMY uses an op-amp input stage with MOSFET output stage not JFET input stage like the HPA-1. WHAMMY was also designed years later and from the measurements I've seen, measures much better.
  16. Loomynarty

SMSL HO200 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

I've had it for 3 days now and I'm really impressed, especially for the price. I did quite a bit of research before buying this amp as I needed something that checked quite a few boxes without much compromise. Those features being: 1) real pre-amp functionality, not a pass-through, 2) low enough...
  17. Loomynarty

Is the input impedance of SMSL SP400 actually 47k?

Ok, I bought the Gustard X16. Happy now?
  18. Loomynarty

Geshelli Archel 2.5 X/XL reviews?

Yes, my plan would be to run balanced from my Ares II and RCA in from my cd player since the inputs can be switched. I asked for reviews of the newest version, not the one from 2 years ago. Thanks
  19. Loomynarty

Geshelli Archel 2.5 X/XL reviews?

I can't find many reviews of the newest version of the Geshelli Archel 2.5? Has anyone purchased this amp and what are your thoughts? https://geshelli.com/product/archel-2-5xl/ Cheers
  20. Loomynarty

Carver Raven 350 Review (Tube Amp)

Much like @solderdude stated, this FR discrepancy will only be enhanced by a speaker load, not reduced. The HF difference will likely be a few dB more than what the 4 ohm resistive load is causing. HF hearing loss is different for most people but, let's look at 12 khz as an example; we can see...
Top Bottom