Search results

1. N

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

I've met Dr Choueiri a couple of times and briefly visited his lab. I found the quote highly suspect and thought to ask him about it, but then I figured it wasn't worth dragging him into this...
  2. N

Well, it's a little complicated. The PIR is 12% Listening Window, 44% Early Reflections, 44% Sound Power. The listening window and sound power are pretty much independent things. But the angles used to calculate the early reflections are based on a Harman study published by Allan Devantier in...
  3. N

Well, there's no such thing as "equal measuring" speakers that aren't the same model. If they're not different in frequency response, they're different in directivity, and those will have the primary effect on sound you hear given you're listening at a level that isn't straining one of the...
  4. N

I think Gene alluded to something in his own video! Honestly, I can only think of a handful of incidents where another party was so upset over coverage in my own career. There was that one time North Korea was mad with us for writing about The Interview... Anyway, I'm curious to see how things...
  5. N

It's been pointed out several times that several tekton speakers measure decently, and Erin liked the speakers he reviewed. That's what makes the entire incident so bizarre. There has been so much attention because this is really the most egregious behavior many of us have witnessed from a...
  6. N

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

As a former journalist, I could not agree with this more. For all people like to harp on "the press" these days , one thing being part of a larger media organization helps with is preventing this sort of bullying. People often assume that if a publication writes something negative about a...
  7. N

............ ............................... He can't seriously be trying to pass off the individual woofer response as the speaker's full measurement? I'd like to believe he just sent the wrong file but I think enough benefit of the doubt has been extended. Oof.
  8. N

Yep, 100% agree. That's all I was trying to get at.
  9. N

Am I stopping him lol? I'm just saying you can dislike the guy (a lot) without jumping to conclusions or making stuff up -- he dug his own hole. But I also recognize that almost none of the speaker companies I've ever asked for measurements have sent me any... And I've asked *a lot*. Even when I...
  10. N

In the midst of all this drama, including my own critiques of Eric's behavior, I do agree with others that we can criticize available data, design decisions, and handling of reviews without resorting to adhominems and exaggerations about the measurable performance of Tekton speakers as a whole...
  11. N

Temporarily putting aside the community's documented problems with your response to Amir and Erin's reviews, I'll take a stab at conveying my perspective, note a few things, and ask a few questions: 1) Do you provide documentation or other explicit indication to the end user that a speaker that...
  12. N

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

It's definitely not being used for promotion. Whether a lawsuit has actually emerged, I do not know, but this isn't the first time Tekton's designer has threatened a reviewer with litigation. (Edited because my initial tone sounded more argumentative than I meant it to be!).
  13. N

There have been several instances where there's been a mismatch between a manufacturer's approach and measurements here that have resulted in thoughtful responses and improvements to the product (Ascend), refinement to Amir's test conditions and measurements (Neumann KH80), or the discovery of a...
  14. N

DIY spinorama turntables

Ugh y'all are so fancy and talented. Meanwhile this is me: The amount of times I've nearly dropped a speaker... Maybe if I ever start measuring speakers for real again I'll pay one of you to make me something nice.:D One thing I'd like to investigate is the effect of different stands on...
  15. N

Help me fix my broken Revel C12!

Thank you both. Was asking about the tweeters. Revel didn't respond over email but I'll give them another try. Will definitely check that nothing is wrong with crossover first, but I don't mind paying a bit to start with a fresh tweeter anyway.
  16. N

Help me fix my broken Revel C12!

Thank you! Where did you get your replacements? I've been too busy to investigate this further but I'll hopefully have some time this weekend.
  17. N

Neumann kh80+kh750+m1 vs. Neumann kh120ii+kh750+m1

I think it depends on the setup. If the KH80 is not being substantially taxed, I it's possible the lower distortion of KH120II won't be noticeable to you. In my experience, distortion usually isn't a problem until it is. Where "it is" happens will depend on your setup. If you were using them in...
  18. N

Paradigm 500C vs SVS Ultra Center

I can't find directivity data for the Ultra Center. The 500C was measured by Audioholics: That's solid.
  19. N

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Nice!! I normally don't care about components much, but I've been looking for another small amp for my center channel, and this looks amazing for the price.
  20. N

Klippel Near-field Scanner - room reflections and the estimated in-room response

Yeah, and totally agree about not putting too much weight into the score, but to be clear the PIR is just part of the score. I forget where exactly the PIR calculation comes from, but I recall it is: 12% Direct: Listening Window, 44% Early Reflections, 44% Late: Sound Power. Once you have...
Top Bottom