Search results

1. bboris77

Fosi Audio ZA3 Amplifier Review

I have a very specific question for anyone that may be using both rca and balanced inputs and is connecting a subwoofer: Do you need to readjust the volume level on your subwoofer whenever you switch from balanced to unbalanced input on your ZA3? I’m planning to use both inputs and it would be...
  2. bboris77

XMOS driver settings for no cutoff/delay

If I were @SMSL-Mandy, I’d be contacting Qobuz to figure out how they are managing to keep these XMOS devices from going to sleep. It ought to be a fairly simple/trivial fix that would keep a lot of Mac users happy. I know we tend to be forgotten since we’re in the minority, but we are fairly...
  3. bboris77

XMOS driver settings for no cutoff/delay

OMG, this workaround actually 100% worked. This means that solution is very simple but someone has to write a piece of software that does this in Mac OS.
  4. bboris77

SVS SB-3000 - inside pics, specs and thoughts

What about low-level rumble when LFE knob is turned all the way up (to LFE)? Mine SB-1000 does this and it also has a very low-level hiss that sometimes gets very quiet, and sometimes a little bit more audible. SVS is sending me a spare plate amp to see if makes any difference. It really is not...
  5. bboris77

YAMAHA A-S701 - tear-down, thoughts about the internals & few measurements

Yes, fortunately I did not overtorque the other side. Still fairly disappointed that it broke at all as I’m fairly gentle with my equipment. The sheet metal that the posts screw into must be fairly thin to wear out that quickly. Lesson learned - I’ve gone back to banana plugs now on my other stuff.
  6. bboris77

When you say 2 piece assembly - do you mean two different binding post modules with 4 posts each? Because, the one for the right speaker is working perfectly fine. I only need the one for the left speaker (which is on the right side lol). Unless you mean the 4-post module comes in two parts...
  7. bboris77

So, some good news. Yamaha Canada is willing to sell me the part for about $35 including shipping. They are saying that the correct part is WU987400. The part is not stocked so it may take up to 5 weeks but I’m ok with that. The replacement process should be fairly easy but I would appreciate...
  8. bboris77

3-Body Problem

I had to look up what “DEI” meant. I’m old loll. I thought it was just lazy casting - it’s not like it is impossible to find non-white good actors that can seem plausible in a role of a nerdy physicist. This show just failed at that and hoped nobody would call it out for the fear of being...
  9. bboris77

The question now is where I can purchase this TE102 module from? Part number seems to be either WU987400 or WU987600 according to the service manual. I’m hoping that consumers can buy these parts. Replacing it seems fairly trivial in terms of disassembly and soldering. I would much rather use...
  10. bboris77

Sorry for my ignorance, but is it ok to use banana plugs on a binding post that cannot be screwed down tightly? I would assume that the contact surface would not be as great if one was to use a banana plug without tightening the binding post first. Here is a video of the issue:
  11. bboris77

I have a question for anyone that may have replaced binding posts on one of these amps - how hard is it to do so? I am fairly competent when it comes to soldering - I managed to make my own Bottlehead Crack a couple of years ago. I am also unsure how hard it is to find spare parts for these...
  12. bboris77

Noisy digital audio on LG TVs

Here’s an update from JDS Labs confirming that the performance of the optical output of their LG TV is not quite as disastrous as originally thought. They repeated the test while using 16-bit 48kHz and the SINAD was 95dB. Still quite low in the current day and age, but potentially inaudible...
  13. bboris77

Schiit Audio post sales experience

That is an interesting episode - I mean, you did get a response and they offered to send you one, but for a $15 which is probably the cost of shipping it in a smallest box they use. It is a bit strange since it's a very cheap part and you could probably stick it in an envelope like you said...
  14. bboris77

Schiit Audio post sales experience

I would give them a 9 out of 10 for customer support. I don't think I have ever received a totally DOA product from them or one that died completely within the warranty period. A few times when there were functional issues such as a malfunctioning gain switch on an amp or cosmetic issues such as...
  15. bboris77

After the hype of Chinese HiFi brands, what is the jury?

Reliability of a device is an indicator of the TLC that an engineer/company puts into designing and making it. It is also an indicator of how proud they are of their work. As a consumer, I find those qualities attractive, irrespective of the cost of the device. Conversely, when I see that a...
  16. bboris77

Why do DACs often use USB B for the USB input?

The main reason why companies continue to use it is because it is thicc ;) It is kind of convenient not to have to change your cables, and there is that perception of quality that comes with a beefier-looking connector. However, both USB-A and USB-B are rated for "only" 1500 mating cycles...
  17. bboris77

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

Could not agree more on all points. Perfectly summarized. And I liked Beavis and Butthead :)
  18. bboris77

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

The good news is that there have been no further reports of failures as this new revision is slowly making its way to people’s homes. Perhaps that one failure was just an outlier and the underlying issue that plagued the V1 had been resolved. I sincerely hope so, because competition between...
Top Bottom