Search results

1. D

Peter Walkers Quad

I know that it isn't remotely, his Quad company after all these years!:) However, can you guys who understand the technicalities of amplifier specifications, explain to me why the current Artera mono amp. appears to be far more powerful than the Stereo version. This is going by the figures on...
  2. D

Sorry, none hi-fi specific!

The new bedside digital clock has three brightness settings. The dimmest is far too bright. If I could introduce an attenuator between the wall plug and the clock, would reduced current possibly produce a dimmer display? Sorry if at the age of eighty I am displaying my extreme ignorance of...
  3. D

Emoticons

Any ideas as to why my emoticons don't appear when I post, please?
  4. D

Quad

Just discovered that Quad have produced an Artera monoblok , should my Platinums ever fail beyond repair! A bit puzzled they are claiming 300w into 8, while the stereo version is only 180! Very odd. Mind you, dirt cheap at £2600 for a pair, compared to the £5000 the Platinums were! For me...
  5. D

Smartphone as listening experience

On our holiday in Madeira, I am playing music through OnePlus 5, Quobuz. At the mo'. Phone on the sofa, with the cushions vaguely piled on top gives a neighbour sympathetic, but in house, nice experience! John Mayer, Walt Grace the music! No wonder that loudspeakers are still open for...
  6. D

Bloody Telly

My dear bro' has just asked me. "Despite, twice being asked ""are you sure!"", I went for a factory reset on the bedroom Panny TX P42 S20BA". Now, plugged into a roof aerial, as before, the programme search can't find any channels. Apparently, he can't get out of bed without having watched at...
  7. D

PC finally given up the ghost

Forgive me guys, it is simply that. Twelve years old Dell Inspiron. I've taken the side off and peered in. Fans running, six repeating beeps and that's it. Don't know where the beeps are coming from, no speakers attached. I don't mind having a fiddle, if anything comes to mind?
  8. D

Primary school homework

On the Today Radio programme this morning. Kirstie Allsopp and Steve Chalk claiming that getting primary school children to do homework, actually damages them, mentally, and fails to give them any educational advantage over children who aren't given homework. And then claiming that this is...
  9. D

To monoblock or not to monoblock

While I appreciate that on ASR, powered speakers are considered the ultimate answer, I just wondered if there is still a useful purpose for mono power amps, compared to stereo, in the situation where either is a possibility? (ie my own situation!)
  10. D

Protecting, not conditioning

Earlier, a poster has enquired about replacing a power conditioner in a situation where the power supply is apparently very precarious. Last Sunday, twice within an hour we had mini power cuts. By which I mean, instant blinking off and on of lights. In both cases, the Quad amps and pre-amp went...
  11. D

Short, subjective Sierra LX review

Spendor S100's removed from dedicated stands, and pushed into a corner. These little beauties, on the same stands with the help of some modified cupboard shelving. Each speaker half over the REL subs, as were the Spendors. The stands tilted back fractionally to try to aim the Tweeter at the...
  12. D

Speaker smaller than Spendor S100,

Forgive me, this started as an integrate subs with electrostatic loudspeaker thread, and then, when I belatedly checked the physical size of esp's, I realized I simply didn't have the space for a pair. So now, it is smaller than 70cm height, 37cm width, and 43cm depth. They will have to sit on...
  13. D

How easy to use subwoofers with electrostatic speaks!

Specifically Quad , if anyone knows. Also hopefully I've posted this in the right place! :)
  14. D

Amp building for simpletons

Please, how little skill is necessary, to turn a Hypex DIY kit, for instance, into a working amplifier?
  15. D

The perfection that is ASR

Simply, isn't ASR just wonderfull. Rock solid modern sota class D amplification, DAC's etc! Alongside, Dickensian era devices, such as vinyl and tubed amplification! One can stream some Beethoven, while rereading Pickwick Papers. Just marvellous
  16. D

Qutest voltage

Couple points please. If I could change the voltage to 2 or 3 volts on startup, would that actually mean an increase in playback volume at any given setting? Also, if anyone has managed to do this, any tips would be gratefully received. To save all of your time, I have studied the manual and had...
  17. D

Radio 3

Washing up in the kitchen. Radio 3 on the Amazon Echo. I thought, what more could any music lover want! Whaddya think?
  18. D

What makes it worthwhile

Following a desperately tense and very strange two hours plus of football. Steely Dan, Aja, on the system. Heaven!
  19. D

Speaker Stand Modifying

These are my once and always stands! If for instance, a Kef R3 replaced the Spendors, it would need to sit perhaps four or five inches higher. The speaker sits on a bar which is visible at the front. A single metal bar runs across the middle of the speaker, front to rear. At the back is a...
  20. D

A subwoofer bonus

Am I getting this right guys? I should be able to replace my large standmount three way speakers with smaller speakers? Then, simply "tune" the subs to reach "higher", in order to cover a reduced main speaker range? Specifically , replace Spendor S100 with Kef r3,s or, reference1,s.
Top Bottom