Search results

1. S

E1DA Power DAC v2 EQ curves

Is there a place to download other curves? Looking for a Harmon HD58x curve. Would the HD6XXX curve be close enough? Cheers!
  2. S

Got some testing to do!

Topping EX5 vs SMSL C200 vs Fiio K7 vs Topping DX3PRO v2 (cheap used unit from eBay). With a Drop THX AAA 789 to test balanced output if needed.
  3. S

iPhone / iPad connection to USB without CCK

Found a way to avoid the CCK or Lightning USB dongle. Get a Fiio LT-LT3 lightning to USB C lead and it just works. It also works with lightning extension cables, so plug extension into iDevice and plug the Fiio lead into that and then connect to your DAC etc. The extension leads are handed so...
  4. S

Closed phones recommendation for HD58x user

Love my HD58x open phones but which closed phones are comparable or ‘better’ for up to £500 (happy with used). Amazon is preferred purchase place for new due to returns. Amp is SMSL C200 combo or Drop THX AAA 789.
  5. S

Dongle vs desktop unit

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but with all the new products now available can dongles be ‘better’ than desktop combos? I currently have a 789 amp and running balanced from a Ifi Zen DAC v1 (with external power supply) to HD58X balanced. I also have a choice of dongles (running balanaced)...
  6. S

EQ what is lost in lossy codec or bluetooth?

When using a Bluetooth connection the music is compressed so can sound not quite the same when A/B testing against the iron dam but not by much to my ears. Can what’s lost in the conversion be EQ’ed back in eg using REW with pink noise over the Bluetooth connection and boosting the bottom and...
  7. S

APE free converter

Looking for a free APE to FLAC converter for Mac - any ideas? Can only find paid versions.
  8. S

Before I buy DT990PROs - any other options to consider?

Can get these from Amazon UK for £101 new, but before I pull the pin wondering if there is anything else I should consider like Fidelio X2, AKG K702, Fostex T50RPMKIII etc I like a wide range of music but do like sub bass rumble and mid bass kick on my rock and electronic music :) These will...
  9. S

Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition vs Hifiman HE400

Can get either of these used for the same money - which would be ‘best’? I like all types of music but I do like a good mid and sub bass response for rock, dance and trance. DAC/amp is a DX3PRO. Many thanks!
  10. S

Differences between HiFiMan 400 series headphones

What is the actual difference between the HE-400, 400i and 400s versions? Then what’s the difference between these and the Massdrop HE-4XX? If you were buying used, which version is best to aim for? Confused on what the actual difference is and if there is any actual difference in performance...
  11. S

USB to digital using XMOS chip - cheap options

Currrently have a HiFiMe Sabre for going from my iPhone via usb to optical output. It uses the SA9023 chip I believe but understand that the XMOS U208 is a better chip for USB to digital conversion. Which cheap options are there to give me usb to digital optical or coax using the XMOS chip...
  12. S

Ali Express $2 coupons not showing up

Have collected $40 worth by clicking the button on the Black Friday / Cyber Monday promotion. When I go to the buy page to pay they aren’t shown and I can’t use them. They are active and shown in my coupons but can’t select them use them :( Am I missing something or are the coupons actually...
  13. S

USB to digital converters - all the same?

Have done A/B testing with a HiFiMe Sabre and D10 to a basic DAC (PCM5101 chip) and Fiio A3 amp to a pair of NAS Viso headphone - can’t hear any (noticeable) difference. Is this to be expected (its digital after all) and the only real difference is the maximum sample rate which each can handle...
  14. S

USB power noise reduction

When plugged into the mains with a switching power supply plug it’s silent but when I power it from usb (only needs 5v and has a barrel jack) I get some hum. It’s a DYP au-d3-192 small DAC. Got some average usb to barrel jack converter cables to try and saves a plug on the wall being used but...
  15. S

Need 3 x DACs and cheapish

Working on a car install which will use iPhone as the source, Topping D10 to take usb input and give digital out, then into a miniDSP nanoDIGI. Instead of the D10 I can use a HiFiMe Sabre ESS9018. After this I’ll need 3 x DACs from the NanoDIGI to the amp (Genesis 5 Limited). Currently I’m...
  16. S

Recommend amp and headphones to use with Topping D10

Currently using a Fiio A3 amp and RHA buds which seems a waste of the D10. Budget is £500 for the amp and headphones and UK based. Prefer desktop headphone amp as I don’t have an amp rack. What would you recommend? Cheers! Simon
  17. S

Cheap DAC - coax input and 5v powered

Looking at the CYB AU-D3-192, Lindy Professional or Fiio Taishan. Could only see the Fiio tested on here and didn’t score too well. Any views in which is better? There will be 3 of these feeding a 5 channel amp from a miniDSP nanoDIGI DSP unit and Topping D10 to convert USB to spdif from an...
  18. S

USB to digital output converter - use when iPhone

Looking for a usb to digital converter (prefer coax). Have a Hifime Sabre 9018 which has optical output. However, is the Topping D10 or something else a better unit to use? Cheers! Simon
Top Bottom