Search results

1. B

Denon Replaces AKM AK4458 DAC IC in X4700H and X6700H

Have mine now for three years and stil am very happy. There is no reason to assume it sounds worse than the X4800h which tested reasonably well also according to Amir.
  2. B

Marantz Cinema 40 AVR Review

In Europe (Netherlands) Denon can be sourced for about € 1,400 whereas Marantz is at least € 2,000
  3. B

How does 'yester-years' Denon AVC 8500H(A) compare to today's 'stars'?

All, As prices are dropping for Denon's previous AVR of the year, the 8500, I'm interested in your opinion if you, like me, think it's becoming great value. Indeed, no Dirac but AKM or (HA) ESS DAC's, great sound, a lot of power etc. etc. How does it compare to the new Denons, Sony's and...
  4. B

Ha ha, I read what you write… being Dutch I consider myself somewhere in the middle. Still, my point is that it doesn’t make sense waiting for the box that can do it all and still will be affordable. Anyone can buy the top of the bill Denon AVC-A1h. If you’re able to pay for it.
  5. B

Z10000 will be the one to wait for... Mono ESS or AKM DAC's per channel, as you can configure in Sound Uniteds e-portal, with 130 dB SINAD, 15 channels with Audyssey, DIRAC, ARC and even more sound optimizers to choose from, select your own color and brand name (if Marantz fits better into your...
  6. B

As I have tested with two separate external DAC's in 'sort-of-A-v-B-v-C'-comparison... I was able to source a streaming DAC from Argon (Solo with ESS) and Topping (E30 DAC with AKM) cheap. Both 'high-spec' DAC-chips and connected via analog input to my 4700 (CD analog input with very good SINAD...
  7. B

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated)

Aha, sort of stereo with a '+'
  8. B

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated)

Just out of interest; why would you want something like this?
  9. B

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Differences between 4700 and 4800 are: amp lay-out (according to Amirm 4800 is scoring better on SINAD on the internal amps) individual disconnecting of line out for external amps on 4800 on all channels better (newer) DSP more sound processing modes for 4800 made in Japan and not Vietnam Much...
  10. B

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

And don't forget; you will not be able to switch from DIRAC to Audyssey controlled output (for A - B comparison) if you only use one of them. If you take time and do a proper run with Audyssey most likely you will be very happy.
  11. B

I think they are 'about' similar; - same DAC's - different amp lay-out but that shouldn't be an issue - same components, different hands assembling them (Japanese vs. Vietnamese) will not make a difference (see 6700 v 4700) - different way of presenting measurements.... Hey what really has...
  12. B

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Two-and-a-half years ago I bought my 3700 for 800 something euros after calling the lowest webshop and ask for a special deal. One year later after having problems with it I upgraded to the 4700. Again asked for the best price. Now I'm very happy with my 4700 especially since I spent so little...
  13. B

It's a truly great AVR with a lot of functions. The whole DAC-discussion is becoming a little ..... Your ear will not hear the difference in a blindfolded A/B comparison. The whole SINAD discussion is mostly theoretical when you talk about scores in the upper 90's. How many AVR's support...
  14. B

Above what Amirm tested back then. So much higher output! Whit this you can drive the toughest power amps and still have 92 dB SINAD. With a 'normal' external amp with 1.5V sensitivity you get 102dB. There is one big 'IF'... The above only is valid IF you have a 6700 that is produced until...
  15. B

With this model you can decide whether you want to run each audio channel through internal (9 x 'an amount of watts') or external amplification (mostly many more watts) ánd decide if you want to shut off the internal amp in case of the latter. This has a positive impact on the THD+N performance...
  16. B

The 3600 and 1st 3700 didn’t get maximum from the AKM DAC’s. so clearly the construction and/or other components were the limiting factor. If you look closely at the 4800 the power unit really is physically shielded as opposed to the older and lower boxes. Really we only need 90+ @2V and...
  17. B

I don’t believe it matters whether the box is built in Japan or Vietnam. The 6700 also is built in Japan, has the monolithic amp construction and still is outperformed by the 3600 from Viernam with ‘simple’ amp construction. Of course I don’t challenge the 4800’s better SINAD performance as it...
  18. B

Very well said. I wouldn't be surprised at all if next iterations will include higher spec'd DAC's. For now personally I'll focus on optimizing my living room ;-)
  19. B

Pioneer releases new Elite flagship AVR VSX-LX805 with XLR inputs/outputs for front L/R channels

Having 'the best' DAC-chip in your AVR only makes sense for how you perceive the sound coming to you through the speakers (very well described by 'Peng' as the 'placebo-effect') Of course if you have invested in $/€20k speakers with the lowest possible distortion and you are equipped with...
  20. B

I think we're aligned. However it seems to be both more simple as well as cheaper to just exchange one 8-channel DAC for another and do some software changes. From the 8500 until the A1 they now use DAC's in stereo setup. I guess they have a reason for this as two or three multi channels would...
Top Bottom