Search results

1. N

Help me fix my broken Revel C12!

Hey there DIY'ers. I recently ordered an old but "new" Revel C12. It's a 3-way center channel from the aughts. Unfortunately, it was immediately clear something was wrong with the speaker, and later measurements showed a very deep null around 3.5 kHz. It seemed like an honest mistake and I've...
  2. N

SOLD: Revel M126Be Pair (Walnut) - $1600 for *both* (NYC pickup) or $1700+shipping

Hi! I'm selling a pair of amazing Revel M126Be's and wanted to give ASR members first dibs on a good price. There are a few scratches, but I felt I got an amazing deal on these, and I wanted to return the favor. This means I'm firm on the $1600/1700 price; they sell new for $4,400. Venmo or...
  3. N

Center with good directivity for Revel M126Be?

I thought I'd consult the hive mind and see what others with the M126Be or perhaps the M106 were using for center channels with decent horizontal directivity. The C208 seems like the obvious choice, but I'd really like to keep it under $1000 shipped (the less the better lol). Plus it's massive...
  4. N

Fluance Ai41 Spinorama and Measurements

Fluance Ai41. So they are kind of interesting. $249, 5 inch woofers. The tonality is poor(bright), especially given there's some DSP on board. But the speakers get most of the rest decent for the price, so I don't hate 'em. I personally like the looks, they don't have much hiss, and they don't...
  5. N

Buchardt S400 *MKII* Spinorama and measurements

Hi all! Been a while since I posted new measurements. Unfortunately, it's likely I won't be measuring speakers very often anymore due to some changes at work and life stuff. Plus most of my time devoted to audio these days are going towards me learning the piano and music theory. My current...
  6. N

Paradigm Founder 100F Measurements (via Soundstage Network)

Just noticed Soundstage Network uploaded the measurements for the Paradigm Founder 1000F (review isn't up yet). It looks like a big improvement from some of the recent paradigm stuff...
  7. N

Polk Reserve R200: Spinorama and measurements (a really nice surprise!)

Well, after being disappointed by the Focal Solo6 Be, I have something better for you. Here's the new Polk Reserve R200, at $700 a pair. Behold: Say whatttt. I mean okay, the Di curves aren't the best, but look how flat that listening window is! It handily outdoes the more expensive Legend...
  8. N

Focal Solo6 Be: Spinorama and measurements

Knocking off my backlog of speaker measurements. Next up is the Focal Solo 6 Be: Imo, it's disappointing. The on-axis is jagged, but that's at least mostly within +/-2dB. The off-axis is a mess. Some of you know I really like almost all focal stuff, and I still appreciate the wider than...
  9. N

JBL 4309: Spinorama and measurements

Shoop de woop, I've got another spinorama scoop. This is the new JBL 4309. A retro-looking bookshelf speaker with a wider than usual baffle despite a 6.5-inch woofer. The speaker sounds good, there's a narrow directivity mismatch at the crossover due to the vertical, can't say it's been...
  10. N

Genelec 8341A spinorama and measurements

Had my go at the Genelec 8341A today. Just posting the spin for now, as there's nothing you're gonna get from me that you don't from Amir's measurements. Behold: VituixCAD doesn't quite get the off-axis low bass right, but eh, close enough! Compared to amir's results: So yeah, pretty good...
  11. N

Sonos Roam Portable Speaker: Spinorama and measurements (more proof mainstream speakers can be real good)

Measured the Sonos Roam today, the company's new, smaller bluetooth speaker. Here's the spin at 80% volume (measured at ~ 0.6m). So this is around 76dB@1m. Please read the disclaimer at the end of the post And here an estimate of it at 60% volume (i spliced a nearfield woofer measurement...
  12. N

3D printing desktop speakers. Thoughts?

Hey y'all. I'm getting a 3D printer (Prusa MK3S+) and I thought it might be interesting to have myself a go at making my first set of DIY speakers. The MK3S+ has a print volume of 9.84 x 8.3 x 8 in, so something really small for a desktop, perhaps. Any idea on what might be an easyish design to...
  13. N

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

Quasi-anechoic measurements are a way to capture the 'real' frequency response of a speaker without the influence of a room. They are called 'quasi-anechoic' because they have the potential to get you really close to the results one might achieve with a non-reflective environment like an...
  14. N

JBL HDI-1600 Spinorama and Measurements

The more I measure speakers in my new backyard, the more I realize how lucky I was to have started measuring speakers indoors in my old place with high ceilings. It was so easy! Outdoors I have to deal with rain, the cold, the wind, a crazy high NYC noise floor. I tried to measure this speaker...
  15. N

KEF LS50 Meta Spinorama and Measurements

I've had KEF's new darling, the LS50 Meta, for a couple of months now, but have only just been able to complete measurements of them. I expected this one to be a fairly straightforward measurement, as luckily KEF provides its own spinorama for the LS50 Meta, complete with early reflections...
  16. N

MiniDSP begins selling upgraded Umik-2 and 'Umik-X' array

MiniDSP just sent a newsletter email detailing a fancier Umik-2 ($195) and Umik-X ($200). Hadn't seen it shared here yet. The Umik-2 has a larger capsule with lower noise and distortion, which could make it better for measuring distortion and at high SPLs. It also supports more sample rates...
  17. N

Google Nest Audio Spinorama and Measurements

Hi! I published my review of the Google Nest Audio today. You can read that here. It's written for a more mainstream tech audience, but most of the same information is there, so I'll try to keep this post relatively light on the non-measurement-related text. As I note in my review, when Google...
  18. N

Soundstage Network will be doing AP Analyzer measurements

Thought this was nice to read today. They bought an APx555 B. More measurements for everyone! https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/opinion/1491-more-measurements-heres-why
  19. N

Buchardt A500 Measurements and Spinorama

I have another measurement for you today! The Buchardt A500 is really like almost nothing else out there at its price. It's also a pain to measure :) With the various tunings, you basically get several speakers in one. These go beyond basic EQ, affecting directivity properties for the bass in...
  20. N

JBL L82 Classic: Spinorama and Measurements

It's been a while! I've had the JBL L82 for some time now, and as far as I know, there are no published measurements for it yet. So here I am =] An incomplete post for now. Full suite of measurements and interpretations once I've published my review and formatted all the data, but in the...
Top Bottom