Search results

1. M

Looking beyond the single headline SINAD value...

Which amps offer the best distortion linearity? What I mean by distortion linearity (possibly the wrong term) is the most consistent (and lowest) distortion vs power across all frequencies. Here is the graph from the NCx500 review: The maximum SINAD before clipping (@15Khz) is about -75dB...
  2. M

Denon AVR vs AVC?

I understand that the R in AVR is for receiver and that this implies the capability to receive radio programs. But why do Denon think europeans wouldn't want AM/FM radio whilst US users would? Also what is the "C" in AVC supposed to stand for? Would there be too much additional cost associated...
  3. M

Denon AVR-X6800H now released.

Just noticed that the AVR-X6800H is now available on the U.S. Denon website. (Can add to cart for $3499). The AVC-X6800H doesn't seem to be released in the U.K. yet, but the AVC-A1H is now selling for £4999 at Peter Tyson, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks etc. (Down from £5999). Anyone got an idea of...
  4. M

What does toe-in mean?

I think people may have different interpretations of the term "toe in". 1) It is relative to the angle where speakers point directly at the main listening position. So toe in means that imagined rays normal to the speaker baffle would cross infront of the listener. 2) It is relative to the...
  5. M

Directional Bass?

Denon AVRs with multiple individual subwoofer outputs (AVR-A1H, AVR-X6800H etc) can be configured for directional bass. Here is a snapshot from the manual... Do you think it is a good idea? My personal thoughts are: 1) It might be useful if you have small satellite speakers and have to use...
  6. M

HDMI gives ARC and eARC will it ever allow AVRC and end lip-sync problems?

It is a very minor thing, but it still irritates, that AVR on-screen menus are lost when the TV is used as the source via ARC or eARC. This got me thinking... If HDMI also allowed video over its return channel then we could have AVRC (effectively an HDMI output for the source inside the TV). In...
  7. M

Passive soundbar or flat panel speakers surround back channels?

As per the title, I'm curious if anyone has tried using a passive soundbar or flat panel speakers for the surround back channels of their AVR, or has thoughts on this? The reason for considering this is that our sofa is unfortunately (and unavoidably) close to the rear wall (about 1 foot) and...
  8. M

Why is Weak Bass recommended here?

(Sorry for the clickbait title)! I've been looking back over the reviews of some of the most recommended speakers and one thing they seem to have in common is really weak bass. Perhaps I'm making an incorrect assumption, but I'd expect that in the ideal world we would aim for the in-room...
  9. M

Can Subs also act as AVAAs?

Conventional room treatment often requires large volumes of absorption material which many of us would rather not have in our living rooms. An alternative is active bass absorption, via AVAA devices like this one: https://www.psiaudio.swiss/avaa-c20-active-bass-trap/ But these are currently...
  10. M

Speaker Switch with 12V Trigger?

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a speaker switch for the following use case... I want to have two different surround sound configurations. 1) for when I'm sitting on my couch and 2) for movie night when we place seats nearer to the TV. Basically, I have front wides and surrounds in...
  11. M

Thought Experiment: Listener Boundary

Consider a baffle wall. The speaker baffles are flush with the wall and so SBIR is eliminated. Now for a slightly odd idea... What if an indentation is made in the listener wall, which you can rest your head back into, so that your ears are flush with the wall. Would this also eliminate LBIR...
  12. M

The problem with Audyssey Dynamic EQ

Overall I'm quite happy with what DEQ does to the frequency response (boosting bass and the high end); but I don't like what it does to the surround channel levels. I just made some measurements with different Dynamic EQ settings to confirm my impression that it boosts the surround channels too...
  13. M

Would this work? (Speaker poking through acoustic panel)

If you can't have your speakers more than about 1.5m away from the front wall then it is sometimes recommended to put the speakers as close as possible to the front wall instead. With speakers > 1.5m from the wall the first cancellation dip due to SBIR will be at about 57Hz (below the typical...
  14. M

MLP near back wall unavoidable - what to do?

It seems everything in audio is a compromise. I guess a pretty common compromise (in normal living rooms, not dedicated listening spaces) is that the main listening position can end up being too close to the rear wall (and can't be moved for whatever reason). Various Audyssey setup guides call...
  15. M

How to restore dried out paper cones?

Just wondering what product (and method) you guys would recommend to restore dried out cones like this one? (Has sat in the sun for too long). Bonus points if you can guess the make and model from that photo! Also for discussion... Do you think condition like this compromises performance at all?
  16. M

How to interpret AVR measurement graphs?

As this is my first post here, I'd like to thank Amir for hosting the site and for all the work that goes into equipment measurement. Debunking marketing claims and helping consumers to make informed choices is important work. Whilst I understand the need for standardised measurements, a lot of...
Top Bottom