Search results

1. pkane

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE - Auto-measured with Multitone

I don't know if this post is about the extremely nice, new RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE interface or about the new automated measurement capability of the Multitone app :) Most of these measurements were done automatically using a Multitone test plan (I'll share in a separate post). This new feature...
  2. pkane

PGGB upsampler: DeltaWave null analysis

PGGB is an expensive off-line upsampler that promises an extremely high resolution reconstruction of a lower-res recordings (like Redbook), using up to 256-bit floating point computation and avoiding the need to use sinc interpolation (according to the author). If you read the often glowing...
  3. pkane

Surprise findings on Ethernet cables/cleaners/reclockers

This was posted on another forum (in German): Ethernet Infrastructure Measurements - Switches https://www.open-end-music.com/forum/privatforen/thomas-michael-rudolph-tmr/651284-messungen-von-ethernet-infrastruktur-switches-nur-lesen Use Google translate if you need help reading it. Eric, the...
  4. pkane

Does a 4 million taps FIR filter sound better than a 16K one? Let's find out.

Claim A claim is frequently made that DAC digital filters with a lot of taps can make a significant difference in sound quality. Some software packages and even hardware manufacturers are touting the benefits of large FIR filters, often with millions of taps, supposedly because these produce a...
  5. pkane

Quick measurements of Pass Aleph 1.2 monoblock amplifier

My personal amplifier/space heater/weight-training device is the Nelson Pass' Aleph 1.2 monoblock. I've had this pair since mid-nineties, and while I also have other amps on hand, this one has been the primary one dedicated to music listening (although it also served double-duty in the home...
  6. pkane

Beta Test: Multitone Loopback Analyzer software

This is a software beta-test for IMD and THD aficionados with an intense desire for multi-tone audio testing :) The start of the documentation and the download website is here: https://distortaudio.org/multitone.html (for 64-bit Windows) Multi-tone Analyzer (MA) was more of an experiment than...
  7. pkane

Quick measurements: Holo Audio Spring DAC v1 Level 1

This DAC has been measured before, but I think my results are sufficiently different to warrant yet another data point. This is stock Holo Spring v1, Level 1, R2R DAC. Measured using ADI-2 Pro FS ADC and REW. Some of the highlights: Lower THD+N -108.1dBFS @1KHz Lower jitter Cleaner multi-tone...
  8. pkane

PK Error Metric discussion and beta-test

As many of you know, I created DeltaWave app for null-type differencing comparisons between two audio files: reference and comparison. I'd like to propose a new error metric that I just added to DeltaWave. Due to a complete lack of product naming skills, I'm calling it the PK Error Metric:)The...
  9. pkane

Quick measurements Dekoni pads vs stock on Hifiman HE-560 v1

As I mentioned in another thread, the pads on my 4-year old HE-560 headphones are wearing out. I use them at least a few hours a day and like the sound (after my own EQ) and like the pads, except they keep my ears a bit more toasty than I like after prolonged wearing. Ordered the Dekoni Elite...
  10. pkane

Announcing beta-test of PKHarmonic VST plugin

As discussed in a separate thread, this is a beta-test of a VST (Windows) plugin to allow you to dial-in an arbitrary amount of harmonic distortion while playing music with your favorite music player. Now you can enjoy that second harmonic without investing many thousands of $$$ into a tube...
  11. pkane

Asking for input on a VST Harmonic Distortion plugin

Hey folks, asking for your feedback in an informal poll. If you know about my DISTORT software (https://distortaudio.org) you know that it allows an arbitrary harmonic distortion to be constructed and applied to any test signal or a music track of your choice. Some have used this capability...
  12. pkane

Headphone EQ with in-ear microphones

I know there are a number of threads on this already, and maybe even one or two that I started, so I apologize in advance for yet another ;) I've done this type of measurement previously, and usually EQed it to a flat or slightly sloping target with good results. This time, I wanted to check to...
  13. pkane

Beta Test: Earful -- a hearing test App

Based on the discussion and a poll earlier, I'm starting a new thread to beta-test Earful. An app designed to measure the lower threshold of audibility for a range of frequencies. https://distortaudio.org/earful.html The app is free to use. Some instructions on how to use it are at the above...
  14. pkane

Anyone interested in an at home hearing test?

This is intended to gauge the interest in a piece of software designed to measure the lower thresholds of audibility across the audio spectrum. I wrote it a couple of years ago for my own use, but had a few folks approach me recently to ask if they could try it. My question is: would you be...
  15. pkane

Quick measurements of dbx DriveRack PA2 speaker management system

PA2 is a nice little box designed for quick and easy setup of a speaker system with adjustable crossover, automatic room correction, PEQ and GEQ, delay and gain adjustments, as well as feedback cancellation (notch filters). The box has a reasonably easy, pro-looking interface but the ability to...
  16. pkane

Multi-tone audio testing?

It's often stated that single tone sine-wave tests that are typically used by audio engineers are insufficient to characterize a device under test. The intuitive claim made is that music consists of many tones combined, and so more complex test signals must be used to determine how a device will...
  17. pkane

Schiit's Jason Stoddard on blind testing

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-3798#post-15486474
  18. pkane

Quick measurements of Behringer Ultracurve DEQ2496

DEQ2496 is a very complex device with many features and functions. It can work in digital domain entirely, or convert between digital and analog for both, inputs and outputs. First up is digital performance. This is measured using optical input and output, so the signal never leaves digital...
  19. pkane

Headphone virtual 5.1 or 7.1 software?

I've come across a few hardware solutions for 5.1 or 7.1 reproduction using headphones, and some software ones. I'm particularly interested in any software out there that is capable of playing 5.1 (or other multi-channel) content over my own headphones without spending thousands of dollars. My...
  20. pkane

Quick Measurement: Creative Labs Soundblaster 5.1 X-Fi USB interface SB1090

Through an 'accidental' purchase, I wound up with a used Soundblaster X-Fi, surround sound external card/interface. This has a 5.1 channel DAC with up to 24/96k, and a 24-bit 48K/96K two channel ADC. Model # SB1090. I don't think these are still manufactured, but are available on the used market...
Top Bottom